• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • http://www.mpsa.net/pg2.html

I took the MPSA Safety course on Sunday with Paul Mason.
    As a new handgun shooter- I wasn't sure what to expect from a skills/experience needed perspective.
    My background:
    Shot on a rifle team as a kid at the gun club (<10yrs old)
    Started with a general handgun class in Jan 2018
    HQL Class in Feb 2018
    Lessons and range time on a weekly basis.
    First handgun (Glock 19) purchased the beginning of April.
    First holster draw lesson/practice this week.

I think its great that MPSA offers this new shooter safety course; I learned a TON of information and in addition got to shoot just about all the stages that were set up for the match for fun.

Paul went over the general rules, classifications, classes of shooting, and recommended I attend as many as I can and talk to people about equipment before I invest a lot in anything. (also make sure I actually want to do this sport). The biggest emphasis was going over (multiple times) the safety rules and pointing out how important they are and also how easy it is to make a small mistake that results in a DQ due to safety violation

Paul had me start with practicing several times the mechanics of the sequence of events doing dry fire and then with live fire and simple drills.

RO: “Shooter make ready.” (load gun, holster)
    RO: “Shooter ready?”
    RO: “Standby”
    RO: “BEEP” (RO starts timer)
    RO: “IF the shooter is finished; Unload and show clear”
    RO: “Hammer down and holster.”
    RO: “Range is clear.” (Calls out time or shows scorekeeper)

The first time I unholstered (empty gun)- I swept my hand (DQ) holding my belt in front of the holster because it is new and snug. Paul pointed that out and I didn't do THAT mistake again :) I really just need to practice smooth and efficient holster movements (literally just got this holster on Weds so very little practice).
    I also need new/different mag pouches because I'll most likely shoot production and they need to be behind my hip- its awkward at best for me with the configuration I have now.

From a technical shooting perspective- I think I did O.K- when I was able to carefully sight and shoot. As people have mentioned previously-shooting fundamentals are important; however when I'm at the range and shooting (even with some timed drills); I'm an average shot- only because I've practiced A LOT and had private lessons and spend time developing that skill (not bragging- I am a VERY NEW shooter- I'm not great but think I am doing o.k. for a novice. This is my first handgun (I've had since the beginning of April) and was renting prior to that for a few months. ALL the skills you have developed can evaporate when there is pressure on (time, a malfunction, movement, etc).
    As Paul explained- there are LOTS of things you CAN practice without needing live fire- and all of those things are things I NEED to practice (Loading magazines from the belt, re-loading, sighting while moving, holstering/unholstering, etc).
    My biggest problem was dealing with the mental aspect of the varied shooting scenarios (kneeling, moving, around things, steel targets). I think I'll get better with experience, practice, and developing a mental management strategy.
    Everyone (esp Paul and Dave) was welcoming, friendly, and willing to talk about equipment, etc.
    I highly recommend the MPSA for new shooter experience.
    I'm definitely going to get as much practice in as I can with mechanics, and hopefully will get to shoot in a match.
    Lori :cool:

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    again, you did great. wish more folks had the chutzpah to get out and shoot a match, it's just so much fun vs static shooting at a square range.

not aimed at the OP, just some general free advice. holstering and drawing is a big issue, both ripe with opportunities to muzzle yourself or worse (light one off into the ground, your leg or foot, or the RO's foot). always "look" the handgun into your holster, making sure there isn't a loose shirt piece, drawstring or the like in the way to catch your trigger. with both holstering and drawing you don't want your other hand anywhere near the gun or holster, just a great chance to muzzle yourself. when drawing my right hand goes on the gun and left hand goes on my chest/belly, then it meets up with the gun as i'm pushing out. and the reverse when holstering. you are never holstering your gun on the clock, so take your time and look it in.

another thing some folks do is angle the gun into the holster. they point it at their hip to find the holster opening, then straighten the gun and drop it in. obviously it's pointed at their hip/leg when doing that which isn't a good thing. keep the gun straight up and down.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    I also need new/different mag pouches because I'll most likely shoot production and they need to be behind my hip- its awkward at best for me with the configuration I have now.

definitely get some "regular capacity" 19 or even 17 mags, even if you shoot in Production and can only load to 10. way easier to load 10 in a 17 or 15 rounder than stuffing that last round or two in a 10-rounder. plus you can generally load your first mag to 11 vs having to mess around with adding a round at the starting line.

also consider shooting in Limited division, at least while you're starting in this game. two benefits. one is you can put your holster and mag holders pretty much where ever you want vs mostly at or behind your hip in Production. second is you can fill up your mags to 17 rounds (and more if you have mag extensions). this removes some, but not all, stage planning around reloads, letting you concentrate more on other stuff.

two downsides - one is that a lot of folks run some REALLY nice (ie expensive) guns in Limited with awesome triggers and ergo's, although there are some pretty good shooters that run glocks in Limited. the other is there is a slight scoring disadvantage shooting regular 9mm vs the "stronger" major power factor .40 ammo most shoot. of course you can prob fit another round or two in your mag due to the size of 9 vs 40.

but for a new shooter it just removes some thought and technicality from the equation and is a good way to start with less to focus on. entering in Limited in one match doesn't preclude you from entering in Production in another match. just depends on what gun and setup you want to do each match.

definitely get some "regular capacity" 19 or even 17 mags, even if you shoot in Production and can only load to 10. way easier to load 10 in a 17 or 15 rounder than stuffing that last round or two in a 10-rounder. plus you can generally load your first mag to 11 vs having to mess around with adding a round at the starting line.

also consider shooting in Limited division, at least while you're starting in this game. two benefits. one is you can put your holster and mag holders pretty much where ever you want vs mostly at or behind your hip in Production. second is you can fill up your mags to 17 rounds (and more if you have mag extensions). this removes some, but not all, stage planning around reloads, letting you concentrate more on other stuff.

two downsides - one is that a lot of folks run some REALLY nice (ie expensive) guns in Limited with awesome triggers and ergo's, although there are some pretty good shooters that run glocks in Limited. the other is there is a slight scoring disadvantage shooting regular 9mm vs the "stronger" major power factor .40 ammo most shoot. of course you can prob fit another round or two in your mag due to the size of 9 vs 40.

but for a new shooter it just removes some thought and technicality from the equation and is a good way to start with less to focus on. entering in Limited in one match doesn't preclude you from entering in Production in another match. just depends on what gun and setup you want to do each match.

I'm going to travel out of MD to find the OEM 15 rd ones to use- definitely an advantage. Paul also mentioned maybe starting in limited for the reasons you mentioned above- and I may just do that (its not like I'm going to be competitive ANYWAY) since it will reduce (some) of the stress of the reloading (which is definitely my weakest skill right now)- and can focus on building other skills

I'm definitely going to work on holster work without a loaded gun. I have a holster class scheduled as well as another private lesson to work just on these skills since I know this is a huge safety issue.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    I'm going to travel out of MD to find the OEM 15 rd ones to use- definitely an advantage.

A lot of websites will allow you to having a different billing and shipping address. If you have a friend in a neighboring state you could always have it shipped to them. Don't forget to get some 33rd mags for your 19, PITA to load but fun to shoot :)

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    Nice review. I havent shot Thurmont. Are the safety briefings offered only on the same day as the match?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    y'all should sign up for peacemaker's supersteel on sat 26th of memorial day weekend. you get to run around and shoot a bunch of falling steel. pretty good match for a beginner as there aren't a lot of rules, but of course the usual safety rules (keep muzzle generally downrange, and finger clearly and visibly outside the trigger guard while moving, reloading, fixing a jam, etc basically all the time unless you're actually on target). i will be running a squad for both the morning and afternoon matches and am happy to show any newbies the ropes. and i can go over the basics for uspsa and idpa, 3 gun, etc to those that are interested. then that sunday probably thurmont/tcsc uspsa and then back at thurmont again monday for 3 gun!

and lori, if you do the peacemaker match, i'll bring you some glock 17 mags and extensions to use (and can do the same for thurmont uspsa if we both are doing that). you'll have to remind me the nite before.

y'all should sign up for peacemaker's supersteel on sat 26th of memorial day weekend. you get to run around and shoot a bunch of falling steel. pretty good match for a beginner as there aren't a lot of rules, but of course the usual safety rules (keep muzzle generally downrange, and finger clearly and visibly outside the trigger guard while moving, reloading, fixing a jam, etc basically all the time unless you're actually on target). i will be running a squad for both the morning and afternoon matches and am happy to show any newbies the ropes. and i can go over the basics for uspsa and idpa, 3 gun, etc to those that are interested. then that sunday probably thurmont/tcsc uspsa and then back at thurmont again monday for 3 gun!

and lori, if you do the peacemaker match, i'll bring you some glock 17 mags and extensions to use (and can do the same for thurmont uspsa if we both are doing that). you'll have to remind me the nite before.

OH that sounds like SO MUCH FUN!!! I'll see what I'm doing Saturday- where can I get more details? I may be able to come in the AM.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Are you going to be at the Steel Challenge match this Sunday?
    This range is like <1 hr from me (yay)!

best range facility around the DMV for sure, and they have a bunch of different matches every month!

not doing their steel challenge, which is saturday, by the way, not sunday. steel challenge is also a great beginner match, with little to no movement or reloading on the clock, and good practice for getting out of the holster and on target quick. i've done a lot of those matches but like running around more.

best range facility around the DMV for sure, and they have a bunch of different matches every month!

not doing their steel challenge, which is saturday, by the way, not sunday. steel challenge is also a great beginner match, with little to no movement or reloading on the clock, and good practice for getting out of the holster and on target quick. i've done a lot of those matches but like running around more.

Ah; I can't do Saturday (thanks for pointing that out) I'm going to try to make the one on the Memorial Day weekend Saturday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom