• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • First let me say that I only have a couple guns that share calibers ( .22,9,.357,.44 and .223) I've Always had the mentality,"Why buy that when I already one?"

Now the story (as short as possible);Friend is unloading his collection and is giving me a couple different package deals.This package is a CZ527 American .22 Hornet,unsure of date right now (newer though) and a Rem. 788 22-250 1967 manufacture date.

Both have approx. 100 rounds through them,both have a couple extra mags ,4-5 boxes of ammo for each and both have older Bushnell Sportview 3x9.

Does $775 sound reasonable?From some quick checking it seems decent and in his position I'd hate to talk him down.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Sounds fair to me. Love my 527, and if I had another it would probably be in 22 Hornet. Nice bridge cartridge between 22WMR and .223. Figure 40 to 45 bucks each for 527 mags. Probably similar for the 788 mags as a guess.

With ammo and all it is good but I like to bargain with everything I buy.

Same here (barter,horse trade,etc).But this is a tough one;he's 74 and does construction (works like he's 60),wife (57) left him 3 weeks ago for another "friend" we all know 2 weeks before his hernia operation last Wed.,filed for a PO on Thurs. luckily/thankfully not a Red Flag and on and on.....

Sounds fair to me. Love my 527, and if I had another it would probably be in 22 Hornet. Nice bridge cartridge between 22WMR and .223. Figure 40 to 45 bucks each for 527 mags.Probably similar for the 788 mags as a guess.

That's what I've found in the little searching I've done $42-50.

Thanks for all the responses,wasn't really in the market for anything at this time but figured it was more than fair and I'd bet 99% of what he has he bought new and he takes care of everything.

For the record he's selling (to an other friend) S&W 500 8 1/2" with 10-12 boxes of ammo,50 rds through it,$800.I know that's a hell of a deal.

Attachments

• 0721191610_2.jpg
      0721191610_2.jpg
      60.8 KB · Views: 297
    Now since I'm new to this cartridge the next question is for a scope recommendation,more about magnification than brand right now.Barrel is 1:14 and from what I gather 50-55 gr is ideal.We all know how the internet is and I see claims of .5" @ 300 yds factory ammo and others claiming a best of 1.5 @ 300 with handloads.I'd believe the MDS crowd before anyone else.

So back to my original question,scopes.Is 3x9 sufficient or am I better with 4x12,5x20.I have purposely left out my intentions with it (because I don't really know yet :lol2:) just looking to utilize the potential of the cartridge at this time.

Sorry for all the noob questions,maybe I'll get lucky and e.shell will chime in and we can delete this thread.:D

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Now since I'm new to this cartridge the next question is for a scope recommendation,more about magnification than brand right now.Barrel is 1:14 and from what I gather 50-55 gr is ideal.We all know how the internet is and I see claims of .5" @ 300 yds factory ammo and others claiming a best of 1.5 @ 300 with handloads.I'd believe the MDS crowd before anyone else.

So back to my original question,scopes.Is 3x9 sufficient or am I better with 4x12,5x20.I have purposely left out my intentions with it (because I don't really know yet :lol2:) just looking to utilize the potential of the cartridge at this time.

Sorry for all the noob questions,maybe I'll get lucky and e.shell will chime in and we can delete this thread.:D

Well sir, I'm certainly not E. Shell. But I sure do like the .22-250 cartridge.

I think you'll find that your 14 twist will do fine with 55 grain bullets, but may prove to perform even better with bullets in the 40-52 grain range. Sighted at 1.6 inches high at 100 yards with a 50 grain bullet at 3700fps, you'll be within 2 inches high or low versus point of aim out to about 285 yards. Yeah, the cartridge is indeed pretty flat, and is capable of being pretty darned precise as well.

You mention not knowing what you want to do with that rifle. TO ME, what you have is a darned good varmint cartridge. Price range is an unknown here, as you didn't mention. But I'd be looking for good glass in something like a 4.5x14, a 4x16, or a 5x20, or a 6.5x20 or thereabouts. And definitely a good bipod.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge

I have seen a lot of people say that the 55gr was great for them in a 1 in 14 barrel. But, for me it was horrible in my Remington 700.

A 40gr Vmax load wound up putting out groups that I couldn't believe. I can dig up the load recipe if you are going to be loading for them.

I had a couple left handed 788's that I wound up getting rid of a couple few years ago. They were great, accurate rifles but turned out to not be what I was looking for after I bought them.

I do wish I had kept one of them though. :sad20:

firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    If memory serves me correctly, I believe I paid around 600 for my 527 in 221 fireball. Great shooting rifle by the way.

I’d say that’s a solid deal.

I have a Leupold vx2 3-9 on the cz and it’s a handy little yote stalking rig.

PoPo3

Oct 26, 2009
    Hagerstown, MD
    If you are looking for a good powder and load, H380 is a good starting point (38.0 grains and a 52 grain bullet....neat story behind the powder name).

Lanceman_1

Jul 14, 2011
    My 788 in 22-250 will shoot anything I feed it and will ring 6" steel at 400 yards all day. I love that gun :)

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    The Remington 788 has an outstanding reputation...pretty amazing considering it was originally intended as a low buck entry level rifle. Too bad they're so expensive now but that really depends whether you're a buyer or a seller.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom