• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Press Release here:
    https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/atto...es-regulation-effectively-banning-bump-stocks

Today, Attorney General Jeff Sessions announced that the Department of Justice is proposing to amend the regulations of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives, clarifying that bump stocks fall within the definition of “machinegun” under federal law, as such devices allow a shooter of a semiautomatic firearm to initiate a continuous firing cycle with a single pull of the trigger.

In making the announcement, Attorney General Sessions made the following statement:

“Since the day he took office, President Trump has had no higher priority than the safety of each and every American,” said Attorney General Jeff Sessions. “That is why today the Department of Justice is publishing for public comment a proposed rulemaking that would define ‘machinegun’ to include bump stock-type devices under federal law—effectively banning them. After the senseless attack in Las Vegas, this proposed rule is a critical step in our effort to reduce the threat of gun violence that is in keeping with the Constitution and the laws passed by Congress. I look forward to working with the President’s School Safety Commission to identify other ways to keep our country and our children safe, and I thank the President for his courageous leadership on this issue.”

On February 20, 2018, the President issued a memorandum instructing the Attorney General “to dedicate all available resources to… propose for notice and comment a rule banning all devices that turn legal weapons into machineguns.” This NPRM is in response to that direction, and would make clear that the term “machinegun” as used in the National Firearms Act (NFA), as amended, and Gun Control Act (GCA), as amended, includes all bump-stock-type devices that harness recoil energy to facilitate the continuous operation of a semiautomatic long gun after a single pull of the trigger. If the NPRM is made final, bump-stock-type devices would be effectively banned under federal law and current possessors of bump-stock-type devices would be required to surrender, destroy, or otherwise render the devices permanently inoperable. The comment period for the NPRM is 90 days from the date of publication in the Federal Register.

To view the Notice of Proposed Rulemaking click here.

Please note: This is the text of the Bump Stock Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) as signed by the Attorney General, but the official version of the NPRM will be as it is published in the Federal Register.”

PDF of proposed rules here:
    https://www.justice.gov/file/1046006/download

UPDATE: COMMENT PERIOD OFFICIALLY OPEN
    https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2018/03/29/2018-06292/bump-stock-type-devices

Last edited:

Adolph Oliver Bush

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 13, 2015
    Submit your written comments folks. They have to read each and every one of them, summarize them, and present them with the rulemaking package.

Or so I've heard....

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Wow, trump is going to pick up D votes for his recent antics. I’m guessing the nra likes this as well. Converting people into deplorable with the stroke of a pen. We are the swamp.

Decoy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2007
    Dystopia
    THE NRA IS 100% BEHIND THIS SHIT.

They release a propaganda video last night and said they still want to ban bump stocking right in the middle of it.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    no amnesty.

Have to destroy them.

Does not appear to apply to binary triggers or other devices.

Well, the MD GA hasn't had their final swipe at it yet.

As Curly would say ...

Attachments

• day-aint-over-yet.jpg
      day-aint-over-yet.jpg
      22 KB · Views: 1,053

BDWMS

Feb 21, 2013
    Howard County
    Will people be compensated? Those things have value.

Also, is there precedent for making changes like this? Can suppressors be good to go with a stroke of a pen?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Will people be compensated? Those things have value.

Also, is there precedent for making changes like this? Can suppressors be good to go with a stroke of a pen?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

No compensation.

The precedent that they cite is the Atkins accelerator: turn em in or destroy em.

Of course, there are other precedents, like the Streetsweeper shotguns in the early 1990s, where they allowed an amnesty registration. Shotguns are not machineguns. So arguably, the Hughes Amendment precludes an amnesty registration for machineguns. But hard to say.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    You can 3D print the trigger guard version in less than an hour. This does nothing but make people felons.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Still reads like a stick or my finger or a rubber band or s belt loop now makes any semi auto into s machine gun, IMO, so are they banned also??

Banning parts and pieces of plastic mounted on the outside of a firearm is just a step towards banning semi autos

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    In before the first person claims this is all a genius plan to pretend to compromise with liberals but really the intent is to have this overturned in court. Really they're just doing us a favor, like they did with the Hughes Amendment. And the GCA. And the AWB.

Kicken Wing

Snakes and Sparklers
    Apr 5, 2014
    WASH-CO
    Right now I am not happy with Donald Trump OR the NRA. After reading this proposed ruling and hearing Jeff Sessions comments I feel extremely let down. Getting my letter to the ATF ready now. I am joining the GOA and giving my money to them. I will also continue to support MSI. I think a letter to the NRA is in line as well. Anyone that thinks their guns are safe have not yet seen the light.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    There is a whole section on "techniques." Let me summarize Sessions: You argument is invalid. ban bump stocks.

Ah yes, technique, using a bumpstock makes the trigger bump my finger but technique makes my finger bump the trigger, now I see no difference but again I am not a lawyer nor do I speak politician

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom