• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • briwayjones

I didn't like any of the free firearm catalog programs I could find on here or elsewhere. Either that or they were old and just didn't work. I don't have much programming experience but was looking for an excuse to improve my skills so I decided to give making my own catalog program a shot. I thought others might find it useful too.

This is by no means a mature program and there is a lot of room for improvement. I intend to keep improving it and adding features.

Features:
    - Add information about your firearms with pictures into records that have more information options than other programs I have seen

Future Features:
    - Ammo cataloging
    - Shooting cataloging
    - Reloading cataloging
    - Built in backup/restore
    - Print reports
    - Information protection/encryption
    - Improved more flexible installer

I possibly in the future would like to make it a general catalog program for movies, music, jewelry and other stuff in general.

The install will check to see if you have the required .NET and database components and install them if you don't. The record numbering is a little wonky, partially on purpose and partially because it's just wonky at the moment. Let me know of any bugs you find. There are always pesky bugs. There are basic instructions if you click the Help button in the "Main" tab. It should be pretty self-explanatory though.

LifeLog v1.1.zip

Last edited:

wesser1

Dec 19, 2012
    Havre de Grace
    I've been considering creating a website that does something like this but haven't found the time. Also not sure if this kind of thing would be used. While I enjoy learning new things (you always do when programming), I don't want to spend a ton of time on something that won't be utilized.

Robert

Having Fun Yet?
    May 11, 2011
    AA County, MD
    I've been considering creating a website that does something like this but haven't found the time. Also not sure if this kind of thing would be used. While I enjoy learning new things (you always do when programming), I don't want to spend a ton of time on something that won't be utilized.

I personally would not use any web based system.. but then again I'm not very trusting of the cloud...

gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County
    I personally would not use any web based system.. but then again I'm not very trusting of the cloud...

But if he makes a binary or the source available, you could put it on a spare computer in your dwelling.

OP: I'd try it out, but no .NET and no desire to boot a Windows partition to try it out :D Good on your for getting something going.

Robert

Having Fun Yet?
    May 11, 2011
    AA County, MD
    Friendly Suggestions:

1) Ditch the save save buttons (for firearm and picture)(Save on after-update or on-current for firearms and after the user selects the picture)
    2) Use Drop-down boxes for Type,Make,Caliber,Acquired,Condition,Location stored. Each with user defind entries.(pre-populated data is a BIG bonus)
    3) Automatically formatted Currency and date fields.
    4) Service Record tab.
    5) A quick entry function to allow for multiples of the same firearm details.

briwayjones

Friendly Suggestions:

1) Ditch the save save buttons (for firearm and picture)(Save on after-update or on-current for firearms and after the user selects the picture)
    2) Use Drop-down boxes for Type,Make,Caliber,Acquired,Condition,Location stored. Each with user defind entries.(pre-populated data is a BIG bonus)

I had actually limited the number of drop-downs since on stuff like type, make, caliber and others there are so many possibilities. Or the options can be subjective and vary from user to user as to want they want. On the couple of drop-downs there are you can enter your own options. But it didn't occur to me to put drop-downs on most of the categories and just let people enter there own options. Then that ends up working both ways. :facepalm:

3) Automatically formatted Currency and date fields.

The reason I didn't do that was so someone could enter a whole date or just a year. With the pre-configured formats you can't do both. So I was planning to revisit it later to see if I can get it to work both ways.

I didn't do that for the currency in case someone traded for a gun or something along those lines and wanted to enter something subjective instead of a dollar amount.

4) Service Record tab.

I'm not following what you mean?

5) A quick entry function to allow for multiples of the same firearm details.

That's a good idea. A copy existing entry option or something along those lines.

briwayjones

OP: I'd try it out, but no .NET and no desire to boot a Windows partition to try it out :D Good on your for getting something going.

You don't want to install .NET on your regular Windows install? Or are you just saying you don't have .NET? The install will download the .NET components that you need to run it. I would have rather made it without it requiring .NET but M$ is pretty much forcing it on people. It's going to get harder and harder to run programs if you don't have .NET.

Oh just read what you said again. Are you saying you're running one of those fruity machines? :D :innocent0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom