• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pittpa

Mar 5, 2016
    SW PA
    If you can identify the crossbow in this story, you might want to consider it. A 14 year-old girl took 2 bucks with one arrow using this bow. Is it a kid's model? I don't know.

https://www.nbc15.com/content/news/...-with-one-arrow-in-Door-County-564672341.html

GREEN BAY, Wis. (WLUK) -- A 14-year-old Green Bay girl had the shot of a lifetime recently while deer hunting just north of Sturgeon Bay. She shot two bucks with just one arrow.

“I did not think I got both of them at first,” said Matiah Christensen, an eighth grade student at St. Bernard Catholic School. “I was like in shock.”

One of the deer, Christensen initially wanted nothing to do with.

“A 3-pointer walked out and we were like 'OK, it's a buck, but it's really small,'” said Christensen. “So, we waited for it to go by.”

More than an hour later, it returned with a few does and an eight-point buck.

“When I had it in aim, I shot and we didn't know if I hit anything because they all ran in different directions,” said Christensen.

Christensen followed a blood trail, only to find the three-pointer she had passed up.

“I was like disappointed because I didn't want to shoot that and that would have been an awful shot if I missed the eight-pointer and got the three-pointer because it was not even close,” said Christensen.

Finding another blood trail, in the opposite direction, Christensen found what she was looking for.

“There was a long blood trail so we figured it must have went through the eight-pointer and deflected off a rib and sliced the three-pointer's neck,” said Christensen.

“You had to see it to believe it,” said John Christensen, Matiah’s father. “You can see how it happened -- and that is two more bucks than I ever shot in my life.”

“People are saying like you hit your peak pretty young and I don't think you're going to be able to top that and stuff, but I'll still keep hunting,” said Matiah.

With just one tag, Christensen kept the eight-pointer. The state Department of Natural Resources let her keep the antlers from the three-pointer and she plans to display both with the arrow she used.

Attachments

• 2bucks.JPG
      2bucks.JPG
      65.6 KB · Views: 310

Veblen

Feb 16, 2018
    MoCo
    Do not rule out low end xbows too quickly. Of course, Ravin and TenPoint are nicer, but more expensive xbows are unnecessary to take deer. What is needed: scouting, proper set, and a steady aim. In my experience, most archery whitetail hunting is within 20 yards (especially in the early season), so you do not need an uber-accurate device.

I cannot justify the price tags of Ravins.

Just my thoughts.

Mag Dump

May 31, 2017
    Frederick, MD Region
    Another vote for an Excalibur. I use them as loaners for students whose archery skills are not where they need to be to ethically hunt. Have had them dropped out of tree stands onto rocks and generally used roughly and abused and never an issue because there is nothing to go wrong on them. They are a stick with a trigger and a string.

There are sexier models out there with many moving parts and pins and axles and cams and all that complexity creates increased chances for failure.

Simple recurve technology is a good thing and the latest models have very fast speeds.

LRoberts

Retired Master General El
    Oct 22, 2017
    SM County
    I currently have a Parker crossbow. Since they are no longer in business, I am in the market for a new crossbow. I have been looking at Tenpoints a lot. What do you guys recommend? I see Ravin seems to have a strong following. Pros and Cons to getting a Ravin or Tenpoint? Thanks in advance.

I like my Foxfire...

LRoberts

Retired Master General El
    Oct 22, 2017
    SM County
    Not sure what happened. They closed shop last December and they only honored warranties to only what already had claims in process when they closed. I shoot Parker and RedHot bolts. Having trouble finding replacement bolts. They seemed to be one of the only manufacturers that used capture knocks. To be honest I just want something from a company that is still in business.

I have a suggestion, get one that uses 20" arrows, instead of bolts. My Foxfire uses capture nocks, too. The arrows sit proud of the bed, so moon nocks won't work for me. Great prices, too. https://tinyurl.com/yj5trwfm I paid $170 for mine 40 years ago. Good luck, let us know.

Jbh

Jul 10, 2019
    I highly recommend Tenpoint. Their customer service is beyond great. I’ve owned two. My first was a 6point Defender. On Oct 2nd I bit the bullet and bought the Nitro XRT! And absolutely love this compact , super powerful deer slayer. The down range kinetic energy combined with the evoX arrows (not bolts ) and broad heads has incredible knock down power. I’d get the Nitro you won’t go wrong.

radial

Nov 23, 2011
    Boyds
    If you can identify the crossbow in this story, you might want to consider it. A 14 year-old girl took 2 bucks with one arrow using this bow. Is it a kid's model? I don't know.arrow she used.

That looks like a Raven. Great crossbows, I own two. Pricey, but worth every penny.

05dodgedaytona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2009
    Cecil County
    I highly recommend Tenpoint. Their customer service is beyond great. I’ve owned two. My first was a 6point Defender. On Oct 2nd I bit the bullet and bought the Nitro XRT! And absolutely love this compact , super powerful deer slayer. The down range kinetic energy combined with the evoX arrows (not bolts ) and broad heads has incredible knock down power. I’d get the Nitro you won’t go wrong.

How do you like the scope that comes with it? I have seen a lot of reviews of people complaining about it.

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    I currently have a Parker crossbow. Since they are no longer in business, I am in the market for a new crossbow. I have been looking at Tenpoints a lot. What do you guys recommend? I see Ravin seems to have a strong following. Pros and Cons to getting a Ravin or Tenpoint? Thanks in advance.

Nice sale price I have the Barnett Whitetail Hunter 2 so can't give you a review of this on
    https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/...fps-18bt2ugmcrshrxxxxabw/18bt2ugmcrshrxxxxabw

S.M.I.B

May 21, 2013
    Calvert County
    I bought a Mission 4 years ago and it has been great. It was a little pricey but I like the feel of it and has an adjustable stock for when the wife wants to go out.

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    I like my ten point turbo. I do love how narrow they are getting but I plan to keep this one until it fails. I need to get it restrung this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom