• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    My offer still stands if you are imterested. Again...i dont charge, i just enjoy working on them. Just bring the rifle and parts.

I'd definitely be interested, just have to find the time, any idea how far you are from harford county roughly? I'm unfamiliar with indian head.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Question: If I buy an SGL21-61 instead of doing a 7.62 Saiga conversion myself, what would it take to remove the 24mm threads and do 14mm so I can replace the big 74 style brake with an akm slant brake? Or should I just live with the extra length/weight of the 74 brake?
    I've realized the SGL will run about the same as a self done saiga conv, plus it's done by a pro.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Question: If I buy an SGL21-61 instead of doing a 7.62 Saiga conversion myself, what would it take to remove the 24mm threads and do 14mm so I can replace the big 74 style brake with an akm slant brake? Or should I just live with the extra length/weight of the 74 brake?
    I've realized the SGL will run about the same as a self done saiga conv, plus it's done by a pro.

Its something I do. Not sure what othee smiths charge but to cut the 24mm threads off the FSB, weld the AK100 series muzzle device retainer pin holes, fefinish the fsb and thread for 14/1 your looking at $160 for labor plus the muzzle device.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore

You'd be better off replacing the whole front sight bock entirely. A Romanian FSB and a US slant brake will run you only $20 or so in new parts are are a cinch to press on and pin. Then you'd just need to thread the barrel.

The original '74 style block and brake are worth $70 or so to the rest of us who are taking our Saigas the other way. Especially if the brake is a US-made compliance part.

Forest

The AR guy
    Jul 13, 2011
    i wont say anything about reliability other than, even just theoretically speaking, the slick surface that chrome provides in a chamber would greatly aid in extraction, which would become even more apparent once the chamber begins to get quite dirty.

Nothing theoretical about it. The US Army ran a test in the 60s specifically using XM177s comparing chrome lined and non chromed chambers. Chrome lining definately helped reliablity. See report DPS-2754 Dated June 1968 entitled "Final Report on Product Improvement Test of Submachine Gun, 5.56mm XM177E2" for details.

BTW it's not just about the low friction surface, but the fact chrome won't rust so you won't get a pitted chamber when working in damp environments. As we all know, pitted chambers are a detriment to reliability.

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    I'm not saying the American barrels are on the same level. Yes it is widely accepted that chrome lining improves barrel life. I'm saying that just because an AK lacks a CLB doesn't mean its only use is as a range toy.

The Commies aren't using their rifles in the same way as most gun owning Americans. With the addition of a happy switch the importance of chrome lining becomes much greater. Unfortunately, all we really have is a 7.62x39 semi-automatic sporting rifle. The stresses these rifles are undergoing aren't anywhere near that of their counterparts around the world. I would imagine the average American owned AK sees stresses more in line with a certain 30-06 semi automatic rifle that has been floating around by the thousands for 60 years.(Not quite the same but still)

I'm not trying to go against the experts on this forum but sometimes one can get so knowledgeable in a subject their standards get inflated and "If it is not X it is shit" develops.

So we are in agreement for the most part. I never said it was bad for occasional use like you say the typical American goes through and would be fine for self-defense. I was saying for SHTF and no luxury of spare parts and time then American barrels will be lacking. Oldman was saying how he was using his Yugo AK as one of his SHTF weapons when I said it was a bad choice and that he should stick with his Arsenal's for that.

Nothing theoretical about it. The US Army ran a test in the 60s specifically using XM177s comparing chrome lined and non chromed chambers. Chrome lining definately helped reliablity. See report DPS-2754 Dated June 1968 entitled "Final Report on Product Improvement Test of Submachine Gun, 5.56mm XM177E2" for details.

BTW it's not just about the low friction surface, but the fact chrome won't rust so you won't get a pitted chamber when working in damp environments. As we all know, pitted chambers are a detriment to reliability.

I wouldn't say chrome lining won't rust. I would say it is rust resistant and is definitely much better at resisting it than bare metal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom