• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    I’ve been around here for a while. I value all of your guys opinions when it comes to firearms so I need some help making my a tough decision. I started a thread about my interest in getting a 44 mag and got some great suggestions. Only problem is, I need to sell something I have in order to buy what I want. The wife was less than pleased when I told her I wanted to drop almost a grand on another gun. I’m going with the model 29 classic series btw.
    So I decided if something needs to go, my Springfield Armory 1911 trp would be the one. It’s one of the older models with the wood grips. I bought it used from buds gun shop about 8 years ago so I’m not sure of the round count but I have put about 500 or so rounds through it. I paid 1100 for it. I’m hoping 950-1000 would be a fair asking price for it. The action is still tight but I’ve recently got a few failure to feeds with it due to the mag springs on the original mags being worn out.
    It’s in good shape except for the idiot scratch from the previous owner under the slide lock lever. The checkering is still sharp.

Should I keep it or make a move on to the wonderful world of magnum revolvers? I figure I could always buy another 1911 up the road and it doesn’t have to be match quality. I know that nobody can make the decision for me but I would like to hear some opinions one way or the other. Thanks

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    My advice is , keep it. You'll eventually regret selling it. You'll also shoot the 44mag less probably. Due to higher ammo prices. Keep saving your pennies. That m29 will still ne around.

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    Im of the buy it keep it. Crowd.
    You can make mo money. Can't get the steel back.

btw,
    You will not shoot a Magnum as often. I curtailed to one cylinder, 5 shots per a trip to a range that would let me shoot it. Indoors were a universal no.
    I own a S&W 500.
    You will remember shooting it the next day if you shoot 20 rounds.

firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    You guys are absolutely right. I just needed a voice of reason. I’m a bit impulsive when it comes to wanting guns. It’s just the wife puts a spending cap on me for new shootin iron so sometimes I’m willing to go desperate measures to get what I want. I don’t shoot the 45 much so it would naturally end up on the chopping block first. Makes it even harder when I already got a couple people interested in it.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    There's no way I'd ever sell a Springfield 1911 TRP to get a new, S&W Model 29 Classic.

The cost of factory loaded .44 Magnum is prohibitive for casual plinking. Even reloading .44 isn't cheap but, does save a few $ if you cast your own bullets and have a reloading bench already set-up.

You'll be very lucky and may have to wait quite awhile before you get $1000 for an eight year-old TRP with an unknown round-count and damage to the finish. If it were me, I'd keep it and wait until I could find a used pre-lock Model 29 in decent shape.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    This is a buyers market, gun sales are down. I don't see you getting that money for your gun at this time. If you really want a Model 29, try to figure out how to buy it while keeping the 1911. They are 2 different beasts and you will regret selling the 1911. Also as mentioned, the 44 mag is one of those calibers that don't get shot much for various reasons. If a nice smith revolver is desired look at a .357 instead and just add it to your handgun collection.

kaliroger

Jul 20, 2018
    Frederick County, MD
    Yeah to JR88's advice. If I were you, I would listen to JR88 and keep the 1911. If you do decide to buy another 1911 you'll surely have to pay a lot more for it down the line. Down the line, you can get your 44 and most likely for about what its going to cost now.

firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    Agreed. The 1911 stays in the safe. I’m glad you guys persuaded me to not make a mistake. I think I’m going to order a new recoil spring and some new mags to freshen it up. She needs some long overdue range time.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Good choice. I’d keep the TRP as well. Otherwise, you would be selling a gun which could used frequently at reasonable ammo costs for one you wouldn’t shoot nearly as much. Consider a Ruger Super Blackhawk when the opportunity arises. They shoot very well. Or a 460 Rowland conversion for your TRP.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    There's no way I'd ever sell a Springfield 1911 TRP to get a new, S&W Model 29 Classic.

This. If it was a pre-bulls**t Model 29, then maybe. I've been itching for one of those for years. Maybe it was watching Dirty Harry when I was younger (and I promised myself I would never buy a gun because of a movie), but I want one. And a pre-S&W PPK. :lol:

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    This. If it was a pre-bulls**t Model 29, then maybe. I've been itching for one of those for years. Maybe it was watching Dirty Harry when I was younger (and I promised myself I would never buy a gun because of a movie), but I want one. And a pre-S&W PPK. :lol:

m8qNPgP.jpg

I bought a new Model 629-6 back in January of 2017 and after 8 months and 3 trips back to S&W for warranty repairs for the same problem (cylinder binding with Magnum loads), I sold it to a friend with full-disclosure for less than half of what I had in it. Lesson learned: they don't make them like they used to.

The repair order above is a great example of S&W's BS-customer service. I never said a word about either 'hard extraction in one cylinder' or a 'loose ejector rod'. My complaint was binding with Magnum loads to the point where I had to use a rubber mallet to open the cylinder to extract empty shells.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Conditional maybe .

I'm a revolver guy, and I like big bore S&Ws on purpose . If you are , or are willing to become, a reloader keep yourself in a supply of 240 swcs @ +/- 1000fps , and enjoy . I'd definitely go with an older decent shooter than a new Classic . And I'd be willing to part with a TRP to cover half the cost .

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    Conditional maybe .

I'm a revolver guy, and I like big bore S&Ws on purpose . If you are , or are willing to become, a reloader keep yourself in a supply of 240 swcs @ +/- 1000fps , and enjoy . I'd definitely go with an older decent shooter than a new Classic . And I'd be willing to part with a TRP to cover half the cost .

Like most people on here I would keep the TRP. But unlike many I don't have any problems shooting 44mag. I own 4. If you reload with a load like Biggfoot suggest it will cost less than a new box of 9mm and be very pleasant to shoot. And of course you can shoot 44 specials if you want an even softer load. Don't be intimidated by 44 magnum but keep the TRP and buy a 44 later JMHO

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom