• Status
    Not open for further replies.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    But unlike a bump stock, I don't believe that a homemade firearm can be transferred or sold. How would a total ban stand without compensation?

They can be transferred and sold if you put a serial number on them.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    But unlike a bump stock, I don't believe that a homemade firearm can be transferred or sold. How would a total ban stand without compensation?

Didn't we just have a court opinion on this matter regarding the Takings Clause. Not only that, but we have the ATF changing its position on bumpstocks and making them illegal as of some date this year. People that own bumpstocks cannot sell them in the US unless they find a real moron. So, the ATF is advising them to cut them in half to render them useless.

How is the ATF compensating anybody for this? Answer: It isn't. Lots of people are going to be out a bumpstock or three without any compensation whatsoever. That, or they are going to become a criminal overnight by merely continuing to possess them after the deadline comes and goes.

I have not read the bill yet, but my guess is that there is an outright ban without any grandfathering unless the firearm was made before 1968. So, I am probably going to buy a couple of 80% frames anyway and just hold onto them in case they are really, really, really needed one day and I no longer care about the possibility of being charged with the crime.

Of course, I am hoping that this bill does not pass either. This really is just too much this session. Just too much.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    This bill has a lot of co-sponsors.

I don't think 80% need serial number if sold by an individual, only a manufacturer in the business - yes/no?

Too expensive to become FFL07 which usually requires ITAR...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    This bill has a lot of co-sponsors.

I don't think 80% need serial number if sold by an individual, only a manufacturer in the business - yes/no?

Too expensive to become FFL07 which usually requires ITAR...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

No. They NEED a serial number to transfer them. In

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Didn't we just have a court opinion on this matter regarding the Takings Clause. Not only that, but we have the ATF changing its position on bumpstocks and making them illegal as of some date this year. People that own bumpstocks cannot sell them in the US unless they find a real moron. So, the ATF is advising them to cut them in half to render them useless.

How is the ATF compensating anybody for this? Answer: It isn't. Lots of people are going to be out a bumpstock or three without any compensation whatsoever. That, or they are going to become a criminal overnight by merely continuing to possess them after the deadline comes and goes.

I have not read the bill yet, but my guess is that there is an outright ban without any grandfathering unless the firearm was made before 1968. So, I am probably going to buy a couple of 80% frames anyway and just hold onto them in case they are really, really, really needed one day and I no longer care about the possibility of being charged with the crime.

Of course, I am hoping that this bill does not pass either. This really is just too much this session. Just too much.

The bill as written wont ban 80%. It will ban the Ghost Gunner machines, it’ll ban 3D printing of firearms and it’ll ban any firearm that is home manufactured using CnC machine (or anything computer aided). What to me is unclear is if at ANY point that 80% touched a CnC machine if you would be in violation of the law. Up until you start completing an 80% it isn’t a firearm under the law. Once you start to finish it, you are at THAT point, manufacturing a firearm.

I could make 80%s all day long and I am NOT a firearm manufacturer nor am I manufacturing a firearm. It takes someone taking that 80% and starting the final steps before the ATF considers it fabrication.

So likely most people with 80%s they built in to a firearm in MD are okay. The ones that used a Ghost Gunner are no go.

For example, a Glock 17 Polymer 80 AFAIK the entire frame is from a plastic mold. The end manufacturer drills what holes there are in it, not Polymer 80. None of it is machined. The locking block and for later versions of the Polymer 80, the rear rail block aren’t integral to it being considered a firearm AFAIK and I am pretty confident of that (absolutely confident enough to be sure I am not violating this new law) (and for all I know, the locking block and rear rail block aren’t finished on a CnC anyway).

I am pretty sure similar on most other 80%. They are cast or molded and most/all actual machining is by the end user. At most there MIGHT be one or two things drilled out by the 80% maker, but highly doubtful that would be CnC work.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    The bill as written wont ban 80%. It will ban the Ghost Gunner machines, it’ll ban 3D printing of firearms and it’ll ban any firearm that is home manufactured using CnC machine (or anything computer aided). What to me is unclear is if at ANY point that 80% touched a CnC machine if you would be in violation of the law. Up until you start completing an 80% it isn’t a firearm under the law. Once you start to finish it, you are at THAT point, manufacturing a firearm.

I could make 80%s all day long and I am NOT a firearm manufacturer nor am I manufacturing a firearm. It takes someone taking that 80% and starting the final steps before the ATF considers it fabrication.

So likely most people with 80%s they built in to a firearm in MD are okay. The ones that used a Ghost Gunner are no go.

For example, a Glock 17 Polymer 80 AFAIK the entire frame is from a plastic mold. The end manufacturer drills what holes there are in it, not Polymer 80. None of it is machined. The locking block and for later versions of the Polymer 80, the rear rail block aren’t integral to it being considered a firearm AFAIK and I am pretty confident of that (absolutely confident enough to be sure I am not violating this new law) (and for all I know, the locking block and rear rail block aren’t finished on a CnC anyway).

I am pretty sure similar on most other 80%. They are cast or molded and most/all actual machining is by the end user. At most there MIGHT be one or two things drilled out by the 80% maker, but highly doubtful that would be CnC work.

What makes you say that? It looks like the bill itself isn't available yet. Just going by the synopsis it doesn't say anything about how it is completed. Any gun without a serial number from a licensed manufacturer is banned.

"Prohibiting a person from transporting into the State or manufacturing, possessing, selling, offering to sell, transferring, purchasing, or receiving a firearm manufactured after 1968 that is not imprinted with a serial number issued by a federally licensed firearms manufacturer or importer; and establishing penalties of up to 5 years imprisonment or a fine of up to $5,000, or both for violations of the Act."

benton0311

Feb 26, 2011

I think you're looking at the original 3D printer bill in the Senate from Sen. Benson. There is another bill in the House that isn't up for viewing yet put forth by Dumais early this morning that bans the possession of any firearm that doesn't have a serial number issued by a federally licensed manufacturer or importer. The synopsis reads "possession". We won't know what's in the bill until it is posted online to see if there's a clause that allows an ex post facto exemption.

Lucca1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 9, 2013
    Behind Enemy Lines
    They can be transferred and sold if you put a serial number on them.

Ok, thanks. I missed that detail.

Understood, but that is comparing an accessory to a firearm (once completed ). Once the 80% is completed, why would it not be protected by the 2nd? Not arguing, just trying to understand.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    so how does the govt know that the gun you have was "made" by the means above or before the grandfathered period.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    so how does the govt know that the gun you have was "made" by the means above or before the grandfathered period.

because it won't have a serial number from a manufacturer. And if it did have a serial number it would be a registered gun in md. Also there is no grandfathered period.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County

We haven't seen the text of the bill yet, so it's a stretch to even think it will have grandfathering language. And even if Dumais found a spark of warmth in her cold heart and allowed grandfathered guns, the law could put the burden of proof of date on the defendant by making grandfathering an affirmative defense against a posession charge.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Ok, thanks. I missed that detail.

Understood, but that is comparing an accessory to a firearm (once completed ). Once the 80% is completed, why would it not be protected by the 2nd? Not arguing, just trying to understand.

Yes, that is the difference. However, it isn't a Taking Clause argument. In other words, you cannot argue that they cannot do this because we are not being compensated for the firearms we have built with our own hands over the years. The argument is that they cannot do this because this flies in the face of the 2nd Amendment and deprives us of our 2nd Amendment Right, not that we are not being compensated for what they are making illegal and therefore what we must destroy as a result. Huge difference between winning and losing. Not sure that the 2nd Amendment argument was made in the rapid fire trigger device case, but I did not read the Complaint, Motions, briefs, discovery, etc in that case. Maybe they did make the argument that these rapid fire trigger devices were integral to the firearms themselves and banning them was essentially a direct infringement on our 2nd Amendment Right. I'll have to read the opinion again.

Just don't mix up the Takings Clause argument, which is a loser for sure at the US District Court of Maryland level, with the 2nd Amendment infringement argument.

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    It's about POWER!

:thumbsup:

There are people in the USA who want to do things that they know they can only do if the People are unarmed. Of course those people will always have armed employees who are willing to do their dirty work. It isn't the guns, it is who has control of the guns that matters.:tinfoil2:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I think you're looking at the original 3D printer bill in the Senate from Sen. Benson. There is another bill in the House that isn't up for viewing yet put forth by Dumais early this morning that bans the possession of any firearm that doesn't have a serial number issued by a federally licensed manufacturer or importer. The synopsis reads "possession". We won't know what's in the bill until it is posted online to see if there's a clause that allows an ex post facto exemption.

Crap. Another knew one?!?

I was thinking of the original. I know that “ghost guns” are the Dems hot topic this session. I guess they want to go whole hog in stamping out what isn’t a problem and likely won’t stop a single violent crime.

I am fighting all of these tooth and nail, but this one I have little hope. I ordered a stripped frame for my gen 3 at lunch. If the bill passes, I’ll smash my 80% and move all of the parts to my serialized frame. I don’t want to wait till the 11th hour when $150 is cheap insurance now. I may get another 80% frame if/before the law goes in to effect and leave it as an 80% in case the law gets struck down or I move out of this hell hole or some crazy end of the world scenario.

Lucca1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 9, 2013
    Behind Enemy Lines
    Yes, that is the difference. However, it isn't a Taking Clause argument. In other words, you cannot argue that they cannot do this because we are not being compensated for the firearms we have built with our own hands over the years. The argument is that they cannot do this because this flies in the face of the 2nd Amendment and deprives us of our 2nd Amendment Right, not that we are not being compensated for what they are making illegal and therefore what we must destroy as a result. Huge difference between winning and losing. Not sure that the 2nd Amendment argument was made in the rapid fire trigger device case, but I did not read the Complaint, Motions, briefs, discovery, etc in that case. Maybe they did make the argument that these rapid fire trigger devices were integral to the firearms themselves and banning them was essentially a direct infringement on our 2nd Amendment Right. I'll have to read the opinion again.

Just don't mix up the Takings Clause argument, which is a loser for sure at the US District Court of Maryland level, with the 2nd Amendment infringement argument.

Thank you!

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    We haven't seen the text of the bill yet, so it's a stretch to even think it will have grandfathering language. And even if Dumais found a spark of warmth in her cold heart and allowed grandfathered guns, the law could put the burden of proof of date on the defendant by making grandfathering an affirmative defense against a posession charge.

If there was any kind of grandfathering it would only be with mandatory registration. And she and many others are completely anti-gun. They don’t give a fig for public safety. If their concern is about unregistered guns (which is stupid) they would just mandate registration if you home build something. Crap, CA does that now.

No, I am sure it is going to ban them based on that language in the summary that it has to have an FFL manufacturer or importer serial number.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    No grandfathering. No surprise.

Yep, that is about as heinous as it could be. Going to order several 80's and the tools/parts to complete them, and then put them all in a time capsule should there really be a SHTF scenario where daily survival is my biggest worry and there is nobody around to even think about laws, much less arrest/imprison me.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom