• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • airbornetrooper

Nov 9, 2017
    VA
    This 1941 Tula production SVT-40 is actually a unique Finnish remanufactured example. This variety is distinguished by the tiny “L” in the circle marking on the receiver bridge flat (near the Tula star) that stands for Leonard Lindelöf's Metal Works. Similar examples will also exhibit crossed out serial numbers with a new Finnish serial number (lacking a prefix) substituted above. This weapon lacks the notch on the receiver bridge that would otherwise distinguish it as a sniper rifle. Finnish troops captured over 3,000 SVT-38 (the predecessor to the SVT-40) rifles during the Winter War in 1939-1940. An additional 17,000 SVT-38 and SVT-40 (predominately the latter) rifles were captured during the opening stages of Continuation War.

These rifles were very popular among Finnish troops (hundreds were estimated as being taken home as unauthorized war souvenirs), which often put captured Tokarev rifles into action against their former owners immediately. Sniper versions of both Tokarev rifles were very rare finds among weaponry captured by the Finns. However, shortage of spare-parts was constant problem with these rifles. By the end of Continuation War over 14,000 of them had been handed over by the troops that had captured them for repairs and were subsequently warehoused. Most of these were warehoused because of worn out barrels and/or other broken parts and awaited repairs, which were never done. In 1958 the remaining Tokarev rifles were declared obsolete and sold abroad by Interarms around 1959 - 1961. Many of these came to the United States and will lack import marks due to coming into the country before the 1968 Gun Control Act

Attachments

• IMG_0104.jpg
      IMG_0104.jpg
      134 KB · Views: 1,165
    • IMG_E0106.jpg
      IMG_E0106.jpg
      51.4 KB · Views: 2,034
    • IMG_E0107.jpg
      IMG_E0107.jpg
      45.2 KB · Views: 1,216
    • IMG_E0117.jpg
      IMG_E0117.jpg
      113.9 KB · Views: 1,063
    • IMG_E0114.jpg
      IMG_E0114.jpg
      62.1 KB · Views: 1,073
    • IMG_E0113.jpg
      IMG_E0113.jpg
      102 KB · Views: 1,123
    • IMG_0128.jpg
      IMG_0128.jpg
      179.4 KB · Views: 1,070
    • IMG_E0116.jpg
      IMG_E0116.jpg
      124.8 KB · Views: 1,119

DHCraig

Aug 21, 2012
    South County
    I've posted more this evening than almost ever- though usually quiet, can't help but compliment you on this SVT. The stock is beautiful and condition appears darned good for weapon through what it has been. To say the least. Thanks for the info, I love learning from folks here.

Jul 1, 2012
    Very nice! That's one Finn capture I'd embrace (so to speak).
    Thanks for the info too, usually when I see crossed out S/N it's a real turn off (think VOPO force-match etc) but in this case it's a plus.

I waited too long for the SVT-40, prices have gone up considerably lately.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Oh yeah, that's the real deal. Probably the nicest piece of furniture I've seen on any SVT-38 or 40. Years ago I got to slobber over Zeebill's SVT-38 and would probably do the same given the opportunity to this one. So very nice, thanks for sharing!
    I got one of the plain Jane Russian refurbs many years ago. Probably the only time I saw supplies drying up and acted instead of sitting on my hands. That $300 purchase is probably worth 3x that today. I don't track Finn SVT-40 values but I'm confident that airbornetrooper's would fetch 5x that at least, probably considerably more. I figure I see a 10-1 ratio of Russian import vs Finn capture in SVT-40s.

metalman3006

Gun Hoarder
    Sep 6, 2007
    Church Hill, MD
    Nice wood! ;-) Here is mine, some old pics from awhile ago. Wood on mine is crappy.

Attachments

• svt 009.JPG
      svt 009.JPG
      53.2 KB · Views: 962
    • svt 004.JPG
      svt 004.JPG
      84.1 KB · Views: 1,024

airbornetrooper

Nov 9, 2017
    VA
    Thanks all for the replies and comments.

Oh yeah, that's the real deal. Probably the nicest piece of furniture I've seen on any SVT-38 or 40. Years ago I got to slobber over Zeebill's SVT-38 and would probably do the same given the opportunity to this one. So very nice, thanks for sharing!
    I got one of the plain Jane Russian refurbs many years ago. Probably the only time I saw supplies drying up and acted instead of sitting on my hands. That $300 purchase is probably worth 3x that today. I don't track Finn SVT-40 values but I'm confident that airbornetrooper's would fetch 5x that at least, probably considerably more. I figure I see a 10-1 ratio of Russian import vs Finn capture in SVT-40s.

Zeebill and I are good friends as well. I have never had the chance to see his collection in person, but I hope to get the chance before I PCS from Virginia next year. You did well picking one up that price. I can tell you that $900 for an SVT would be a good deal today, $1200 seems to be more of the going rate. Surprisingly the Finnish marked guns fetch only a slight premium over their Soviet refurbished counterparts

Nice wood! ;-) Here is mine, some old pics from awhile ago. Wood on mine is crappy.

That is too cool! You also have a Lindholf marked rifle. Not too different than mine, very similar characteristics (crossed out serial and new addition, L mark on receiver flat).

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Zeebill and I happened to be in York for the one and only time that the Small Arms Review Show East happened to be held there. He was helping man the tables of friends and had just picked up the SVT-38 that weekend. Only the second example I had seen in the flesh. A decent show but poorly attended by the public. I got lots of swag there, including the Century Arms soft case you see me carry about at auctions and gunshows.

Thanks all for the replies and comments.

Zeebill and I are good friends as well. I have never had the chance to see his collection in person, but I hope to get the chance before I PCS from Virginia next year. You did well picking one up that price. I can tell you that $900 for an SVT would be a good deal today, $1200 seems to be more of the going rate. Surprisingly the Finnish marked guns fetch only a slight premium over their Soviet refurbished counterparts

That is too cool! You also have a Lindholf marked rifle. Not too different than mine, very similar characteristics (crossed out serial and new addition, L mark on receiver flat).

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    GREAT Finn SVT! :thumbsup: Love the stock and overall character.
    I own several SVTs, but none from Lindelöf Metal Works. My 38 isn’t a Finn, but I dig it, too ;)

Here are a couple of my favorite Finn Toks.

Attachments

• 9903E2E8-E4C9-4EC8-90DB-247C0DF349B4.jpeg
      9903E2E8-E4C9-4EC8-90DB-247C0DF349B4.jpeg
      71 KB · Views: 316

airbornetrooper

Nov 9, 2017
    VA
    GREAT Finn SVT! :thumbsup: Love the stock and overall character.
    I own several SVTs, but none from Lindelöf Metal Works. My 38 isn’t a Finn, but I dig it, too ;)

Here are a couple of my favorite Finn Toks.

Just had to show up with more things that I need, thanks Chris :)

In all seriousness, those are both terrific pieces. I am very impressed.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Hey - so I may actually have a couple of Finns you don’t...(yet) ;)
    You have WAAAY more of the rarer Finns than do I. We should meet up at least once to talk shop/compare notes before you PCS out. Plus, some of your Finns may need to be culled before you move...:innocent0

Here’s another SVT you don’t have. I say that because Alex says it’s the only ‘42 Finn captured sniper known, thus far. Please forgive the harsh lighting and old cell phone pics (and the Numrich mount).

Attachments

• 0BF644DD-D1B5-4FF7-AACE-A978E3C36E4D.jpg
      0BF644DD-D1B5-4FF7-AACE-A978E3C36E4D.jpg
      102.7 KB · Views: 279

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    You have WAAAY more of the rarer Finns than do I. We should meet up at least once to talk shop/compare notes before you PCS out. Plus, some of your Finns may need to be culled before you move...:innocent0

Here’s another SVT you don’t have. I say that because Alex says it’s the only ‘42 Finn captured sniper known, thus far. Please forgive the harsh lighting and old cell phone pics (and the Numrich mount).

Serious Finn SVT envy in this thread on my part. :drool:

airbornetrooper

Nov 9, 2017
    VA

Well thank you, I think we both have collections that the other are envious as I feel the same way about yours. I would certainly enjoy a good session of drinks and Finns before I leave in the spring.

That is an uber cool SVT right there. Very, very few post-1941 Finnish captured SVT-40's of any kind known. A sniper variant is a true unicorn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom