• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Well, someone watching the ineptness in congress could come to that conclusion.

I don't believe a teacher should endorse artwork with a political content.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Well, someone watching the ineptness in congress could come to that conclusion.

I don't believe a teacher should endorse artwork with a political content.

"was given an assignment by his teacher to draw a political sign"

The teacher should never have given the assignment in the first place then.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Devil is in the details, seems it was appropriate given the assignment for a middleschool age kid. Now if this was an art teacher venturing into politics instead of a "social studies" assignment, kids with conservative art got bad grades, or the teacher put the kid up to it, then by all means break out the torches. Seems dad was PO'ed by it, so there is hope for the kid.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Without clicking the link, imma guess and say this was a public school.

Probably but I dont see how it makes a difference. Think there's no partisanship in private school? My wife and one of her best friends (our son's are best friends from private school) didnt speak to each other for almost a year after the 08 election ;)

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Devil is in the details, seems it was appropriate given the assignment for a middleschool age kid. Now if this was an art teacher venturing into politics instead of a "social studies" assignment, kids with conservative art got bad grades, or the teacher put the kid up to it, then by all means break out the torches. Seems dad was PO'ed by it, so there is hope for the kid.

Yup. It seems the assignment was to create a political sign. He could have made the sign for or against any issue or politician. He chose to make a sign against Trump.

As a political sign, it's a bit crass for school, but it is very effective. For f's sake, his sign is published in national political news and has sparked political debate outside of his classroom.... that's basically the purpose of a political sign.

As long as the creation of a sign, and not the forcing of a political ideology, is the assignment, I see nothing wrong with the assignment or the 100%

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I'd like to know what the class discussion was before the assignment was given to the children. My guess is that the teacher led the kids down that slippery slope and SHE got exactly what SHE wanted from most of the kids.

Wraith

Oct 19, 2009
    Denton
    So who's gonna draw the DNC donkey drilling Bernie up the butt while Hillary rides it bareback? "Feel the Burn"

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Perhaps the boy was depicting what certain so called Republican Senators and Representatives in Congress are doing to Trump's efforts to Drain The Swamp.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    "was given an assignment by his teacher to draw a political sign"

The teacher should never have given the assignment in the first place then.

Agreed.

The kid seems to be an astute observer of current politics and if that was in fact the assignment, he should receive 100% for it.

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    Perhaps the boy was depicting what certain so called Republican Senators and Representatives in Congress are doing to Trump's efforts to Drain The Swamp.

True, there is more than one way to interpret something like this. However, I would far rather they teach the kids to actual words and meaning of our founding documents as well as the legal procedures our government entities are supposed to be following rather than drawing political cartoons.

As parents we saw far too many "poster" and other artsy assignments being assigned to our kids in what should have been academic classes. This is how they are dumbing down classes in order to ensure most kids pass.

Last edited:

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    This kid has some serious artistic potential. That is an amazing likeness of Frosh he has there just above Trump's head;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom