• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    I pulled a couple of 223 cartridges with deformed casings and I decapped (very slowly) the primers out of them to safely scrap the brass.

Can these primers still be re-used safely for plinking loads or should i just bin them? Most of them come from crimped primer pockets where they would fit loosely along a swaged casing (loose as in, it retains the primer, but can be pushed out by hand along a decapping die), maybe a dab of a little super glue could work?

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    1) I would scrap them. If you need brass, PM me.

2) Never load ammo with primers that are loose, especially ammo intended for semi-autos. If the primer becomes unseated during cycling, it can ignite when the bolt face hits it, possibly initiating the powder charge.

This happened to a student in my presence and luckily no one was hurt, but the upper was destroyed, as was the magazine. The bolt was no where near locked up and all that pressure was dumped into the partially open action. Makes a good case for shooting glasses, and an even better case for not using cases with loose primer pockets or ammo with otherwise loose primers.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I've bet you've seen all kinds of crazy stuff in all your years! Suppressors flying down range and all lol

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    if you think one day you might need them for a SHTF situation then just go ahead and buy a 1000 box of primers instead.
    popping primers while shooting an AR15 for example can mess up your range day.

dab of super glue on primers reminds me of the dentist who was not really a dentist using super glue to fix a fractured tooth. :)

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    I'm a bit of a tight wad, but the cost of a few primers wouldn't get me to reuse them. One bad thing caused by one of those primers would cost far more than buying 1000 primers.

There are lots of good reasons why we only shoot our own reloads.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Even in today's market, a primer is less than a nickle.

TOSS THEM.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    My experience has been that primer systems on presses can be VERY finicky about primers that are even very slightly malformed, and dealing with jams may not be worth your time, especially for like a dime of primers. YMMV, etc.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    I agree on all accounts.
    Toss "found" or loose primers and NEVER try to de-cap a live primer from brass.
    Just not worth it.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Every so often I'll get a pistol case (e.g. 9mm & 45) that cracks when it's being expanded. What I've done is set it aside and continue. When I'm done with the batch, I put on eyes and ears and decap it. I've not had an issue (yet) with rounds that I've reseated such primers into a new case. They sure don't seem loose to me when going in. I've probably done this a couple dozen times. Am I walking on dangerous ground, or is this just an issue with decapped primers from crimped primer pockets?

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    Thanks for the responses guys. I decided not to re-use them. Would submerging primed shells/decapped live primers in water for a while deactivate them? Perhaps even wet tumble the cases that are primed then decap? I obviously don't want to bin live primers and some of the casings are salvageable.

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    Every so often I'll get a pistol case (e.g. 9mm & 45) that cracks when it's being expanded. What I've done is set it aside and continue. When I'm done with the batch, I put on eyes and ears and decap it. I've not had an issue (yet) with rounds that I've reseated such primers into a new case. They sure don't seem loose to me when going in. I've probably done this a couple dozen times. Am I walking on dangerous ground, or is this just an issue with decapped primers from crimped primer pockets?

I run into the same situation and I honestly have not ran in to any issues doing this for uncrimped pistol cases and I never felt reluctant to do so. The decapped live primers seats well into fresh casings and fires fine without any signs of the primers coming out. This is an unpopular opinion though, so do at your own discretion.

I have decided this is an issue for crimped cases, as decapping those will undersize the primer cup substantially where they will fit loosely along a swaged/uncrimped casing...it's just not worth the risk.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    ...Am I walking on dangerous ground, or is this just an issue with decapped primers from crimped primer pockets?
    *IF* they're a good, tight fit, no, no worries.

The actual issue is fit. Whether the primer has been seated and then unseated is not as important to safety as whether it is a tight fit and will stay put.

Regarding primer integrity, primers are designed to be 'sensitized' by the last few thousandths of seating depth, which compresses the anvil against the pellet. Sometimes the compressed pellet can be damaged by subsequent handling (like decapping) and re-seating such a primer can result in a misfire or velocity deviations if the pellet fractures.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The other issue is, when you decap, you push the primer out with pressure on the anvil.

This could crack or damage the primer pellet or squeeze it and put it under pressure.

The first could cause erratic detonation or the primer not igniting the powder.

The second could cause the primer to be overly sensitive.

Just not worth it.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    Would submerging primed shells/decapped live primers in water for a while deactivate them?

Not water...
    Go for oil. Used motor oil is popular because you are not ruining it... but any petroleum-based oil should do. Give them a good soak then discard.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Thanks for the responses guys. I decided not to re-use them. Would submerging primed shells/decapped live primers in water for a while deactivate them? Perhaps even wet tumble the cases that are primed then decap? I obviously don't want to bin live primers and some of the casings are salvageable.

DO NOT REUSE PRIMERS! PERIOD!

If you're worried about primer pops in the garbage truck or at the dump, find a small patch of earth, dig a hole and bury them. Natural ambient moisture and obscurity will do the work over time and trust me, the Bay will not collapse because if it. DONE! :clap:

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    The other issue is, when you decap, you push the primer out with pressure on the anvil.

This could crack or damage the primer pellet or squeeze it and put it under pressure.

The first could cause erratic detonation or the primer not igniting the powder.

The second could cause the primer to be overly sensitive.

Just not worth it.
    Hello...hello...hello...;)

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    Not water...
    Go for oil. Used motor oil is popular because you are not ruining it... but any petroleum-based oil should do. Give them a good soak then discard.

Interesting, would vegetable oil work? I got a bunch of old deep fryer oil lying around. If not, i can easily source a quart of used motor oil to dump the live primers in.

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    DO NOT REUSE PRIMERS! PERIOD!

If you're worried about primer pops in the garbage truck or at the dump, find a small patch of earth, dig a hole and bury them. Natural ambient moisture and obscurity will do the work over time and trust me, the Bay will not collapse because if it. DONE! :clap:

Not sure if HOA would approve putting live primers in the ground haha. I'll submerge them in oil instead and bin them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom