Weapon Lights, smaller instead of brighter.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phx223

Member at Large
    Feb 15, 2010
    West of MD, East of CA
    It’s been a decade since I put a Surefire scout on my home defense rifle.

It’s a big and heavy light all the way out there at the end of my rifle, so when I saw that the new sig p365 has a tiny light that lights things up as well as a much larger light of yesteryear I decided to look and see if Surefire had done the same.

But they didn’t.

Lights are the same size, but now push out 7x the lumens and a bit longer battery life.

So I was wondering if any companies out there are making small and robust weapon lights of around 200 lumens.

I mean Surefire has a single AAA light that’s 1.5x as bright as my scout, so surely there’s a weaponlight that is shrunk down too somewhere.

Thanks.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011

Attachments

• F2C7B9DF-1AD4-49E2-96E9-47E5601494DC.jpg
      F2C7B9DF-1AD4-49E2-96E9-47E5601494DC.jpg
      47.4 KB · Views: 300

phx223

Member at Large
    Feb 15, 2010
    West of MD, East of CA
    I guess I should clarify.

I was very impressed with how small the sig branded weapon light for the 365 is and wonders if there’s been any rifle or carbine mounted option that has also shrunk down.

Like the sure fire titan plus, but mountable.

Then again it looks like it’s simply a 2 oz savings so there might not be a market for such a thing.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    It’s been a decade since I put a Surefire scout on my home defense rifle.

It’s a big and heavy light all the way out there at the end of my rifle, so when I saw that the new sig p365 has a tiny light that lights things up as well as a much larger light of yesteryear I decided to look and see if Surefire had done the same.

But they didn’t.

Lights are the same size, but now push out 7x the lumens and a bit longer battery life.

So I was wondering if any companies out there are making small and robust weapon lights of around 200 lumens.

I mean Surefire has a single AAA light that’s 1.5x as bright as my scout, so surely there’s a weaponlight that is shrunk down too somewhere.

Thanks.

I use a stream light Protac 1L. Needed to use some horse tape to get it to fit in 1” rings. A couple companies make .83” rings to get it to fit. With battery and tape it tips the scales at 2.5oz. Puts out 350lm. Plenty of light. Nice and light tail cap switch. It’s in there nice and secure. I’ve whacked it hard intentionally and won’t slip out of the rings.

And yeah, I don’t need 1000+lm. If I am using a light it’s almost certainly in my house and I don’t need to blind myself. If I need to use it outside I am still likely not using it past 30-40yds. I’ve played with it in my used some and it’s plenty bright enough to see what I am
    Shooting at to 100 odd yards and to identify who it is at 50 okay. I really doubt I am getting in to such a fire fight outside.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I wish Olight would make something like their mini, but geared towards a rifle with a tail cap switch and maybe the ability to use a remote switch. I love it on my Glock 17, but not easy to setup on a rifle.

PS one reason a tail cap works fine is I use a 12” handguard on my carbine. If I used a 15” then it would probably be awkwardly far out there with the light being so short.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    If the OP wants light weight and small, I think the best option is the Arisaka 300 light:

https://arisakadefense.com/collections/lights/products/300-series-light

I have one on my 10.5" SBR with the Arisaka momentary only tailcap and it is great.

Alternatively, the Haley strategic specced Inforce WMLs are pretty good. They have a new 400 lumen version that is pretty good.

https://haleystrategic.com/shop/hard-goods/illumination-tools/hsp-wml-inforce-black

I would stay away from any streamlight models that rely upon their pressure pads, as they break easily. Personally I like high output lights with a lot of throw. With minimal adjustments, they work just as well as the spill/flood types for clearing houses, but are also great for things that the other type can't do. But we all have our own opinions, and the glorious free market provides tons of options for us to choose from.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I guess I should clarify.

I was very impressed with how small the sig branded weapon light for the 365 is and wonders if there’s been any rifle or carbine mounted option that has also shrunk down.

Like the sure fire titan plus, but mountable.

Then again it looks like it’s simply a 2 oz savings so there might not be a market for such a thing.

I’m sorry bud I’m an idiot i see what you were saying. My post wasn’t helpful lol but i got you a nice bump so i got that going for me.

WildWeasel

Mar 31, 2019
    MI>FL>MD
    I would stay away from any streamlight models that rely upon their pressure pads, as they break easily. Personally I like high output lights with a lot of throw. With minimal adjustments, they work just as well as the spill/flood types for clearing houses, but are also great for things that the other type can't do. But we all have our own opinions, and the glorious free market provides tons of options for us to choose from.

I just use the TLR1 with the paddle switch on my rifle. That said, I have been looking at adding a pressure switch or opting for something that has one. What breaks on them?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I wish Olight would make something like their mini, but geared towards a rifle with a tail cap switch and maybe the ability to use a remote switch. I love it on my Glock 17, but not easy to setup on a rifle.

PS one reason a tail cap works fine is I use a 12” handguard on my carbine. If I used a 15” then it would probably be awkwardly far out there with the light being so short.

Contact Olight and suggest this.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I just use the TLR1 with the paddle switch on my rifle. That said, I have been looking at adding a pressure switch or opting for something that has one. What breaks on them?
    The tailcaps that accept pressure switches have a known issue where they can rotate under recoil with pressure switches attached, and apparently can develop dead spots in the battery connection as a result. Bear in mind I am reporting information I have gathered from my own research + what I've been told by experienced instructors. Please treat it as a starting point for your own research. As far as the streamlight brand goes, I think the TLR1 is a great light (the TLR1 hl is the only streamlight light I have bought, so I can at least speak from experience there haha), and am unsure if it is affected by the issue that the protac and possibly hlx series is supposed to have. Supposedly Cloud Defensive has a $180 package with the hlx that is pretty good. If they sell it then it probably doesn't have that rotation issue.

As far as lights with pressure switches go . . . Get ready to get nickel and dimed into spending $300+ for anything not streamlight. And then deal with cable management and some other annoying stuff. It is a sad day when the sale price of $300 for the Cloud Defensive OWL is probably the best deal you can get. Hoping their new Rein light is less expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    sstrum

Latest threads

Top Bottom