• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    As I stated, it was a layman's explanation of the law for those that don't have the formal legal education or LEO training/experience dealing with such crimes on a regular basis in Maryland.

Personally, if someone breaks into my home -- and I'm home -- they will either comply to be detained, or will face the consequences if they attempt to use force.

I am certain there are prosecutors in MD that would claim this to be an act of aggression itself. Only acts of de-escalation are acts of de-escalation.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    That is mostly true. However, the court will evaluate the overall incident from a reasonable person's perspective. They will determine if you (the victim) "created the situation" in which deadly force was used (ie: entering the home to confront the burglar).

Again, burglary is a property crime. It only changes legal dynamics if the criminal makes the choice to use (or threaten to use) force ie: burglary vs. home invasion robbery, or if you are home when it occurs and you come in contact with the criminal.
    Look, if I walk in and the burglar is a threat, it will be dealt with appropriately. It does not matter why the person is in there. A threat is a threat, however one determines their life was in danger
    Like I said, if you know there's someone and you still go in, then you created the deadly force situation, and that's not good.

Lev928

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2015
    WESTERN MARYLAND HILLS
    If they have their hand on the door knob and are trying to exit the home.....what happens?

If that is the case, and they are not attempting to attack you, then you cannot use deadly force. Basically, when they have left and it's safe to do so, remember the best description possible and call 911.

In Maryland, the use of deadly force during a PROPERTY crime is not recognized by the court as justifiable according to case history and law.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    That's when it gets murky.

Are they going to just runaway?
    Are they muttering "I will kill you when I get back!"?
    Are they turning to confront you?

The burglar deescalated the situation, is no longer a threat, and has expressed a desire to leave.

Does the home owner attack the burglar in order to detain them?

Is that kidnapping? Assault?

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    If that is the case, and they are not attempting to attack you, then you cannot use deadly force. Basically, when they have left and it's safe to do so, remember the best description possible and call 911.

In Maryland, the use of deadly force during a PROPERTY crime is not recognized by the court as justifiable according to case history and law.

That is the correct answer.

Lev928

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2015
    WESTERN MARYLAND HILLS
    I am certain there are prosecutors in MD that would claim this to be an act of aggression itself. Only acts of de-escalation are acts of de-escalation.

Probably correct. However, what I meant in my statement is that if they comply to be detained, great. I'll handcuff them, call 911 and wait. But, if they decide to (or attempt to) use force, I will meet that force.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    The burglar deescalated the situation, is no longer a threat, and has expressed a desire to leave.

The homeowner would become the assailant.

You have civil arrest powers, and can demand compliance. Notice I did not use "force"?

If the burglar is stupid enough to stick around, that's on him.

Lev928

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2015
    WESTERN MARYLAND HILLS

Correct. At a minimum the victim would then be turned into the aggressor and would most likely be charged with either 1st Degree Assault (if the burglar lived), or a variant of Homicide if the burglar was killed.

Maryland law and case history sucks.

Lev928

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2015
    WESTERN MARYLAND HILLS
    Look, if I walk in and the burglar is a threat, it will be dealt with appropriately. It does not matter why the person is in there. A threat is a threat, however one determines their life was in danger
    Like I said, if you know there's someone and you still go in, then you created the deadly force situation, and that's not good.

I don't disagree at all regarding a threat. However, this is when the threat must be articulated.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    The homeowner would become the assailant.

You have civil arrest powers, and can demand compliance. Notice I did not use "force"?

If the burglar is stupid enough to stick around, that's on him.

All of these correct and reasonable answers today.

What in the hell is going on roun here?

The Left has us made out to be blood thirsty, gun wielding, maniacs who want to shoot, kill, and maim anything that moves.

Lev928

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2015
    WESTERN MARYLAND HILLS
    All of these correct and reasonable answers today.

What in the hell is going on roun here?

The Left has us made out to be blood thirsty, gun wielding, maniacs who want to shoot, kill, and maim anything that moves.

Yep.

Unfortunately, Maryland political ideology (our politicians and the left) and state laws do not afford the law-abiding citizen much protection. It's sad and sickening.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    Now that home invasion is classified as a violent crime in Maryland, how does that affect the use of lethal force in such an event? And does it matter if the perpetrator has a weapon or not? Also, if I am not allowed to carry in Maryland without G&S, but come home to an active home invasion, being that it is a violent crime, what recourse do I have to protect myself in my home as defined in Crawford v. State, 231 Md. 354 (1963). Logically, I would have to already have my gun on me, right? I guess my right to protect myself and my family in my home starts when I get home, lock the door behind me, and remove my gun from the safe?

Generally speaking, you're legally able to defend yourself with lethal force if you're facing an immediate, otherwise unavoidable threat of death or grievous bodily injury and you or those in your charge are innocent (i.e., you did nothing to instigate the threat). Further, if the threat enters your home whilst you're there, the threat may not need to be "unavoidable" (i.e., you have no requirement to attempt to escape from your own home).

That said, if the home invasion takes place within a nanny state (e.g., Maryland), you'd best be a fully paid-up CCWSafe (or similar) member with all the add-ons, have a lengthy paper trail demonstrating you've got all of the requisite licensing/training that any "reasonable" mommy (or her genetically male counterpart) could possibly think of and haven't modified your defensive tool with anything that could be construed (by an ignorant fool or [useful] idiot) as demonstrating planning and/or malicious intent. Keep your fingers crossed, have super-human patience and you may be alright....in the end.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

Even in a Stand Your Ground State, that would be a bad thing.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    This is a good thing. Attacking these.
    936dc115f2042a422d7c18987278843c.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members