• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Todd S

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2012
    Glen Rock, PA
    Question for all of you machinists out there. I have a dial dial indicator for a runout gauge. In the picture, the needle is on 0. If the needle deflects to the 5, is that .005”, .050”?
    8c49fd798119ec7101bcaf25e9c05095.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H-Bar

4th MD Regiment Militia
    Jun 29, 2017
    Todd. Each line is .0005 so at the 5 it would be 10 lines = .0050

H-Bar

4th MD Regiment Militia
    Jun 29, 2017
    Total measurement on that type of dial from zero to zero would be .030"

Todd S

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2012
    Glen Rock, PA
    Todd. Each line is .0005 so at the 5 it would be 10 lines = .0050

Thanks! That's the way I was reading it. I was getting less than .001in runout on my 6.5 neck, using a Redding body die and a Lee Collet Neck die. I think that's a pretty good combo.

Now seating is a whole other story. I have a Forster seating die coming, but my Hornady seating die is giving .004 to .006 runout on the bullet. It seems that the Hornady is inducing more runout from a pretty straight neck.

Major03

Ultimate Member
    Thanks! That's the way I was reading it. I was getting less than .001in runout on my 6.5 neck, using a Redding body die and a Lee Collet Neck die. I think that's a pretty good combo.

Now seating is a whole other story. I have a Forster seating die coming, but my Hornady seating die is giving .004 to .006 runout on the bullet. It seems that the Hornady is inducing more runout from a pretty straight neck.

What kind of brass are you using?

My best guess as to the mystery of why you'd have so little runout on the neck prior to seating, and then a pretty significant change after seating...

Unless you uniform your necks by neck turning or reaming (or both), when you seat your bullet, it's then being effected by the variance in the neck.

It's not uncommon for brass to be as much as .002 or more off in thickness, which can translate into .004 or more of runout.

You could have a Forster Co-Ax single stage press and the best dies money can buy...but if you're brass isn't uniform you're just chasing your tail.

Seabee

Old Timer
    Oct 9, 2011
    Left marylandistan to NC
    I use the same method of sizing but only bump the shoulder .001"
    Had the same problem with bullet runout on my Redding seater so I went with a Wilson hand seater and arbor press and runout now runs .001 with an occasional .0015. Never tried the Forster seater but heard good things about them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom