• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Chad has it right... The only reason I am building a .300 BLKOUT is because I plan on reloading subsonic rounds and running a suppressor with this... It just seems too fun.

Forest

The AR guy
    Jul 13, 2011
    I prefer common military rounds. Theres no reason whatsoever that commonly available calibers cant do a job you ask of it.

Try and find 6.5, 6.8, .458 SOCOM in most gunstore shelves, wont likely happen.

Funny I've found 6.5 & 6.8 in Cabellas, and I've found 6.8 in several gun stores - including 2A Sales. It's out there. ;)

Forest

The AR guy
    Jul 13, 2011
    Chad has it right... The only reason I am building a .300 BLKOUT is because I plan on reloading subsonic rounds and running a suppressor with this... It just seems too fun.

If you want to shoot subsonic the .300 is by far the better platform.

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    I prefer common military rounds. Theres no reason whatsoever that commonly available calibers cant do a job you ask of it.

5.56 in a Bolt Gun, AR, ACR, MSAR/AUG, or SCAR
    7.62x39 in an AK
    5.45x39 in an AK
    .308 in a Bolt Gun, AR10, FNAR, Saiga, HK91/PTR, M1A, SCAR H, or FAL
    .30-06 in a Bolt Gun, or M1 Garand
    .300 Win Mag in a Bolt Gun
    .338 Lapua in a Bolt Gun
    .50 BMG in a Bolt Gun, SERBU, or Barrett Auto

These are all common loads that DONT require reloading or shopping for ammo online and wont ever go by the wayside.

The .300 Blackout im not very fond of either but where it shines is the standard AR parts it uses. No special Bolts, Mags, ect..... Just a different barrel and your shooting .300 BLK, and its biting in more than the 6.5 and 6.8 did and I think it will be a common caliber very soon.

I like the FN 5.7 in the FiveseveN and PS90 but its not as easy to find but the platforms they offer it in are something to consider.

Try and find 6.5, 6.8, .458 SOCOM in most gunstore shelves, wont likely happen.

If you want a wondercaliber AR buy a .300 BLK, otherwise build an AR10/SR25 type AR in .308, or an AR in 5.56, or an AK in 7.62x39. It all depends on the type of use for the weapon and the ranges (Distances) you plan to use it.

The problem with 6.5/6.8/.458 beowulf is they dont have as many people making ammo for them as .300 blk already has, and is picking up more companies every day.

deerslayer79

Jan 27, 2007
    Delmar Md
    truth be known,my stepson wants to start huntin,been shootin 22 and 20ga for a while and instead of buyin a youth rifle,whats the point of buyin one if I can't shoot it,I thought gettin a rifle on a AR platform would be best.I know that 223 is marginal,can be done but not by a newbie,a 6.8 would be the ticket.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Funny I've found 6.5 & 6.8 in Cabellas, and I've found 6.8 in several gun stores - including 2A Sales. It's out there. ;)

Thats good for you. Mark stocks lots of stuff most shops and stores dont, he has a business model that meets individual needs well. Hes a smart guy.

Its till not common no matter how hard the fans push it. Eventually people will see the rounds solve a problem that dont exist.

Cartriges of the World and Reloading Books are full of "Amazing" calibers that kill unicorns and t-rex's that people discovered didnt kill any more "uber awesome" than anything more common.

Trying to debate this issue with you is like arguing that an AR is just as reliable as an AK, but you are filling the shoes of the "AK guy".

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    The problem with 6.5/6.8/.458 beowulf is they dont have as many people making ammo for them as .300 blk already has, and is picking up more companies every day.

Im not sure if your agreeing with me but I think you are saying what I did but differently.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    truth be known,my stepson wants to start huntin,been shootin 22 and 20ga for a while and instead of buyin a youth rifle,whats the point of buyin one if I can't shoot it,I thought gettin a rifle on a AR platform would be best.I know that 223 is marginal,can be done but not by a newbie,a 6.8 would be the ticket.

Sounds like you made up your mind already. Good luck.

Forest

The AR guy
    Jul 13, 2011

I don't know about the other calibers but I doubt more companies are making .300 than 6.8

I know of at least 9 companies that make 6.8 ammo, and another comming online later this year.

I only know of 3 right now for the .300.

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    I don't know about the other calibers but I doubt more companies are making .300 than 6.8

I know of at least 9 companies that make 6.8 ammo, and another comming online later this year.

The other issue with 6.8 is the brass, i remember people talking about how hard it was to get brass for, you cannot just make 6.8 brass yourself.

Forest

The AR guy
    Jul 13, 2011
    The other issue with 6.8 is the brass, i remember people talking about how hard it was to get brass for, you cannot just make 6.8 brass yourself.

That is true, you cannot 'make' brass (Unless you have lots of old .30 Remmington lying around - it's an obsolete cartridge).

So you have to buy it, or save it from the ammo you've shot.

SSA is the best of the brass that is available. The only time they seem to be out is after they run sales. Midway carries SSA, Remington and now Hornady.

I've had a harder time finding 7.62x25 and 7.62x39 brass. The x25 I was learning how to make from 5.56.

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    That is true, you cannot 'make' brass (Unless you have lots of old .30 Remmington lying around - it's an obsolete cartridge).

So you have to buy it, or save it from the ammo you've shot.

SSA is the best of the brass that is available. The only time they seem to be out is after they run sales. Midway carries SSA, Remington and now Hornady.

I've had a harder time finding 7.62x25 and 7.62x39 brass. The x25 I was learning how to make from 5.56.

If you want to be specific, Form is the word i was looking for, but you can form .300 BLK brass out of .223.

mayor_quimby

4+4= Jello
    Nov 19, 2008

ran across this ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.62×35mm

The following companies are making or have announced 300 AAC BLACKOUT products:

* AAC - uppers, rifles, silencers, and ammunition.
    * Adams Arms - rifles and uppers.
    * All Weather Arms - brass processing.
    * AR-Stoner - barrels.
    * Atlanta Arms - ammo.
    * Barnes Bullets - ammo, bullets.
    * BFG Cartridges - Savage barrels.
    * Black Hole Weaponry - barrels.
    * Brad's Warehouse - converted brass.
    * Bushmaster Firearms - uppers and rifles.
    * BWE Firearms - rifles, uppers, and suppressors.
    * CMMG - barrels, uppers, and ammo.
    * Compass Lake Engineering - AR barrels.
    * Cor-Bon - ammo
    * Core15 - rifles, uppers.
    * Custom Reloads of Dallas - ammo.
    * Daniel Defense - rifles.
    * Delta Company Arms - rifles, barrels, uppers.
    * Dillon Precision - reloading conversion kits.
    * Double Tap - ammo.
    * DPMS - rifles and uppers.
    * DS Arms - rifles and uppers.
    * Forster - reloading dies.
    * Grim Reaper Tactical - barrels, uppers, lowers, and rifles.
    * Gunn - ammo.
    * Hornady - ammo, dies, brass.
    * Kel-Tec - SU16C.
    * Kiss Tactical - lowers.
    * Lee - reloading dies.
    * L.E. Wilson - case gauges.
    * Lewis Machine and Tool - barrels, uppers, rifles.
    * Loki Weapon Systems - uppers/rifles.
    * Lone Star Armory - 300 AAC BLACKOUT marked lowers.
    * Lothar Walther - barrels.
    * LWRCI - rifles.
    * Match Grade Machine - Thompson barrels.
    * McGowen Barrel - Savage and other barrels.
    * McCourt Munitions - ammo.
    * Model 1 Sales - AR barrels/uppers
    * Montana Rifleman - barrels.
    * Noveske - rifles and uppers.
    * Olympic Arms - rifles and uppers.
    * One Shot - ammo.
    * Pac-Nor - barrels.
    * Pacific Tool and Gauge - reamers and gauges.
    * PalmettoStateArmory - uppers.
    * PNW Arms - ammo.
    * Primary Weapons Systems - rifles and uppers.
    * Rainer Arms - barrels.
    * Raven Armament Company - ammo and uppers.
    * Redding - dies.
    * Remington - ammunition.
    * Right 2 Bear Ammo - ammunition.
    * River Valley Ordnance - reformed brass.
    * Robarms - XCR Micro rifle.
    * Ron Williams - barrels.
    * RUAG - ammo.
    * Satern Custom Machining, Inc. - barrels.
    * Savage - rifles.
    * Selph Arms LLC - barrels, uppers, re-chambering, and rifles.
    * SI Defense - barrels.
    * Sig Sauer - rifles.
    * Smith & Wesson - rifles, uppers.
    * Sierra - bullets.
    * SilencerCo - silencers.
    * Southern Ballistic Research - ammo.
    * Southwest Ammunition, LLC - ammo.
    * Spike's Tactical - uppers and rifles.
    * Summit - ammo.
    * Surefire - 300 BLK sound suppressor.
    * The Bullet Works - bullets and ammunition.
    * Top Notch Tactical - ammo.
    * Triton Arms - AR barrels.
    * Ultra Tech - ammo (Australia)
    * Umlaut Industries - 300 BLK caliber marked Rifles, Upper and Lowers. 16" and 10" Factory Title II.
    * White Oak Precision - AR barrels.
    * Wilson Combat - rifles, hunting and self defense ammunition.

rsilvers

Dec 24, 2010
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/54...62x35mm-115-grain-full-metal-jacket-box-of-20

300 AAC Blackout UMC is the #1 most popular rifle cartridge at MidwayUSA - there is no 223/5.56mm load - or any cartridge for that matter, that is higher ranked.

300blknumberone.png

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    The blackout really shines as a suppressed round. I bought a CMMG on a whim, and love it. In fact, I like the round so much that I'm thinking of selling the right-handed CMMG and building a left-handed, Noveske SBR version, instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom