Current US Military Rifles; Still Three Round Burst?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I ran into someone who is telling me that most current US Military rifles are three round bursts and not full auto. Is that true? I thought we went away from the three round burst mode.

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    I ran into someone who is telling me that most current US Military rifles are three round bursts and not full auto. Is that true? I thought we went away from the three round burst mode.
    Been a while but last M4 issued to me in Iraq was 3rd burst in Select Fire.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Been almost ten years but our m4 carbines were 3rd burst. We had a pair of gau carbines that were full auto in our armory but they were never issued and rarely fired.

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    Always wondered if it was real, and if so, how it works?
    Basic description

Burst system has a camming system. When select fire selected and the trigger pulled the disconnector is prevented from engaging hammer by cam on selector. When the hammer cocked again the cam rotates, on third rotation of cam it does not stop the disconnector from engaging Hammer.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

CATMdude

I like turtles
    Dec 29, 2012
    Frederick
    It's been awhile (14 years) but my last M4 that I was issued in the Air Force was burst. No clue what MOST in the military actually are but burst is definitely in use.

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    My take on it...… The three round burst and full auto have their pros and cons. Full Auto on a M-16 is not really controllable (seems to always fire up and to the left), it can suppress a point, but eats ammo like there is no tomorrow. The three round burst is more controllable, runs through ammo less. But is not as affective when engaging a fairly compact group of people as full auto, nor is as intimidating. But I believe the trend is now to go back to the full auto setting.

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    I qualified on an M4 with 3rd burst and Aimpoint before I left for Korea. We qualified on M16A2s in basic with 3rd burst, only shot semi though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom