• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    OK, I have been to SC one time. I don't really like the state that much. It is swampy. The landscape is ugly. I didn't go to the beach area and that may be why.

Now, let get on to the real topic. They had the nerve to fire the first shot in the Civil War. However they don't have the nerve to accept CCW from residents and non-residents of other states. Their acceptance list of CCW from other states is pitiful.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    If you research the history, you will see that SC did the same thing MD did decades ago--enact racist Jim Crow-style gun laws to prevent African Americans from obtaining firearms and permits.

That elitist who-you-know legacy, as in MD, continues today.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    If you research the history, you will see that SC did the same thing MD did decades ago--enact racist Jim Crow-style gun laws to prevent African Americans from obtaining firearms and permits.

That elitist who-you-know legacy, as in MD, continues today.

This should come as little surprise, but when I tell my students about the racist nature of gun control laws and their direct relationship to the abolition of slavery, they almost never know that. This includes my adult students of all backgrounds.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    It is new to me about racist Jim Crow-style gun laws. I lived north of Mason-Dixon line most of my life. So they feared black people owning guns long ago. What's their excuse now for not changing it?

MigraineMan

Ultimate Member
    Jun 9, 2011
    Frederick County
    OK, I have been to SC one time. I don't really like the state that much. It is swampy. The landscape is ugly. I didn't go to the beach area and that may be why.

Now, let get on to the real topic. They had the nerve to fire the first shot in the Civil War. However they don't have the nerve to accept CCW from residents and non-residents of other states. Their acceptance list of CCW from other states is pitiful.

They don't accept out-of-state Learners Permits for new drivers, either. (In spite of their requirements being substantially on-par with everyone else's.) SC was the only state Miss Migraine couldn't drive in on our annual Land Of The Dead excursion.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    The problem with South Carolina is that it's filling up with wealthy retired Maryland liberals.

Exactly right!

I've known of a steady stream of contemporaries (well to do and not so much so) retire and move to both the Carolinas. Supposedly because of taxes and ease of visiting their grandkids whose parents work in the DC area (for guess who). And strangely enough, many of my contemporaries were originally from NYC or the NYC burbs.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    true story, if many only knew what Charleston looks like now. The locals cant stand how many out of state people are moving in and trying to change things at an alarming rate.

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    You know what would be really cool at the legislative hearings would be if someone testified supporting these gun laws exactly the same way, using the same words to the democratic senate and house members as the persons who wanted minorities disarmed and watch them squirm and call the person testifying racist.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    I'm just guessing here on a few things:

I think the reciprocity law may be somewhat of a relic that they haven't been able to shake. It's main problem is non-resident permits are a no go; this statute wasn't common before and its less common now (WV used to have it also). Why they can't get rid of it you ask? Seems their rules allow for quite a bit of filibustering and delays by the minority party. A simple recognition of ONLY GA and NC was basically filibustered for days until the Democrats finally let it go to a vote, where it passed easily. But that was a narrow bill. Removing the resident requirement will meet with more resistance.
    Another issue is lack of OC. This could have to do with tourism (like FL), and the pols think the NY/NJ weenies won't want to visit if they see any guns.

There are 2 threads dealing with SC Constitutional Carry and reciprocity bills. The ConCarry bill passed the House and stalled in the Senate(although it does pick up where it left off next year). The reciprocity bill got watered down and the resident clause got added back in.

They are just messed up down there unfortunately.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I have friends that live in SC , think it's great.

From the standpoint of * Residents * , they think they are reveling in Gun Freedoms. And they do have it pretty good .

BUT , their State Level 2A Groups have kept their focus on the people who live there, and not the big picture of interlocking Reciprocity. And without coordinated efforts by ALL 2A supporters, they have very uphill task to counter general governmental inertia, and a generally well respected state level LE Agency ( SLED ) that is channeling thier Inner Md State Police, when it comes to Gun Rights .

( Yeah, SC has yankee transplant and growth issues , but those are similar or less than in NC or Ga , where 2A groups see the bigger picture, and make cause on behalf of non-resident.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    My SC friends tell me how great it is . Walk into store, walk out with guns of choice. (Rapid) Shall Issue with a smile, lots of "normal, regular" people carrying .

I try to point out SC is least gun friendly State in the South , and they think I am crazy, with a third arm growing from my forehead .

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    http://news10.com/2017/08/24/authorities-responding-to-active-shooter-in-downtown-charleston-sc/

Been to SC.. attended a high school graduation.. didn't like it.. they cant even applaud/cheer to their kids when they walk on stage for the diploma. Reason: "may cause of riots". One parent actually cheered.. soon enough.. cop grab the parent and out the door they went.. (believe he got a ticket for it).

North Charleston is to Charleston as Baltimore is to the inner harbor.

riots and brawls at school, in waffle houses, and on the street are common in north charleston

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom