• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    Hey Guys,

Here's an interesting piece. The Krag had a considerable shorter service life compared to its counterparts produced at Springfield Armory, such as the M1903, M1 Garand, etc.

This was one of the Krags issued to the 26th Infantry Regiment on July 15th 1899. The 26th Infantry Regiment (Blue Spaders). Still serving today.

The list of Krags was found in a folder at the National Archives in Washington DC. The folder in question addressed The Brownsville Affair, which there is a fairly comprehensive story online. In 1906 a shooting occurred in Brownsville, Texas resulting in the death of a bartender. The townspeople blamed the Black Buffalo soldier unit stationed at nearby Fort Brown. Although, the evidence wasn't all that compelling but they were blamed anyways for several decades until later exonerated in the 1970s. Rightfully so! I'd like to point out archival research at NARA helped make that happen.

The Office of Chief of Ordnance during the investigation requested a list of what rifles had been issued to the 25th Infantry Regiment (the one stationed at Fort Brown at the time), but Springfield Armory sent the rifles issued to the 26th Infantry Regiment in a clerical error.

The 26th Infantry saw considerable combat experience during the Phillippine Insurrection. I'm not quite done with this story on the rifle as I need to go back to DC NARA and make some copies of the files on the 26th during their time in the Phillippine and hopefully get some photographs or after action reports.

The rifle is decent shape. The metal is very nice, hasn't been sporterized. The inspection cartouche is no longer present which is unfortunate. The bore is "ok." Shows some shine, dark spots fortunately no serious pitting.

But I got it because Bubba hadn't gotten his hands on it and I liked its story.

Thought I'd share.

I apologize for the lack of quality of photos, I'm playing around in my garage to see how to get the best results when outdoor lighting isn't agreeing with me.

EQUQdOP.jpg

KcivaSF.jpg

HEJ6ngS.jpg

1CX825G.jpg

3ETwYpo.jpg

JxqoM5s.jpg

828n3mP.jpg

UY5g41w.jpg

CLY4m8u.jpg

7XqwhV3.jpg

xw32sBg.jpg

hZ9UPGK.jpg

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    That’s awesome! Hopefully some day I’ll be able to find a documented Springfield or Krag rifle. Unit marked guns are one of my favorites. That’s part of the reason why I like Swiss stuff so much.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    One day I'll have a Krag, just not versed enough in them to risk pulling the trigger. Seems like there are a lot of fakes and bubba's out there.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    One day I'll have a Krag, just not versed enough in them to risk pulling the trigger. Seems like there are a lot of fakes and bubba's out there.

By fakes, if you mean a carbine conversion, yeah.

But that’s why I’d never go for an expensive one. I’d be happy to have a Krag that safely goes bang every time I pull the trigger with a live round in the chamber. If it shoots accurately, even better. Beyond that, not willing to pay for anything other than maybe being in nicer shape.

airbornetrooper

Nov 9, 2017
    VA
    Very cool find. I love the historical connection and supporting evidence that you were able to obtain! Top notch.

On another note, there are far too many Bubba'd Krags out there...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom