• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TAliyev

Thinker
    Feb 23, 2009
    Owings Mills, MD
    Hello fellow members!

I am looking for a gun for my daughter. I own a bunch of handguns, but all of them are man's , full size, guns (smallest one is Makarov). I am having a hard time figuring out what would be the best gun for my girl. The ideal gun would be: reliable, effective ,compact (easy for woman to carry everyday without constantly struggling with the gun's size and weight), safe - no accidental firings...

My daughter handles full size guns just fine, but finding everyday carry gun for a stylish young woman, without compromising her looks, mobility and safety - is a tough task.

I was looking at various guns , but all of them had certain draw backs. In the extreme stress situation revolver is the most simple thing to use, but they tend to be relatively bulky... Small semi-autos are easier to conceal , but when they are small (like NAA Guardian), they come in less-effective calibers. Plus, it is hard to predict whether it decides to jam or not , especially after spending time in a purse... I've looked at Rohrbaugh: nice smallest 9mm gun but way too expensive... plus some say that it is picky on ammo.

My current list of candidates: Kahr MK9, S&W 640, Guardian 380.

I feel that I cannot make a decision without compromising something .... I am lost. I would greatly appreciate hearing opinions of the fellow members, especially most beautiful and gentle ones ..

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Kahr has a .45 that isn't too much bigger than the 9mm.

Ruger has a new cc revolver in .380 that's comparable to the S&W hammerless (I forget the model).

I presume your daughter is NOT in the People's Republic (or somehow scored a carry permit).

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    I'm not young, female or stylish, nor beautiful (but I'm kinda gentle, I think), however I will try to help. I believe keeping it in a purse is not a good idea. Purses can and do get lost, stolen or snatched away. A gun that's with you at all times is the best.

All choices are compromises, the trick is to make wise compromises.

And welcome again!

TAliyev

Thinker
    Feb 23, 2009
    Owings Mills, MD
    I forgot to mention Glock 26 in my list....

I agree that purse carrying is a trouble. Not that my daughter ever lost her purse, but those things periodically get left unattended and ,occasionally, invaded by others.... If gun is too bulky she may often have no choice but to carry it in her purse... which is what I am trying to avoid.. Size does matter! :) Ladies know this ;)

Last edited:

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    to avoid purse carry i'd recommend trying out a keltec p3at, pf9, and ruger lcp

but be warned, they kick a lot more than a full framed gun.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    take a look at the keltec p11 in 9mm.

Attachments

• keltec p11.jpg
      keltec p11.jpg
      27.7 KB · Views: 372

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I'm sorry and others will disagree with me, but I'd not willingly trust my life to a Kel-Tec. Just doesn't have the ultra high degree of reliablity that I'd require in a carry gun.

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    I'm sorry and others will disagree with me, but I'd not willingly trust my life to a Kel-Tec. Just doesn't have the ultra high degree of reliablity that I'd require in a carry gun.

don't know much about keltec long guns, but the handguns are very reliable and many many people carry them daily. Th eonly valid reason I've gotten from people who don't like them is that they feel like a toy because they are so light.

CLIFF566

OLD GUY
    Apr 30, 2008
    AA CO. MD
    I have a Kel-Tech P11 works ok, but the trigger pull is not suitable for a Lady, my Bride has a S&W Ml 60, that is all you would ever need, pull the trigger and the model 60 works every time.
    cliff

TAliyev

Thinker
    Feb 23, 2009
    Owings Mills, MD
    Great pictures! But gun appear to be a bit big for the required purpose (double stacked long mags with many bullets)... I guess it is about as big as Kahr K9/K40 or PPK...which are not really big :) Among all issues, gun controllability is also an important factor... All those variables and compromises make me feel that I cannot find optimal solution....

I think that with reliability we never know until we start shooting any particular gun. Some have higher failure rates others have lower one, but you never know what you got.... until you buy and try it...

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    CCW is always a compromise between concealability, control, and power

thats why there are so many because every finds a different comfort zone among that compromise.

drott

Apr 18, 2007
    Of the choices you mention, IMO I'd stick with the ultra-tested, tried and true Glock (as long as it felt good in her hands). Buy quality ammunition that is known to cycle well in it, and then have her run a few hundred rounds through the gun until she's proficient in shooting it and dealing with any jams that may occur. Also, cycling hundreds of rounds through it ahead of time will break the gun in and make it less likely to jam when/if the magic moment comes. Otherwise, I'd stick with a S&W pink snubnosed 38 with p+ hollow points. My $0.02 anyway.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Great pictures! But gun appear to be a bit big for the required purpose (double stacked long mags with many bullets)... I guess it is about as big as Kahr K9/K40 or PPK...which are not really big :) Among all issues, gun controllability is also an important factor... All those variables and compromises make me feel that I cannot find optimal solution....

I think that with reliability we never know until we start shooting any particular gun. Some have higher failure rates others have lower one, but you never know what you got.... until you buy and try it...

kel tec pf9 is skinnier...it's a single stack version of the p11

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom