At what point of modification does an M1 Garand become a banned weapon?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigmike349

Jun 26, 2013
    Just curious about people's thoughts on this. I know the M1 Garand is excluded from the banned rifles list, but at what point of modifying it, would it become a banned gun?

I would love to own a BM 59, but as they are banned I wonder what mods would qualify an M1 Garand as a BM 59 clone? Looks like JRA's attempt at a compliant version (XM1E2) is banned. If I sent an M1 Garand off to Shuff's, what could I have him do to get me close to a BM59 without stepping over the ban line? Mini Garand, BM59 trigger group, bipod, m14 mags, bolt stop...etc

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    The AG has said that a copy of a banned weapon is one with 100% parts compatibly, which is why light barrel 300 blk ARs and the like are ok.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    The M1 doesn't use a detachable box magazine plus it's not a copy of anything else much less a full-auto military issue rifle look-a-like similar to an M1-A.

But the real answer to your question is that the idiots in the state legislature haven't gotten around to it yet. Give them time.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    If it has a Ford Model A chassis, it's a Ford Model A.

If it has a Garand receiver, it's a Garand.

In practice, the shifting whims of the MSP seem to trump the actual law. Bushmaster HBARs were cash-and-carry until after 10/1/13. The obvious misinterpretation of "Bushmaster" demonstrates deliberate ill-intent on the part of the mis-interpreters, or those who sign their paychecks.

Those same ill-intentioned mis-interpreters can just as easily misinterpret the identity of "Garand" or even "BM59" if they are motivated or told to do so.

That's why it's best to just STFU and don't stir the chamber pot with a lot of interrogatories.

bigmike349

Jun 26, 2013
    The M1 doesn't use a detachable box magazine plus it's not a copy of anything else much less a full-auto military issue rifle look-a-like similar to an M1-A.

But the real answer to your question is that the idiots in the state legislature haven't gotten around to it yet. Give them time.

but the M1 receiver is essentially a BM 59 receiver, so much so that you can do a conversion with a bm59 parts kit. I'm essentially looking to see how close I can get to modifying a garand to be like a BM 59 without ending up with a banned "BM 59 clone" like the JRA xm1e2.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    Once the parts exchange and it's the same caliber, it's probably a copy

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    If you have Shuff modify it for M-14 mags rather than BM-59 mags, you should be okay. You cannot use a BM-59 mag in an M-14 magwell and vice versa. That makes for <100% compatibility. Plus the BM-59 bolt is not the same as a Garand bolt, which works fine with M-14 mags but needs to be milled to work with BM-59 mags.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    A garand is not an “assault weapon” until you’ve bubba’d hard and added two of the following:
    -Folding Stock
    -Grenade Launcher
    -Flash hider

If you molest it to make the overall length under 29”, you’ve also made it an “assault weapon”

If you’re a very strange person, you can also make it an “assault weapon” by added a fixed magazine capable of holding more than 10 rounds...

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    A garand is not an “assault weapon” until you’ve bubba’d hard and added two of the following:
    -Folding Stock
    -Grenade Launcher
    -Flash hider

If you molest it to make the overall length under 29”, you’ve also made it an “assault weapon”

If you’re a very strange person, you can also make it an “assault weapon” by added a fixed magazine capable of holding more than 10 rounds...

Anybody that does any of those things should be beat with a stick
    :o

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    -Folding Stock
    -Grenade Launcher
    -Flash hider

You need to have your rifle card taken away from you for even suggesting such things.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    You need to have your rifle card taken away from you for even suggesting such things.
    erbset-008.jpg

AeDiS.jpg

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    That thing is ridiculous. Looks like an adult can swap the stock back easily enough, though.

-Folding Stock
    -Grenade Launcher
    -Flash hider

You're describing a BM59 Mk-1A

55907dd043f8d861a351b60b7308ef7c.jpg

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    That thing is ridiculous. Looks like an adult can swap the stock back easily enough, though.

You're describing a BM59 Mk-1A

55907dd043f8d861a351b60b7308ef7c.jpg
    0_o

Not only am I perplexed that that’s a thing, but your knowledge of these things never ceases to amaze!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom