• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Also of note, looks like the broken/lost "assault weapon" replacement bill is getting an unfavorable report from Judicial Proceedings.

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frmMain.aspx?pid=billpage&stab=03&id=sb0706&tab=subject3&ys=2019RS

That sucks, because that would make me breath easier about somebody breaking into my safes or me breaking a lower while out shooting. Guess we cannot win them all.

While I saw that the ghost gun bill introduced by Benson is getting an unfavorable, is that the same ghost gun bill that Dumais introduced? I don't think it is.

I would like to see four bills die a horrible death. Probably others I should be watching too, but the ones I have been watching rather closely are:

SB0737

HB0612

HB1343 - almost do not care about this one anymore since Schipperke has told me that the MSP pretty much appeals any CCW approval at the HPRB level to the Office of Administrative Hearings. So, looks like every case is headed to OAH anyway. At this point, I wish I had not spent resources on trying to shoot this one down. Anybody have a good reason why the HPRB should be kept in place if everything gets appealed to OAH anyway?

HB0740

Malleovic

Apr 21, 2017
    Maryland
    While I saw that the ghost gun bill introduced by Benson is getting an unfavorable, is that the same ghost gun bill that Dumais introduced? I don't think it is.

You are correct- it's not the same bill. Both Dumais' and Smith's (senate counterpart) are still up and haven't moved since the hearing.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    HB1343 - almost do not care about this one anymore since Schipperke has told me that the MSP pretty much appeals any CCW approval at the HPRB level to the Office of Administrative Hearings. So, looks like every case is headed to OAH anyway. At this point, I wish I had not spent resources on trying to shoot this one down. Anybody have a good reason why the HPRB should be kept in place if everything gets appealed to OAH anyway?

Simple. The HPRB is the ONLY civilian oversight of the MSP left. That count's for a LOT in a Constitutional society. Remove that and you have a Police State. Like NJ.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Simple. The HPRB is the ONLY civilian oversight of the MSP left. That count's for a LOT in a Constitutional society. Remove that and you have a Police State. Like NJ.

What is the level of civilian oversight in place if MSP gets to appeal the HPRB decision as a matter of right, and then get a trial de novo? What is that level of oversight when the MSP pretty much appeals each and every HPRB decision that overturns the MSP decision? It just seems like a lot of wasted time going to a HPRB hearing when the HPRB decision is not going to matter one bit. Ultimately, the case is going to OAH. So, why spend time and energy at the HPRB level if the case is going to go to OAH should you prevail at the HPRB level and the MSP gets to make its argument all over again in front of a OAH judge?

Is it so one can feel good about "civilian oversight" when there really is no "civilian oversight" since everything ends up at OAH anyway?

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Because the not every HPRB "adverse" ruling is going to be appealed, and eventually the LD will get tired of having their officers tied up in OAD proceedings. That takes time away from their infringement duties.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Because the not every HPRB "adverse" ruling is going to be appealed, and eventually the LD will get tired of having their officers tied up in OAD proceedings. That takes time away from their infringement duties.

Appealing to the OAH is part of their infringement duties. Plus, just more justification for overtime, additional officers, etc. It is job security for them for sure to have to spend time at the HPRB hearing and then the OAH hearing, on almost everything.

If Hogan is replaced with a Democrat, do you really think the liberal Governor would not appeal each and every ruling of the HPRB that is adverse to MSP? Then, what is the chance that we get another "conservative" Governor in the next election.

Still have not convinced me that the HPRB actually does anything for us when any ruling adverse to the MSP initial decision ends up at OAH.

jefflac02

Dec 28, 2016
    Just an observation: Rifles seem to be flying off the shelves. Shelves and racks look like they need some restocking.

I think we have Delegate Dumbass to thank for this, if true.

Dems are the best gun salespeople. I swear it’s like they want us better armed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Looks like a bunch of these are up for hearings today. We'll see what movement happens on them pretty soon.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Smokey,

Thanks for doing all the work creating and updating the list!

You are the "Man"! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

{unless you identify otherwise, then you are the "Otherwise"!} :innocent0

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    There is a really good spreadsheet layout of all this stuff on the Maryland State Rifle and Pistol Association ("MSRPA") website. Doherty, or whomever put it together, is doing a pretty good job with it.

https://www.msrpa.org/2019-maryland-general-assembly-bill-tracker/

It is what I have been using to keep track of everything, and it lets you know MSRPA's position on the bills.

It has a "link" on the bottom of the chart for House Gun Bills, Senate Gun Bills, House Hunting Bills, and Senate Hunting Bills.

Not trying to take away from what Smokey has done here, because it has taken a crap ton of effort on his part and it is worth a couple of free beers at the minimum. Just providing another resource for those that like spreadsheets colored in orange, pink, red, etc.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    There is a really good spreadsheet layout of all this stuff on the Maryland State Rifle and Pistol Association ("MSRPA") website. Doherty, or whomever put it together, is doing a pretty good job with it.

https://www.msrpa.org/2019-maryland-general-assembly-bill-tracker/

It is what I have been using to keep track of everything, and it lets you know MSRPA's position on the bills.

It has a "link" on the bottom of the chart for House Gun Bills, Senate Gun Bills, House Hunting Bills, and Senate Hunting Bills.

Not trying to take away from what Smokey has done here, because it has taken a crap ton of effort on his part and it is worth a couple of free beers at the minimum. Just providing another resource for those that like spreadsheets colored in orange, pink, red, etc.

Thanks fabs. I've use that link a bunch to try to keep this one updated. Now that everything's up, I can pretty much just click the links and check the history. A quick rundown and the updates go fairly smooth. Thanks for the kind words and for adding the helpful link.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Smokey,

Thanks for doing all the work creating and updating the list!

You are the "Man"! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

{unless you identify otherwise, then you are the "Otherwise"!} :innocent0
    I identify as the first heterosapien. I'm that normie cisgendered.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    looks like 346 will get passed out of committee tonight

I can't find it on the tracker. Which one is this?

Eta: my mistake. Wasn't looking in the right place. From your OP ...

SB-346 Senator Ferguson. Passed Senate 3-14-19 likely to pass house judiciary on 3-27-19

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/web...t3&id=sb0346&stab=01&ys=2019RS

Providing that, for certain purposes relating to the transfer of a firearm, the term "transfer" includes a loan other than a temporary gratuitous exchange of a regulated firearm between two individuals who remain in the same location for the duration of the exchange.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    113 will pass. We amended it today in subcommittee. It moves us to electronic payments but doesn't give full control to msp, says they have to accept credit cards and other electronic payments. Sen Hough was adamant that accepting checks has been a nightmare and msp loses checks and it takes way longer which screws up people's applications.

114, 97, and 287 probably wont move. 622 could go either way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom