• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • benton0311

Feb 26, 2011
    I'm looking for the most efficient flash hider for a 7.5" PDW AR15. I'm leaning heavily towards the AAC Blackout since it has (had?) the reputation of being the most effective although I've also considered the LWRC 4-prong FH but I've read of no reviews on those.

Flash cans might be an option but they still seem to have considerable flash and the effective ones are pretty long, negating the OAL reduction for a PDW.

No interest at all in anything that has a muzzle brake anywhere in it's design parameters.

Should I go with the AAC or is there potentially an even better option?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    AAC Brakeout came in dead last in TTAG test. Worse than just a standard A2.

The winner was the JP enterprises FH, and half the price.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/06/jeremy-s/ar-15-flash-hider-shootout/

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/12/jeremy-s/ar-15-flash-hiding-test-2/

FHT2_Lux_Graph.jpg

^^^ note that bare muzzle and AAC Brakeout are missing from the graph above. As you’ll see in the chart below, they were so bright that including them would have destroyed the scale of the graph.

FHT2_Chart1.jpg

benton0311

Feb 26, 2011
    My 10.5" shoots a fireball 12-15"...you're gonna need a pretty long one with a 7.5..

I was issued a Mk18 for a few years and I'm fairly comfortable with the A2 hider/comp on that (as issued - didn't have a choice). I would have liked more flash suppression since there was a fair bit of flash but I felt it was still manageable. Of course I was always wearing NODs in the dark so maybe it's worse than I remember, LOL! Now having a 7.5, I'm hoping a more efficient FH might get it down to what a 10.5 with an A2 comp would be, which is what I'm familiar with.

I'm still leaning towards the AAC Blackout. It wasn't measured on the above tests but I did read other tests that showed it being about the same as the BE Meyers while being more compact.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I'm still leaning towards the AAC Blackout. It wasn't measured on the above tests but I did read other tests that showed it being about the same as the BE Meyers while being more compact.
    Eh, if you look at the results, in terms of lux from the first test, the Blackout came in at .35 while the A2 birdcage came in at .48. That is a near-nil difference in absolute terms, and the A1 birdcage would presumably perform better at a way cheaper price. This is also discounting the tuning fork ringing effect which the Blackout and BE Meyers both have. If you like the looks of the Blackout, have at it, but it doesn't seem like it's worth the price from a performance perspective.

The only time I ever swap out muzzle devices is for suppressor mounts or in the rare case that I want to comp a pistol. The price that most of the manufacturers are charging is absolutely crazy compared to the performance you get. Hell, even for comps/brakes, a VG6 Epsilon gets you 95% of the performance for way under a hundred bucks.

I guess I've become a jaded cynic in my old age. :P The only thing worth running on my 8.25" AR to mitigate flash/blast beyond an A1/A2 would be a suppressor, IMHO.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    That short , and Flash and Blast are not necessarily the same conversation.

As far as actual flash , the A1 or A2 doesn't leave much on the table , and excellent value .

As far as blast reaching the shooter's ears , the various linear compensators will redirect meaningful amounts downrange , at trade off of increased Flash .

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    ..... This is also discounting the tuning fork ringing effect which the Blackout and BE Meyers both have.....

Thats enough for me to never suggest those Flash hiders.

I mean you are running a really short barrel... you are going to get a big blast unless you add a silencer or change to a 9mm barrel. Why you would want a singing flash bulb...
    If you are running night vision, this is really less than ideal. I shoot a 11.5" and I still feel that needs a silencer on it if running NVGs.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    The Venom Defense AR-15 "compensator" I had on my AR-15 for a while was a pretty impressive flash and concussion enhancer. :lol2: There were more than a few times it was throwing sparks with Russian ammo, I had to triple check that there were no strikes inside the brake. Damn, it was loud too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom