• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Hmm, so if I don't remember some of the specifics (like, who owned it previously or the exact date I got it), are they gonna gripe if I leave some parts blank? Anyone have experience with that?

tom b

Oct 2, 2011
    Hmm, so if I don't remember some of the specifics (like, who owned it previously or the exact date I got it), are they gonna gripe if I leave some parts blank? Anyone have experience with that?

I always list the dealer that it was purchased through, and look at the NFA stamp date.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD

Yes, I know... some of the questions on there. "When did the seller have his last bowel movement?"

I fill out what I can and leave it at that. Never had an issue. You have to register the gun, not give them a history and medical report on who you got the gun from! :)

Los

Jan 13, 2013
    Eastern Shore of Maryland
    I had heard somewhere that you could send in a spreadsheet printout with all your machine guns (and all the fields from their form) instead of using their unwieldy paper forms. That would have been a great solution because it would make it easy to print out the list each year. I tried that on a new MG registration and they sent it back, requesting that I use their paper form.

Can anyone provide some insight here? Did I just get an old-school reviewer or do we really have to use their unwieldy forms?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Sent my form in this last Saturday. Now, other than cashing the check, how do I tell it was processed?
    If you sent it requiring a signature, that would have been one way?

It is unclear to me that the MSP has ever followed up on the MG registrations. You want to do it because it's the law and a DQ offense, but it really doesn't seem to be top enforcement priority for them. If anyone has a story to the contrary, I'd love to hear it.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    I have to agree... the law says you must registered the gun with the MD. They ask us to mail it in. We can not control USPS, a Fed Government organization . My letter goes in the mail and I am done with my part and I don't think about it again.

I have my USPS MO slip showing I got one for $10 or CC Authorization. If MSP screws things up... thats not my problem and I have done what is required by law. The law does not require me to make sure MSP does not screw things up of to double check anything. I have to submit my registration and nothing more.

Its a big waste of everyone's F-ing time anyway and I am not going to spend another moment on it past what is required by law.

Los

Jan 13, 2013
    Eastern Shore of Maryland
    I had heard somewhere that you could send in a spreadsheet printout with all your machine guns (and all the fields from their form) instead of using their unwieldy paper forms. That would have been a great solution because it would make it easy to print out the list each year. I tried that on a new MG registration and they sent it back, requesting that I use their paper form.

Can anyone provide some insight here? Did I just get an old-school reviewer or do we really have to use their unwieldy forms?

OK, I decided to answer my own question: according to my conversation with MDSP, you MUST use their own forms. You CANNOT fill in the first page and then attach a spreadsheet with the rest of the data.

Pro tip: download the pdf forms online off of the MDSP website and you'll fill in the data one time and then print it each year. You'll need to download two forms:

MG_Renewal
    Continuation

The MG_Renewal form has spots for four machine guns and the Continuation page is good for another 3 per page.

Here's the link for the forms: http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizati...censingDivision/Registration/MachineGuns.aspx

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    If you sent it requiring a signature, that would have been one way?

It is unclear to me that the MSP has ever followed up on the MG registrations. You want to do it because it's the law and a DQ offense, but it really doesn't seem to be top enforcement priority for them. If anyone has a story to the contrary, I'd love to hear it.

I did get a call from MSP last year on an initial registration that I did. They wanted to verify the SN... the number the Trooper read back to me was incorrect so I read him the number right off the receiver, then I went back and double checked a copy of the initial registration I sent in and it was correct on the form... obviously someone had fat-fingered it when entering (this was after they had closed down the electronic filing system). But at least it proved to me that somewhere a human being has in fact looked at this information.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    BTW, did anyone get a copy of the form mailed to them this year? I just downloaded it from the internet, but it occurred to me that they used to send blank forms out in the mail. If they didn't send any out, I'm sure that is going to facilitate some unintentional non-compliance.... or perhaps that is the plan.

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    No paper forms received, nor any reminders at all. But I WAS able to renew via the online registration web page, and they accepted my payment.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Damn , I wish I had the problem of needing a spreadsheet for all my machine guns .

Sigh , I'm just too young for that one .

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    I just did mine on the MSP website... and it took the money. DONE!

I read this and hopped over to the registration site but found no on-line registration. Can you provide a link that allows on-line registration? i already used the link, from an earlier post, that gets you to the Adobe pdf forms.

THANKS!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom