• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    Yeah, I know.

I needed something other than the way-too-powerful scope I had on it. Since I usually make a habit of buying optics twice (:sad20:) I decided this time to try the front post change, and see if that did the trick.

Sometimes you forget how lightweight an AR can be without all of the crap bolted to it. I would like to get another optic for it, but:

1. I don't know which I like best (aimpoint, eotech, ACOG). I've used aimpoint and eotech, but would like to try an ACOG. I have a Millett DMS-1 (SB shortdot knockoff) on my Beowulf, and like the 4X setting.

2. My budget is about to get really stretched. I'm in the market for a precision rifle, and in the interest of "buy once, cry once", may go a little overboard on the scope (Nightforce). An R-5 plus a Nightforce, plus miscellaneous is going to cost me a penny or two.

Just did it Ben....GA Precision & Nightforce....ouch.

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    Ben- Once you buy the 5-R and scope it with good glass (Loop Mk4 4.5-14 TMR on mine) you'll forget how much you spent once you shoot it. The same will most likely go for your AR optics. Im still running irons on mine.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Ben- Once you buy the 5-R and scope it with good glass (Loop Mk4 4.5-14 TMR on mine) you'll forget how much you spent once you shoot it. The same will most likely go for your AR optics. Im still running irons on mine.

It's Ed's fault. He let me shoot a match with his Nightforce. I know anything less would just heckle me.

pauln

WECSOG Alumnus
    Mar 2, 2007
    Harford Co.
    that burris ar332 looks pretty nice.. to side track a bit though, i want to ask you guys something... i was watching, i believe gun & ammo a few weeks ago and they had a segment about optics on ar15's, or in this case it happen to be an ar15...

but, what caught my eye and i like the idea is this.... the ar15 had a magnifying scope on the top rail and to the side of it, the guy had a red dot scope... i thought that was pretty good setup for those that like to shoot long range but also, have the ability to tilt the ar15 to the side a tad bit to utilize the red dot for close quarters...

anyone see that show?.. or even know what kind of mount is required to do that?..

You mean like this. Leupold 4.5-14x on top and a C-More mounted at about the 1:30 position on the handguard.

Attachments

• Dsc01751.jpg
      Dsc01751.jpg
      118.4 KB · Views: 224

Mega

Wolverine
    Feb 18, 2009
    Lewes, DE
    I found that I like making small groups on paper, so this is what does it for me right now.
    The optic is a Mueller 8.5-25x44 AO Tactical scope on Warne QD rings. Excellent glass. :thumbsup:

DSCN0018.JPG

Since the "small groups" bug bit, I've begun building a 20" rifle with an A2 stock to use for that role.
    The glass you see here (along with the Harris bipod) will go on the new rifle, and the M4 will go back to being a CQBR with a set of MBUS sights on it.

Kchen986

aka "SWAT" =P
    Oct 12, 2008
    TA01 ECOS with the Docter on top. Am reasonably quick with it. So far, it's run very well for me.

82ndShooter

Nov 20, 2008
    Colorado
    Okay, I'm running with the Aimpoint 3X magnifier and the Aimpoint CompM4. As you can see in the attached picture, the CompM4 is slightly lower than the 3X magnifier. Not only am I experiencing the apparent issue with the sights not lining up properly, but the mount for the CompM4 is not sitting perfectly on the picanty rail and is not dead center as I'd like for it to be. :tdown:

Does anyone here know of a combo mounting rail that allows me to attach both optics to the same mount so that they line up perfectly? Thanks!

Attachments

• phone 010.jpg
      phone 010.jpg
      85 KB · Views: 170
    • phone 013.jpg
      phone 013.jpg
      68.3 KB · Views: 183

Mega

Wolverine
    Feb 18, 2009
    Lewes, DE
    how much did that scope setup cost?

The scope will be about $160 and the Warne rings run about $70
    http://www.swfa.com/pc-10573-1507-mueller-85-25x44-tactical-riflescope.aspx

Do a Google search on the Mueller 8.5-25x44 Tactical Scope to see reports of features and user impressions.

Muller is a well known brand in the rimfire community (check RFC for proof). The Mueller APV and Eradicator models are particularly well regarded, but their centerfire offerings are of equally good quality. Mueller does not advertise, so their scopes are less expensive than the more well known brands because of it.

I own 3 Mueller scopes... an APV, and Eradicator, and this Tactical, and I can say that everyone who has used one of mine has been impressed with the clarity and quality.

VNVGUNNER

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    Hebron, Md.
    Okay, I'm running with the Aimpoint 3X magnifier and the Aimpoint CompM4. As you can see in the attached picture, the CompM4 is slightly lower than the 3X magnifier. Not only am I experiencing the apparent issue with the sights not lining up properly, but the mount for the CompM4 is not sitting perfectly on the picanty rail and is not dead center as I'd like for it to be. :tdown:

Does anyone here know of a combo mounting rail that allows me to attach both optics to the same mount so that they line up perfectly? Thanks!

Look at LaRue.

http://www.laruetactical.com/

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    I found that I like making small groups on paper, so this is what does it for me right now.
    The optic is a Mueller 8.5-25x44 AO Tactical scope on Warne QD rings. Excellent glass. :thumbsup:

DSCN0018.JPG

Since the "small groups" bug bit, I've begun building a 20" rifle with an A2 stock to use for that role.
    The glass you see here (along with the Harris bipod) will go on the new rifle, and the M4 will go back to being a CQBR with a set of MBUS sights on it.

You should never bridge the gap like that if you expect any type of accuracy.

So i have the scope setup i want now, and that really works for me, and i dont know why i didnt try it earlier. Im running a IOR Valdada 1.1-4x26 in a Larue SPR-E (Tradeing for the SPR-E) Mount. This setup seems perfect to me. So now that i finally have a correct scope setup, i can worry about getting better with it.

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    Not the most expensive, but definitely not the cheapest, I went with the Burris XTS 135 with ADM Cantilever mount, Larue's Flip to Side mount and a Burris AR Tripler are on the way. BUIS eventually to top it off.

MPAnglerail.jpg

MPLeft2.jpg

My quick opinion on cheap optics since ive been there done that.

ARs are like toilet paper.

When you buy toilet paper do you buy the cheap stuff that falls apart in your hand and rubs your ass raw or the more expensive, softer, thicker stuff that lasts longer and feels better?

When you buy cheap for an AR, like I did once, you get a shitty set up that doesnt last and when you buy cheap toilet paper....well you just get a shitty hand.

Last edited:

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Just received and mounted the vortex strikefire, while being manufactured overseas, the company in Wisconsin seems to stand behind them from what ive seen on arfcom. I have not had a chance to try it out yet, it may be a while. They run about 150 average, seen them for 129.00 like i got mine for but also see ppl trying to sell them for 179.00 . So watch the bottom line if you do go with one, they also have a specific mount for the AR so look for that one if possible. I figure this will be fun to try and one day ill shell out the bucks for the aimpoint or acog.

BTW. you guys who posted before me have some sweet EBR's :party29:

Attachments

• Picture 100.jpg
      Picture 100.jpg
      118 KB · Views: 116

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    Is 3" at 100 yards accurate enough using Wolf 55gr FMJ Military Classic?

Could be better, try mounting the scope completely on the reciever, and than go shoot again. Your handguard flexes alot that you dont see.

Kchen986

aka "SWAT" =P
    Oct 12, 2008
    I always thought if a scope rested on a Free Floated forearm, mounting optics on it wouldn't create any problems?

Pic of my TA-01ECOS on the rifle with my plate carrier:

b187902539.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom