• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornbakerfella

Oct 6, 2016
    God's Country
    I’ll never understand the fools who decide opening day at 7 AM is a good day to practice target shooting, because there’s no way that they’re shooting at deer.

Definitely some overzealous this morning, probably heard 10 shots between 6am and 620am in the hills and valleys around me

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    I swore off opening day of gun season years ago when it was so foggy and dark, you couldn't literally see your hand in front of your face. Some jackasses let out a string of 6-8 shots right at 30 minutes before sunrise. I may head out Monday.

CaptChaos

MDS Supporter
    Mar 1, 2008
    Calvert County, MD
    Shot at a 4 or so point buck right about 8 AM after a several year drought. I had some pretty good buck fever but his path after the shot was a little erratic. I think his tail was down, and I had a decent view of where he ran and stopped what sounded like just out of view, but then I heard a grunt so that’s worrisome. I’ll get down and look for a blood trail in another 30 minutes or so. Hopefully he’s laying right where I think he might be.

metalman3006

Gun Hoarder
    Sep 6, 2007
    Church Hill, MD
    Does

Attachments

• 10018.jpg
      10018.jpg
      114.2 KB · Views: 296
    • 10017.jpg
      10017.jpg
      145.9 KB · Views: 312

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    I shot a 2 yr old buck with a messed up rack....3 on one side and just a spike on the other.He had an injury (something poked a hole in him in his flank and into back leg,but was too fresh to influence rack growth.Bad genetics I guess. I will lose one hindquarter and one tenderloin because there is some puss going on there. Had two smaller bucks and 4 -6 yearling does and button bucks come by also. Would have shot one of the does if there were any size to them.

CaptChaos

MDS Supporter
    Mar 1, 2008
    Calvert County, MD
    Shot at a 4 or so point buck right about 8 AM after a several year drought. I had some pretty good buck fever but his path after the shot was a little erratic. I think his tail was down, and I had a decent view of where he ran and stopped what sounded like just out of view, but then I heard a grunt so that’s worrisome. I’ll get down and look for a blood trail in another 30 minutes or so. Hopefully he’s laying right where I think he might be.

Spent a good 10 minutes trying to find blood at the site where he was shot and only found one leaf with some drops that were really dry or not blood. I didn’t give up though and spotted the blood trail 10-15 yards away. Had some trouble following it in many spots but then found two spots where he obviously laid down a good 120 or so yards away with pieces of lungs. Shortly after that I lost the blood trail completely but found very small spots here and there and eventually found him. Not a record breaker but it’s the first deer I’ve seen in these woods while hunting in three years. Small rack but I had a hell of a time hanging him up so he’s got some good weight to him.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 981A5FC1-9FAB-4DDB-BED5-7A2FE89FD535.jpg
      981A5FC1-9FAB-4DDB-BED5-7A2FE89FD535.jpg
      224.3 KB · Views: 470

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Spent a good 10 minutes trying to find blood at the site where he was shot and only found one leaf with some drops that were really dry or not blood. I didn’t give up though and spotted the blood trail 10-15 yards away. Had some trouble following it in many spots but then found two spots where he obviously laid down a good 120 or so yards away with pieces of lungs. Shortly after that I lost the blood trail completely but found very small spots here and there and eventually found him. Not a record breaker but it’s the first deer I’ve seen in these woods while hunting in three years. Small rack but I had a hell of a time hanging him up so he’s got some good weight to him.

attachment.php

Congrats for finally getting it done,and kudos for sticking with a hard tracking job.

What did you shoot him with? Where did you hit it?

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    Hunted local this am and nothing good. Came down to my club for afternoon. I hunt a spot frequently for past 4 years have not had any troubles and some awesome deer. Now not sure if adjacent parcel has a new owner but over last several weeks have been trees marked on our side of line. This afternoon walking to stand several more marked now have to walk between two marked trees to get to stand. Have checked HuntStand etc multiple times and easily on club land. Stand not messed with that I can tell, but this guy is way off his line, and do not want to have some crazed person out here to deal with walking into or out of the woods. Also, makes believe this is the reason seeing less deer at this stand than previous years and quality of deer on cam has suddenly dropped off. Pay good money for this lease and long drive.

CaptChaos

MDS Supporter
    Mar 1, 2008
    Calvert County, MD
    Congrats for finally getting it done,and kudos for sticking with a hard tracking job.

What did you shoot him with? Where did you hit it?

Thanks! I shot him with my H&R Slughunter ultralight, chambered in 20 gauge. The best $209 I’ve ever spent! I should’ve bought 5 at the time, funny story about this gun. I bought it at Accurate Guns & Ammo who used to be an Industry Partner here. I had $1300 cash in my pocket to buy an auto loader and the owner talked me into this instead. I was skeptical but now I love it!

He was quartering towards me and I had an opening between some trees. I hit him on the left side further back than I intended and hit the back of the lung, but it did travel through his torso, exited about 6 inches in front of the hind leg and clipped the stomach but not too bad.

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    Thanks! I shot him with my H&R Slughunter ultralight, chambered in 20 gauge. The best $209 I’ve ever spent! I should’ve bought 5 at the time, funny story about this gun. I bought it at Accurate Guns & Ammo who used to be an Industry Partner here. I had $1300 cash in my pocket to buy an auto loader and the owner talked me into this instead. I was skeptical but now I love it!

He was quartering towards me and I had an opening between some trees. I hit him on the left side further back than I intended and hit the back of the lung, but it did travel through his torso, exited about 6 inches in front of the hind leg and clipped the stomach but not too bad.

Those 20ga were awesome and such a great price. Can’t believe they stopped making them.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    What are thoughts for the weather this afternoon in Carroll County. Deer were not out yesterday evening in my area despite the weather coming in. Thinking about hunting late afternoon.... I don’t mind getting me wet, but I’m on the fence about whether the weather will have the deer down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom