• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    The bucks have been coming around a bit on the trail cam in my yard. Lots of pics of some 4 points and 6 points. Then, this guy started showing up.

Attachments

• buck .jpg
      buck .jpg
      47.1 KB · Views: 353

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    I had a bag of the trace mineral salt in granulated form, dad bought it by accident when I asked him to get me a bag of salt for my taxidermy and tanning. I looked at the list of ingredients and said "hmm I bet deer would like this". Yes, they sure do! I put a small amount down and they keep stepping all over the lick area, and pawing at it. A shame I cannot put a camera out, the thieves even steal ones with cable locks on them, taking care to somehow remove the cable lock, and even taking it with them. For a camera worth maybe 30.00 used...

namrelio

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2013
    Frederick Co. Virginia
    I had some bags of loose salt given to me one year. I cut a pants leg out of an old pair of jeans, filled it with salt, wired each end shut and hung it in a tree. Lasted longer than when I spread it on the ground. The rain washes it to the ground. Hang it low enough so the deer can lick it.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Do they taste better? :lol2:

Easily a 135"-140"

Do you see the word PIE in there? Of course they do....:D

Seriously, I'd love to do a life like full mount on a beautiful Piebald. Get that soft mount so I could pose it differently every day. It would never get old!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Seriously, I'd love to do a life like full mount on a beautiful Piebald. Get that soft mount so I could pose it differently every day. It would never get old!
    Lol

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013

My neighbor took a piebald buck a few years back. Real nice full mount.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    A-kerns are dropping! Might be time to move a cam into the old oak flat. See whats going on in there. If your deer stop showing up at the usual spot(like where your camera is now...), might be the deer have moved on to their favorite food source, acorns.

EDIT: While you're at it, take a couple acorns and stuff them in your bow case. They make a great cover scent for your bow. Do not put any in your hunting clothes container if you use scent killing clothing.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    Is it a good idea to put them out where they don't drop. Like your feeder? I had my son picking them up out of my yard, I have a ton! Thought I could put them there.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Is it a good idea to put them out where they don't drop. Like your feeder? I had my son picking them up out of my yard, I have a ton! Thought I could put them there.

It's an excellent idea. I toss them around my feeder. It gets the deer real fired up later in the year after all the acorns are long gone. My boss gives me 5 gallon buckets full from his yard in Chevy Chase. Spread them out real wide so they keep coming back to look for more.

elind

Dec 22, 2013
    Fort Meade
    On my hit list, now I just have to get him during legal shooting hours.

Attachments

• IMG_0355.jpg
      IMG_0355.jpg
      69.5 KB · Views: 196

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    That looks to be a very big stag.

Good Luck!

PS does Sika deer takes any different than white tail deer?

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    No comparison between WT and sika. Sika is way better in my book, the tallow is more like fat and there is no silver-skin hardly to game the meat. More fat in the hide though and way more resilient to harvest because of it. Someone would be lucky to get this one, they rarely come any better. I would not pass this one up for sure. Its an up county deer, more body mass/rack from better forage/conditions. Makes me want to go more often,probably never see it during daylight though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom