• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    Does anyone have any record of the US military using Winchester model 69-A for anything? I am currently working on one for a coworker and I just finished completely taking it apart and I noticed on the left side of the receiver right by the rear sight mount what looks to be the ordnance proof mark.
    c12d7d1ac95f8a7eb1ae1b0020bbdb99.jpg

c6289801d7269561650088418b1c8e64.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    From this link: https://www.militaryfactory.com/smallarms/detail.asp?smallarms_id=1105

The Model 69 was only ever intended as a hunting / sporting rifle but was pressed into limited service during World War 2 (1939-1945). It was cast as a weapon for British Home Guard units and used in training for a time. After the Fall of France in June 1940, Britain stood alone against the might of the German war machine and an invasion of Britain was imminent. While the Model 69 lacked true military value it offered valuable training exposure and served as a vital psychological instrument during a time when all hope seemed lost. Some were rigged with tactical accessories such as sound suppressors and ammunition pouches in addition to their scopes and shoulder straps. Luckily for the Home Guard, the invasion of Britain never took place and the guns were never pressed into frontline duty.”

I imagine the ordnance stamp was there for processing through the WWII era to send to the British.

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    From this link: https://www.militaryfactory.com/smallarms/detail.asp?smallarms_id=1105

The Model 69 was only ever intended as a hunting / sporting rifle but was pressed into limited service during World War 2 (1939-1945). It was cast as a weapon for British Home Guard units and used in training for a time. After the Fall of France in June 1940, Britain stood alone against the might of the German war machine and an invasion of Britain was imminent. While the Model 69 lacked true military value it offered valuable training exposure and served as a vital psychological instrument during a time when all hope seemed lost. Some were rigged with tactical accessories such as sound suppressors and ammunition pouches in addition to their scopes and shoulder straps. Luckily for the Home Guard, the invasion of Britain never took place and the guns were never pressed into frontline duty.”

I imagine the ordnance stamp was there for processing through the WWII era to send to the British.

Any idea how to know if it went to the brits?

Jul 1, 2012
    The two on the barrel and receiver look like standard Winchester proofs.
    The other 2 small ones are probably Winchester assembly/inspector marks.

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    I just looked around some more, I’m going to have to check the markings again. I’m not sure what the CSG is but I’d be very interested in finding out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom