• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigCity

retired undertaker
    Oct 24, 2007
    Carroll County
    Got this "reply" in my email TODAY concerning my non-support for 1302 earlier this year......

Dear BigCity:

Thank you for your correspondence to Governor Larry Hogan regarding “red flag” legislation. As the Governor’s Chief Legislative Officer, he has asked me to respond on his behalf.

When Governor Hogan announced his support for policies that allow family members or law enforcement officers to ask a court to issue an extreme risk protective order, he emphasized the imperative need to protect due process. While the Maryland General Assembly was considering HB 1302, the Governor’s Office urged legislators to include due process protections such as “a high evidentiary standard in order to issue a lethal violence protective order, an opportunity for the respondent to address the petition made against him or her, expedited hearing timelines, and a limited scope of who can petition the court under this process” in the final version of the legislation.

House Bill 1302, in its final form, contains a number of important due process protections. The court is required to provide written notice to the respondent about the process, potential consequences, and future hearing dates on both the interim extreme risk protective order and temporary extreme risk protective order. The respondent must be given an opportunity to to be heard on the question of whether the judge should issue a final extreme risk protective order. Finally, in order to issue a final risk protective order, a judge must consider evidence presented by both the respondent and petitioner and must find by clear and convincing evidence, the highest evidentiary burden in a civil proceeding, that the respondent poses a danger of causing injury to themselves or others by possessing a firearm.

In order to protect against frivolous filings, the legislation limits those that can petition for an extreme risk protective order to certain mental health or medical professionals, law enforcement officers, and specified family members and close relations of the individual. A petitioner would file for an order under penalty of perjury and set forth specific facts in support of the claim that the individual poses an immediate and present danger to himself or others. Further, HB 1302 requires and allows a court to review all relevant court records involving the petitioner and respondent.

A copy of House Bill 1302 as enacted is available here: http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2018RS/Chapters_noln/CH_250_hb1302e.pdf.

Thank you for your correspondence. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out at 410-974-3336.

Sincerely,

Chris Shank
    Chief Legislative Officer

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Yep. Timely reply to my query.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Well it's good to know that he gave due process a lot of consideration; before signing a bill that lets any Looney Toon or stalker with a grudge have the cops come take your guns away completely on their say so, and then almost completely protects said Looney Tune from any prosecution or civil suit no matter how much they lie, unless of course they practically volunteer to file an affidavit saying they perjured themselves.

Pretty sure one of the most basic tenets of due process is the ability to be heard and answer charges against you before the state takes action, not after.

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    I'm sorry but in his letter it says the person making the accusations can perjure themselves. But yet (D) A PETITIONER WHO, IN GOOD FAITH, FILES A PETITION UNDER THIS
    SUBTITLE IS NOT CIVILLY OR CRIMINALLY LIABLE FOR FILING THE PETITION..

Invicta

Sep 16, 2018
    Got one as well. I wanted to send some smart ass response, but figured it wasn't worth the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom