• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I shot the .22 precision match yesterday at Quantico. That was eye opening. Shots were from 25 to 200 yards with a .22 LR rifle. All position shooting, including a simulated roof and wall. I used the new 10/22 Target rifle I picked up Friday, which helped out. I was originally going to use my 3-gun rifle with the .22 conversion, then I took it out to 100 yards. 8" groups at 100 yards wasn't going to cut it. The 10/22 actually shot very well, but I completely spaced on the wobble while shooting. These are some tiny targets, and my being at 100% health didn't help. They (QPS) will be doing this monthly, from what I've been told. Their Super Steel shoot was cancelled, and this is what's going on in its place. Looks like it's time to game this thing. Maybe get a higher magnification scope and an offset red dot for the close stuff. Time to experiment!

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    peacemaker has one this upcoming saturday, 9th. believe they go out to 300yds. i just got a cz452 and 10x swfa scope to possibly play in this game. have to see how it shoots first.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I spent a few hours last Thursday working on my dope out to 300yds with my CZ455. I was told targets at 300yds will be 4moa I was able to consistently hit a 12" target at 300 so I just need to work up the middle distances. I'm doing the Mayberry shoot on the 23rd. Apparently my rifle prefers cci green tag 40gr. They shot a dime size group at 50yds and had an SD of 10 so that's what I'll be using. The other ammo it liked was Lapua X-Act but CCIs are a lot cheaper. I put my PST Gen ii on the CZ and it's working out well.

bbradshaw21

Jun 14, 2016
    Pikesville
    This is an awesome discipline. I'm new to it this year as well. Are you guys new to this overall or have you shot centerfire PRS style before?

The biggest takeaways I have from the matches I've shot are getting used to shooting in awkward positions and knowing your scope AND dope.

I will be at Mayberry at the end of the month but unfortunately I can't make Peacemaker this weekend.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I'm new to PRS but have been shooting .22s for a long time. I've never competed but have pushed my rifles out to 300yds for fun. I'll be at the Mayberry shoot on the 23rd. Any advice besides knowing my dope? I used a ballistics calculator but it's never accurate for my 22. I am planning on shooting at 25yd increments and getting actual dope and not a calculated one. Istrelok works pretty well for my .308 and 6.5cm but not so much for .22. I'm planning to bring my bipod and rear bag. What positions should I practice? Thanks

bbradshaw21

Jun 14, 2016
    Pikesville
    I'm new to PRS but have been shooting .22s for a long time. I've never competed but have pushed my rifles out to 300yds for fun. I'll be at the Mayberry shoot on the 23rd. Any advice besides knowing my dope? I used a ballistics calculator but it's never accurate for my 22. I am planning on shooting at 25yd increments and getting actual dope and not a calculated one. Istrelok works pretty well for my .308 and 6.5cm but not so much for .22. I'm planning to bring my bipod and rear bag. What positions should I practice? Thanks

wow where to start. getting dope every 25 yards is a good start. if you have a range that you can confirm it that is awesome. i don't chrony and use the box listed fps along with JBM ballistics online. that gave me a drop chart that is close enough for me. luckily the targets are usually pretty forgiving if you have an inherently accurate rifle, you are using match or consistent ammo, and practice good marksmanship fundamentals. this was true for both the first Mayberry match AND Peacemaker. All my misses were my fault, not my dope.

target sizes last time were all over the place, but the farther out you go, the more margin for error they gave us. of course that all could change this time around.

as for positions, obviously prone, kneeling, sitting, standing off hand will all probably come into play. there will be barricades that put you into in between positions and that is where the multitude of bags people have come into play. my suggestion is to watch some youtube videos on PRS barricade shooting to get some tips. don't go out and buy every bag in the world, most everyone there will offer to let you try theirs if you ask.

i have no idea what is in store. these matches change all the time and are at the creativity of the match director. i had no idea what i was doing at the first one and all i can say is just be receptive to any advice the more experienced shooters have to offer. everyone is super friendly and i know there will be some guys there who really know what they are doing.

another is to get comfortable transitioning between multiple targets. there are always stages that have multiple targets and multiple distances. learn your scope and decide if you are going to dial or hold for elevation.

last thing, remember you are on a timer. you may not finish and that is ok. someone at peacemaker told me its better to have slow hits and not finish then have a lot of fast misses and "finish" the stage.

i'm shooting in squad 1, and i've got 3 different bags from Armageddon Gear. Feel free to check them out

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom