• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Wow, did this just change recently. I just got a NH permit a few months ago so I could carry in PA.

Yes, very recent. In March if I’ve not mistaken.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    wow so sad, and appalling, about Penna. did lots of hunting there, dad grew up there, just hard to believe they're so anti. just don't get any hesitation to allow licensed concealed carriers. has to be by far the most law-abiding portion of the general population. amazing how you can have constitutional carry in one state, and a contiguous state not fully allowing concealed carry.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    wow so sad, and appalling, about Penna. did lots of hunting there, dad grew up there, just hard to believe they're so anti. just don't get any hesitation to allow licensed concealed carriers. has to be by far the most law-abiding portion of the general population. amazing how you can have constitutional carry in one state, and a contiguous state not fully allowing concealed carry.

Yup, it's an imaginary problem. In this case, there are plenty of states that have gone shall issue for concealed carry in the last two decades and none have had a significant or sustained uptick in criminal firearm use by civilians. If it were the case, you bet there would be news reports citing the spike in crime in numerous states that correlated with the adoption of shall issue. Moreover, in this instance, normally pro-2A Republicans would also likely support restrictions in carry rights - as many are also supportive of law and order.

Instead we get the selective analysis of a restricted time window of data in a state like Missouri sometimes, but nothing that hints at a causal effect to draw a conclusion of increased risk. As you mention, crimes committed by licensed concealed carriers involving firearms are rare. So if antis don't have the facts on their side, they will focus on the exceptions where a concealed carrier is involved in a shooting in which the carrier broke the law or if lawful, can be depicted as a vigilante ... and because the exceptions are rare events by nature ... they capture more news attention.

I think it just comes down to a hatred or fear of guns by some because they can't make a logical argument to restrict carry rights. They might make a historical argument that the right was always restricted, but their underlying premise is that guns are bad/evil/dangerous when permitted civilians carry them in public in the modern era despite never having proven it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    To be clear, what PA stopped recognizing are NON RESIDENT PERMITS. in addition to dropping VA entirely.

Resident permits of reciprocal states are still recognized by PA.

PA stopped recognition of any VA permit because VA does not do a NICS check on VA resident permits. VA uses the VSP database to run background checks. The PA law allows the AG to stop recognition of states whose requirements are not "substantially similar" to PA. The AG seized that opportunity to drop reciprocity based on VA's use of their own database, rather than NICS.

WI recognizes only VA NR permits for this reason.

VA NR permits get a NICS check, residdent permits do not. Hence VA NR permits are recognized by WI, while resident permits are not. WI chose to recognize the difference and recognize VA NR permits.

The anti gun PA AG chose not to when he stopped recognition of ALL NR permits.

Sucks I know.

Kagetsu

Feb 4, 2009
    Is the Utah NR permit any good in any of the four states around Maryland? I'm not seeing much reason to renew.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom