Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Rifles

Notices


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 25th, 2018, 10:05 PM #1
Qbeam's Avatar
Qbeam Qbeam is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,304
Qbeam Qbeam is offline
Senior Member
Qbeam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,304
Midwest Industries Free Float M-lok Handguard Question

All,


Does anyone know what the green adhesive is that you put on the barrelnut? MI says it voids warranty if used anywhere else? Is it removable if you need to remove the handguard? Getting ready to put it on, and a little curious about the instructions.



Q
Qbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2018, 10:36 PM #2
engineerbrian's Avatar
engineerbrian engineerbrian is offline
JMB fan club
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Fredneck
Posts: 7,539
engineerbrian engineerbrian is offline
JMB fan club
engineerbrian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Fredneck
Posts: 7,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qbeam View Post
All,


Does anyone know what the green adhesive is that you put on the barrelnut? MI says it voids warranty if used anywhere else? Is it removable if you need to remove the handguard? Getting ready to put it on, and a little curious about the instructions.



Q
It comes with the rail from MI, why would it void the warranty?

I found a great install video on YouTube where the guy exsplains it in detail. I'll try to find it and post a link.
engineerbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2018, 10:36 PM #3
lonewolf220 lonewolf220 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Hampstead
Posts: 44
lonewolf220 lonewolf220 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Hampstead
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qbeam View Post
All,


Does anyone know what the green adhesive is that you put on the barrelnut? MI says it voids warranty if used anywhere else? Is it removable if you need to remove the handguard? Getting ready to put it on, and a little curious about the instructions.



Q
Itís like a thread locker. Glues the hand guard to the barrel nut. I guess to keep the hand guard from shifting once installed. Most likely this stuff https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...prod25517.aspx

I used it on one of my builds and I regretted it. Was a real pain to remove the hand guard once it was glued down. Subsequent builds where I used their handguard I just skipped the adhesive.
lonewolf220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2018, 10:39 PM #4
engineerbrian's Avatar
engineerbrian engineerbrian is offline
JMB fan club
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Fredneck
Posts: 7,539
engineerbrian engineerbrian is offline
JMB fan club
engineerbrian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Fredneck
Posts: 7,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf220 View Post
Itís like a thread locker. Glues the hand guard to the barrel nut. I guess to keep the hand guard from shifting once installed. Most likely this stuff https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...prod25517.aspx

I used it on one of my builds and I regretted it. Was a real pain to remove the hand guard once it was glued down. Subsequent builds where I used their handguard I just skipped the adhesive.
Any issues with slippage when you didnt use it?
engineerbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2018, 10:52 PM #5
lonewolf220 lonewolf220 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Hampstead
Posts: 44
lonewolf220 lonewolf220 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Hampstead
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineerbrian View Post
Any issues with slippage when you didnt use it?
Not that I could tell. If I was using the gun for competition I might use the adhesive. Just on the off chance that it could slip if it got caught on something. But for a range toy it seems like overkill considering you still torque it down at the torque plate.
lonewolf220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2018, 10:55 PM #6
engineerbrian's Avatar
engineerbrian engineerbrian is offline
JMB fan club
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Fredneck
Posts: 7,539
engineerbrian engineerbrian is offline
JMB fan club
engineerbrian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Fredneck
Posts: 7,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf220 View Post
Not that I could tell. If I was using the gun for competition I might use the adhesive. Just on the off chance that it could slip if it got caught on something. But for a range toy it seems like overkill considering you still torque it down at the torque plate.
Good to know, thanks. I have one i'm getting ready to install. Its going on a billet upper so i had to spend some time fitting the torque plate.
engineerbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2018, 07:27 AM #7
outrider58's Avatar
outrider58 outrider58 is offline
Doesn't Get Metaphors
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Anywhere Merryland
Posts: 22,989
outrider58 outrider58 is offline
Doesn't Get Metaphors
outrider58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Anywhere Merryland
Posts: 22,989
I've used Locktite 602 on them in the past. It does keep them from loosening.
__________________
"
...I didn't shoot him that hard." Dirty Harry

"We keep you alive to serve this ship...row well and live" Quintus Arius

"Mad, bad, and dangerous to know..." Lady Caroline Lamb
outrider58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Rifles


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2018, Congregate Media, LP Privacy Policy Terms of Service