• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    And I just have to remind people, super clean and shiny brass does not shoot any better that not so clean and shiny brass.

You only need to get the dirt and grit off to protect your dies. After that, it is all eye candy.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    And I just have to remind people, super clean and shiny brass does not shoot any better that not so clean and shiny brass.

You only need to get the dirt and grit off to protect your dies. After that, it is all eye candy.

Yup. My brass gets an our in my tumbler whether it needs it or not.

But honestly if you do a good job catching brass, rather than letting it roll around on the ground, you could realistically reload it without tumbling it in many cases.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Except it only takes on piece of grit to either scratch your sizing die or stick the case in the die.

I would rather to a 5 - 10 minute run in the vibratory tumbler,

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    I use a the Hornady Sonic Cleaner 2L model, 30 minutes gets the brass acceptably clean, not shiny, just dull. I throw the brass in my toaster oven at low heat for a bit after that so I'm ready to load within an hour and some change.

I use the Hornady One Shot Brass cleaner, however you can get your brass to be shiny if you mess around with some of the formulas that people post on the internet.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Are you finding the 2L model to be big enough for you? What size brass are you cleaning and how many pieces can you fit? Is there enough room for your BCG in there? I'm not worried about shiny, I'm worried about clean.

I'm leaning towards the Vevor cleaner, either the 3L or the 6L. 3L is obviously cheaper, but still marketed as "commercial", but it doesn't have a drain port. The 6L has a drain for easy cleanup. Both are stainless steel inside and out.

Seabee

Old Timer
    Oct 9, 2011
    Left marylandistan to NC
    I've been using a vibratory tumbler to clean brass and I just don't like it. The media gathers in the brass and I have to hand dump it before I can transfer to the shell holders, I never get it all and end up spilling at least some every time. Its a pain in the neck, but it's the cost of doing business. Today the wife yelled at me because apparently I made a bigger mess than normal and told me to find a better solution.

I've been researching US cleaners for some time, trying to figure if it'll work for me. The benefit of US over a tumbler and stainless pins is that the US cleaner can also clean my BCG, eventual suppressor and other stuff around the house. I know that a tumbler and pins will get the brass shinier, but all my research indicates that the ultrasonic cleaner is still better than vibratory.

So, I'm looking for advice about whether or not you recommend an ultrasonic cleaner for brass.

Then, assuming I do want an ultrasonic cleaner... Is the Harbor Freight sufficient? I don't shoot a ton and don't need to clean thousands of pieces of brass at a time, but I'm not opposed to a larger and better cleaner. I've been looking at the Vevor cleaners as well. They are marketed as commercial US cleaners, either the 3L or the 6L size. They have better heaters and longer timers than the Harbor Freight models, as well as stainless steel construction.

Any input would be appreciated, thanks all!

Ive done vibratory, tumble, wet tumble with pins, ultrasonic.
    I have the harbor freight and it does ok. I also have an industrial and the only difference is size and an extra transducer and the time involved. Use the wet tumble with stainless pins as already stated. They will get clean inside and out. Use dawn and a pinch of lemishine and they are like new. Ise a media separator for removing pins and water. You can also stay with the vibratory and use a media separator to get the media out of the case but check the primer flash holes.

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    Are you finding the 2L model to be big enough for you? What size brass are you cleaning and how many pieces can you fit? Is there enough room for your BCG in there? I'm not worried about shiny, I'm worried about clean.

I'm leaning towards the Vevor cleaner, either the 3L or the 6L. 3L is obviously cheaper, but still marketed as "commercial", but it doesn't have a drain port. The 6L has a drain for easy cleanup. Both are stainless steel inside and out.

It'll fit a BCG diagonally. The product page says it'll take 300 5.56 cases. I've never put that much in because I don't shoot enough, I've probably had 100 max or so and there's still plenty of room.

My stainless pins are exactly 6.5mm long. As an owner of a Grendel, Creedmoor and Swede, it is a royal PITA getting the pins out of the case mouth. I don't wet tumble anything that is 6.5mm anymore.
    For dry, vibratory units try dry alphabet soup pasta or dry rice (not minute rice) They put off very little dust and work as well as walnut shell.

LittleBill

Mar 14, 2020
    About 4 years ago I bought a ultrasonic from Harbor Freight and have used the thing to clean a ton of brass and I like it. Use warm distilled water, Lemishine and vinegar/lemon dish soap and the inside, primer pockets and the outside will shine better than a new one. I still tumble afterwards if I want show quality brass, and I get it. My 5.56 loads I like the mil look with the annealing colorations.

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    Harbor Freight and INEXPENSIVE Solution

I gave up the tumbler that I've used for 45 plus years and have been using a Harbor Freight ultra sonic cleaner and an inexpensive solution. I paid a guy on eBay a couple $ for the recipe, its basically dish soap and CITRIC ACID. Citric acid is a basic food additive and mild that also has great cleaning qualities. It's available online, Walmart and Amazon. Its used in everything from soda, snow ball flavorings, candy to pesticides. It removes hard water residue and build up in dishwashers, ice makers and soap residue like magic. Its not harsh, similar to lemon juice, not.
    You only use a table spoon to a gallon of water. Brass including primer pockets come out sparkling clean. You can also use the solution without an ultra sonic

Email me direct for the recipe. paw.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    My generator carburetor is all fouled up and needs to be cleaned. I'll take that as a sign that an ultrasonic cleaner is the solution for me. Just ordered a Vevor 6L model with a drain plug. I've read about straight citric acid and distilled water for cleaning brass. Like I said, I don't need a mirror finish, I just need it clean enough(without lead filled dust) that it won't damage my dies. I appreciate all the advice, I feel that US cleaning will get me what I need without as much hassle. That's quite important with 3 young kids and limited time to reload.

JB01

Nov 11, 2017
    I use a Frankford Arsenal wet tumbler with stainless steel pins, dish detergent and Lemi Shine in tap water to clean brass. The brass and pins are separated using a Frankford Arsenal rotary media separator and a magnet. After rinsing, I dry the brass and pins in a cast off food drier. The only downside I note is pins get caught in cases.
    JB

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I gave up the tumbler that I've used for 45 plus years and have been using a Harbor Freight ultra sonic cleaner and an inexpensive solution. I paid a guy on eBay a couple $ for the recipe, its basically dish soap and CITRIC ACID. Citric acid is a basic food additive and mild that also has great cleaning qualities. It's available online, Walmart and Amazon. Its used in everything from soda, snow ball flavorings, candy to pesticides. It removes hard water residue and build up in dishwashers, ice makers and soap residue like magic. Its not harsh, similar to lemon juice, not.
    You only use a table spoon to a gallon of water. Brass including primer pockets come out sparkling clean. You can also use the solution without an ultra sonic

Email me direct for the recipe. paw.

Lemi Shine is citric acid. It's probably cheaper to buy the citric acid.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Lemi Shine is citric acid. It's probably cheaper to buy the citric acid.
    ^^^This
    You can buy an 8lb bucket of food grade citric acid for around $30-$35. That's almost a lifetime supply for most reloaders.

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    I thought about starting a new thread, but it's relevant here. I always used Imperial (Redding) case sizing wax (https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/1012768051) and it lasted for almost 6 years. I picked up a tub of Hornady Unique lube (https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012758025) in stock at Cabelas Delaware to prepare for the end of the Imperial can and have been using it very successfully for the past year. Fast forward, I only wet tumble/ultrasonic rarely and I recently ran 3 batches, and every batch was disgusting (dirty film coating). Well I look closer at the Unique case lube, and read that it's waterproof!!! WTF..

So PSA, while the Hornady Unique lube works great and cleans off completely in corn or walnut, it's a PITA for wet cleaners.. Live and learn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom