• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    UPDATE: I JUST ORDER THE UPPER
    I just pictured them selling out fast, so...

JoeBob has a great price on Radical Firearms uppers. I have a per-ban lower I'd like to mate and wonder if there is any feedback on the quality.

Not sure I can believe the ad copy,
    "This fully mil-spec compliant receiver provides a high-quality upper for any level budget or shooter."

I'm looking for a decent upper for plinking. Probably enter a few short-range 3-gun comps with it. At 66 I don't see me needing something that I'll use 20-30 times having to be top-of-the line. Just enough to get me though with my mediocre skill set without the gun being worse than me.

link - http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Rad...268715841&mc_cid=eaa4c8cf89&mc_eid=0217164c3f

TIA:thumbsup:

Last edited:

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    I have one upper in 300BLK and another in 5.56. Both are straight shooters with no problems after several hundred rounds each. I initially had a problem with the bolt I bought from Radical but they paid for return shipping and replaced it with no dickering.

I've been more than satisfied. But then again, I'm a relative noob.

EDIT: That price is even better than what I paid. Very nice deal IMO.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    I have one upper in 300BLK and another in 5.56. Both are straight shooters with no problems after several hundred rounds each. I initially had a problem with the bolt I bought from Radical but they paid for return shipping and replaced it with no dickering.

I've been more than satisfied. But then again, I'm a relative noob.

EDIT: That price is even better than what I paid. Very nice deal IMO.

Thanks.

I saw all the high marks in the comments, but I tend to be cautious about things I read on the web. ->Present company, excluded :rolleyes:

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I just bought a 50 Beowulf upper from a MDS member and just built it into a pistol. I haven't shot it yet, but it looks like it's well made.

Good Luck!

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    I've had a .300blk upper for several years. I haven't had any issues, but then again, I don't run it hard or shoot it often.

For a good review, check out the AK47 Operators Union on YouTube (linked below). They just finished torture testing one. It did fail after something like 4300 rounds, but was easily fixed. I linked to the last video in the series, but there are several episodes leading up to this that you should watch. I'm going to buy a 10.5" upper in the next couple of months and will probably go with a Radical.

https://youtu.be/kfCUjjA2F4U

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    To be honest, I looked over the components of these uppers and I am happy. Their handguards/rails are nice too.

Gskwared

Supreme Being
    Feb 4, 2013
    Carroll County
    I have a radical firearms 7.62x39 upper that I use on a sbr I built. I put a casson engineering bolt in it and it runs like a champ. I have zero issues with it and for being a sbr it is very accurate with Wolf ammo. Radical makes solid stuff for the price.

Major03

Ultimate Member
    I have a 5.56 pistol upper that I haven't shot yet...waiting on building and painting the lower...but I took the upper apart to true the receiver face since I wasn't sure if they did that as part of their build process. They didn't, which is what I suspected, but the receiver barely needed any truing at all.

I'll let folks know how it shoots when I get a chance to take it out.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    I have a 5.56 pistol upper that I haven't shot yet...waiting on building and painting the lower...but I took the upper apart to true the receiver face since I wasn't sure if they did that as part of their build process. They didn't, which is what I suspected, but the receiver barely needed any truing at all.

I'll let folks know how it shoots when I get a chance to take it out.

So you did this?

So, what do you want besides a smile and a slap on the back to true my receiver face?

Major03

Ultimate Member
    Brownells makes a tool. I had DeamonAssasin from here help me with my first one. My buddy then bought a tool and we did our own uppers on our second builds.

I'd offer to do yours, but it isn't my tool and they have a lifespan of only a couple of uppers before you either need a new one or take it to a machinist.

The good news is it's only about 30 for the tool and Brownells has videos on how to do it. It's pretty straight forward and an easy job if you don't try and take too much off at one time. If you have a cordless drill you'll be fine

Major03

Ultimate Member
    Take enough off so that the receiver is bare aluminum all the way around... You want to use a fair amount of pressure, but not for too long. Better to take it off early, clean and inspect, and take another pass or two or three than go for too long on one pass. Clean the lapping tool with each pass and use fresh lapping compound and oil on the extension that goes into the receiver. Mobil synthetic one is a good option to lube the extension of the tool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom