• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I got two yards of top soil this spring and pilled them up as a crossbow and rifle backstop for 50 yards at my house. I figured it was ready andmy daughter shot it with a crossbow bolt and it sank 20" plus deep. Now I got to try and find it with a metal detector and dig it out.

How long does it take for dirt to compact?

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    About 30 years or so , you have to tamp down the soil IMHO after you place layer upon layer .

That is to do it as tight as possible , but loose dirt will be loose dirt or mud for a while .

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    About 30 years or so

What? Way less than that.

At my old house, my neighbor and I both built garages within a couple years of each other. We both had to build up dirt to build on. Both were hard enough to build on after about a month. Each time there were some hard rains that helped pack things down, but both times the county tested the hardness of the soil, and could barely get the tool in the ground.

It really depends on rain. You need a hard rain or two to pack it all down, and then you need dryness for it to harden up.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    What? Way less than that.

At my old house, my neighbor and I both built garages within a couple years of each other. We both had to build up dirt to build on. Both were hard enough to build on after about a month. Each time there were some hard rains that helped pack things down, but both times the county tested the hardness of the soil, and could barely get the tool in the ground.

It really depends on rain. You need a hard rain or two to pack it all down, and then you need dryness for it to harden up.

I was kinda playing , to really compact ground without the use of nature you really have to get in a tamp it .

In our fire lane at our shop we needed to compact the dirt to certain requirements so fire trucks would not sink . If i was putting in a back stop i would tamp .

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Soil is a hole subject area for civil engineers...

Different dirt acts differently for many things. Compacting. Absorption. Mixing with other dirt. Etcetera.

This is holey true.:rolleyes:

Topsoil is meant to be light and arable. You don't want it to be able to be compacted. It defeats the purpose.

Put a couple-three layers of cardboard up first and see if that helps to slow the bolts down some.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Also, if you stand a deer up there in front of the backstop, it soaks up a lot of the energy. In our neighborhood, there's a damn deer standing in front of everything. Well, everything except ornamental shrubs, because they ate those already.

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    This is holey true.:rolleyes:

Topsoil is meant to be light and arable. You don't want it to be able to be compacted. It defeats the purpose.

Put a couple-three layers of cardboard up first and see if that helps to slow the bolts down some.

this, top soil not meant to compact bank run IMO something with lots of clay a wood wall behind bank run couldn't hurt

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Also, if you stand a deer up there in front of the backstop, it soaks up a lot of the energy. In our neighborhood, there's a damn deer standing in front of everything. Well, everything except ornamental shrubs, because they ate those already.

:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom