Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Competitive Shooting
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old April 12th, 2019, 06:35 PM #41
Appleseed Shoot Boss

Appleseed Shoot Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailtoy View Post
Only 5 signed up for Sanner's Lake this weekend?? The nephew and myself are 2, can we find a few more out there?

Yeah, we had fewer folks signed up - 5 at Sanders and 5 at Annapolis. But more shooting and personal instruction for those that attend! Really looking forward our memorial volley. And the Patriotís Day shirts look amazing as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A Rifleman Persists!
KYFHO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2019, 08:42 AM #42
Appleseed Shoot Boss

Appleseed Shoot Boss

Maryland Project Appleseed 2019

What a great weekend to celebrate our history of marksmanship at the excellent rimfire range at Anne Arundel Fish and Game in Annapolis.

Pictures are available on the Appleseed Maryland Facebook Page.

It started cool and damp both mornings but in both cases improved as the day went on. Saturday was beautiful in the afternoon - 70F and partly sunny. You only get so many perfect days in the mid-Atlantic between the hot humid summers and the damp cold winters, but this was one of them. Sunday started cool and stayed cool - but at 60F and cloudy it was perfect shooting weather for sure.

Saturday's instruction and first two strikes were followed by 2 AQTs - we had three Rifleman requalifiers and two cleared redcoats by day's send. Great job Andy, Sharif, and Jason!

Sunday was even better - folks had a chance to recover and let the lessons sink in. The redcoats and squares showed immediate improvement in group sizes.

Josh, using his own Tippmann Appleseed edition rifle with Troy iron sights, started in the 190s on Saturday and was committed to improving, locking in a lesson in each position, fully engaged in the Rifleman's Dance. His first AQT of Sunday was an agonizing 209 but then he broke through with a 213 and was scoring in the 220s and cleared his Redcoat. He is committed to pushing for his distinguished patch at a future Appleseed. Huzzah!

Jason (also running his own Appleseed edition Tippmann) and Sharif continued to re-qualify in the 230s most of the weekend. Sharif was going for distinguished but ended up with anguished, scoring a 237. Next time!

The instructor corps is most proud of the progress of Joe and Quentin, a beginner father and son combo that progressed a lot.

We struggled on Saturday to get a loaner that would fit 9-year old Quentin trying a semi-auto with a scope, moving to a CZ scout with tech sights, and finally coming back to the first rifle with a smaller youth stock on a rest. The breakthrough was IIT Etervigila coaching him one-on-one, moving the scope back to fix the eye relief, building an improvised foam cheek rest, and finally adding a bipod. After rezero-ing, we had locked in a winning combination and Quentin's scores went up significantly on Sunday. This was his first time even handling a rifle and he received the coveted William Diamond patch.

Joe was putting up very respectable Standing scores but the prone and seated positions and timed courses of fire were new to him and each AQT brought a new challenge. Sometimes a rapid AQT is just what is needed to get someone into the Rifleman's bubble - and boy did it work for Joe! In just four minutes, in his first rapid AQT ever, doing all of the transitions between positions, and using a sub-optimal sling he knocked out a 195 - HUZZAH!!!! On the last AQT he was building a qualifying score but in Stage 4, the rifle wouldn't feed or extract anymore (despite multiple rounds removed from the chamber using a rod by an instructor) and he ran out of time. I hope Joe and Quentin come out again - we would love to build on that.

The shooters learned a lot from the history and conducted an impressive memorial volley in honor of those who sacrificed their lives for our Liberty on April 19th, 1775 - we even had one cleared Redcoat. As we emphasized several times in the Strikes, let us remember that we must honor these people with our civic engagement every day or John Adams will repent in heaven and all the fallen patriots will rise again and devour your souls - ok, only part of that is true, but you get my point and isn't it better not to take the chance?

Thank you to all of our shooters for coming out and working so hard to improve - you make everything worth it. Please come back and bring a friend or two.

Thank you to our red hat ABCGarand for coming out on Saturday and our previously mentioned IIT Etervigila for excellent work on both days. And thanks again to AAFG for hosting - everyone expressed what an ideal range it is and we greatly appreciate your support!

A Rifleman Persists!

Last edited by KYFHO; April 15th, 2019 at 11:01 AM.
Old April 23rd, 2019, 01:40 PM #43

I am putting together a Remington 597 for Rimfire Appleseeds, since I can't use my M&P 15-22 any longer, and have a question for those smarter than I. I would like to use it for a KD event in the future, and I read the recommendation to use a 20 MOA mount at Rimfire KD's. I understand the principle of it, but want to make sure I need it for the 200 yard shots at Sudlersville. My scope is a BSA Sweet 22 and it has 40 MOA of elevation adjustment. Should I still go with a 20 MOA mount?
Bowieite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2019, 04:40 PM #44
Appleseed Shoot Boss

Appleseed Shoot Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowieite View Post
I am putting together a Remington 597 for Rimfire Appleseeds, since I can't use my M&P 15-22 any longer, and have a question for those smarter than I. I would like to use it for a KD event in the future, and I read the recommendation to use a 20 MOA mount at Rimfire KD's. I understand the principle of it, but want to make sure I need it for the 200 yard shots at Sudlersville. My scope is a BSA Sweet 22 and it has 40 MOA of elevation adjustment. Should I still go with a 20 MOA mount?
Well, there are a couple answers to that question. I am sure smarter folks than me can chime in too.

First, consider the ammo and estimated drop at the ranges we will be shooting (from internet sources - dependent on other variables):

CCI Minimag - 50 yard zero
100 yard drop - 5.6 inches
150 yard drop - 20 inches
200 yard drop - 44 inches

CCI Standard Velocity - 50 yard zero
100 yard drop - 7.6 inches
150 yard drop - 26 inches
200 yard drop - 56 inches

It is a lot of drop at 200 yards! So you need a lot of adjustment range.

Second, remember that is 40 MOA of total adjustment - 20 MOA up and 20 MOA down if you are exactly centered, which you mayor may not be. We test - for real, not in a spec sheet - how much total elevation you have and the consistency of your gearing during the event. We have had lower end scopes die when they cannot bottom or top out - they just break.

A 20 MOA mount gives you a lot more flexibility because more of your 40 MOA is used to compensate for drop rather than wasted at the wrong end of elevation.

I think that scope is just a duplex reticle rather than a mil-dot, MOA, or BDC - but you could use the reticle dimensions (in MOA) for additional hold-over using the top of the thick part of the duplex reticle. It makes it a bit harder (cant becomes absolutely critical, as does the accuracy of the reticle measurements) but can be done.

Mainly, we want people to have fun and really learn their equipment rather than get frustrated. If things go South early, you are probably going to have trouble catching up in our experience. And it is a bit of a specialized activity, versus our normal 25 yard rimfire events and specialized equipment helps. But a 20 MOA base is $30-45, so pretty affordable, and it will work at all ranges so you only have to do it one time.

We will also have loaner a couple proven loaner rifles with scopes and 20 MOA bases and a couple with standard bases and BDC reticles.

Hope others submit answers as well.

A Rifleman Persists!
Old April 24th, 2019, 09:26 AM #45

KYFHO, thanks for the info. It was very helpful. I'll be ordering the 20 MOA mount today and hope to be on the line again soon.
Bowieite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2019, 05:09 PM #46
Appleseed Shoot Boss

Appleseed Shoot Boss

Marriottsville, MD AGC May 11-12, 2019

We still have spots on the line open for a 2-day Appleseed clinic at AGC in Marriottsville, May 11-12, 2019.

Both Centerfire and 22 Rimfire rifles are allowed at this event and we had shooters both at a distinguished level (in one case, a perfect 250) on AQTs at our last AGC event in March. AGC is a fantastic range with covered bays for any weather and a sunny, high contrast target line.

Still a little early for a weather forecast, but this Spring has been really pleasant so far with temps in the 60s and 70s. Come Summer, sweaty and with fogging glasses, you may truly regret missing out on the perfect days of April and May.

If you are planning to go to one of our 200-yard rimfire shoots, this is a good time to get confidence in your equipment and 25-yard zero (50-yard zero used for that event is very close to what you use at 25). Remember, you have to have gone to an Appleseed previously to qualify for those events.

And even if you have been to an Appleseed before, we would love to have you on the line!

A Rifleman Persists!
Old May 2nd, 2019, 12:04 PM #47

Location: Escaped from deep behind enemy lines (Maryland), currently in the Gunshine State.

Location: Escaped from deep behind enemy lines (Maryland), currently in the Gunshine State.
Maryland Crew

Glad to hear Sharif got to shoot!

Keep up the great work Maryland Cadre!

Huzzah!

Project Appleseed Rifleman, RWVA Shoot Boss, NRA.

Cold Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2019, 09:59 AM #48
Appleseed Shoot Boss

Appleseed Shoot Boss

Upcoming Appleseed Clinics in May and June

Last call for the 2-day Appleseed clinic at AGC Marriottsville this weekend - more information here. There are still several spots open for this rimfire and centerfire event at an excellent range. The weather should be PERFECT for shooting with highs in the mid-60s and lows in the mid-50s.

If this weekend doesn't work for you, our next clinic will be a 2-day rimfire clinic at AAFG in Annapolis on May 25-26, 2019. It is Memorial Day weekend which means two things: it is a great weekend to celebrate and appreciate the sacrifice made by generations of servicemen to defend the freedoms we enjoy and it means you get Monday off to recover from two glorious days of shooting.

We then get into a busy June, with events in Annapolis and Lexington Park on June 8-9. Only a couple spots left at Sanners for that weekend due to Sea Cadets so if you want to shoot, reserve early. Plenty of room available at Annapolis.

After that we will have our one-day 200-yard rimfire shoot in Sudlersville, MD on June 29, 2019. While this is far out, most of the events sold out last year so I suggest you sign up early and often.

Feel free to post or PM questions. Hope to see you on the line!

A Rifleman Persists!
Old May 16th, 2019, 02:20 AM #49
Appleseed Shoot Boss

Appleseed Shoot Boss

Annapolis, May 25-26

We still have a lot of spots open for our rimfire-only event at AAFG in Annapolis on May 25-26. More info can be found here.

AAFG is a great range for Appleseed clinics - it is covered in case of any inclement weather or excessive sun (is that thing this spring?), tucked away in a quiet area of the range, and has a nice club house for restroom breaks. We will have plenty of loaner mats and gear as needed - just ask.

Hope to see you on the line!

A Rifleman Persists!
Old May 16th, 2019, 02:38 PM #50

Hmm, I may have to come to that one. I will actually be in town.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Competitive Shooting