• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Looking for a good gunsmith (prefer local if possible, but willing to ship if necessary).

I own an STI 2011 Executive (Edge) and am looking to add a frame mounted red dot sight to it. I know very little about this stuff and really have no idea what sight or mount to use. All I do know is that I want a frame mounted red dot. It is also important to me that the gun will still look good/nice/professionally done if I were to decide to remove the mount and use the iron sights.

I can't find too many youtube.com videos, but I did stumble across this. Not sure how crazy I am about holes on both sides of the frame, but you get the idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLnCmN0UaB8

https://dawsonprecision.com/sti-scope-mount-for-c-more-rts-1-cheely/

https://benstoegerproshop.com/limcat-custom-2011-red-dot-optic-mount-for-c-more-rts2/

Attachments

• 51i9x913i3.jpeg
      51i9x913i3.jpeg
      129.8 KB · Views: 386

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Drilling holes through the frame is pretty much the way you do this, unfortunately.

The go-to guy for 1911 work in this state used to be John Carduner / trikshot (1911 Precision; johncarduner@verizon.net). I don't know if he's still in the business anymore, but it can't hurt to ask.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    ... All I do know is that I want a frame mounted red dot....

...It is also important to me that the gun will still look good/nice/professionally done if I were to decide to remove the mount and use the iron sights.[/url]

https://benstoegerproshop.com/limcat-custom-2011-red-dot-optic-mount-for-c-more-rts2/

Exquisite gun, congrats!

If you’re dead-set intent on going frame mounted you’re gonna have to find a way to view MULTIPLE HOLES in the frame as good/nice/professionally done if you decide to remove the mount ... “holes is holes” , even if you $hell out the money for cu$tom “screw plugs” to fill the holes, if you decide to remove the mount.

If” and “decide to remove the mount” usually don’t go / often lead to regret with frame mounts ... and personally why I’ve always wound up going with slide optics ... with everything from Bullseye to USPSA.

All that said, I would inquire of STI if they install frame mounts for customer-owners simply because if anyone already has “screw plugs” made up to match the frame steel, they will.

I don’t see how I’d achieve “look good/nice/professionally done” without blind screws to fill those holes - - that match the frame steel

Best of success! :party29:

gmharle

MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Millers, MD
    Keep in mind also that once you put on the frame mount that it is going to be tough to rack that slide fast without going to a slide racker handle in the rear sight dovetail. Also the draw and presentation is way different between the dot and irons when you frame mount since it is soo much higher. Might take some time readjusting switching back and forth. I planned to do the same when I built mine until I shot a frame mount gun and really struggled with the height of the frame mount dot. I decided on slide mount.

You are welcome to shoot my slide ride 2011 any time if you want for research purposes.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Keep in mind also that once you put on the frame mount that it is going to be tough to rack that slide fast without going to a slide racker handle in the rear sight dovetail. Also the draw and presentation is way different between the dot and irons when you frame mount since it is soo much higher. Might take some time readjusting switching back and forth. I planned to do the same when I built mine until I shot a frame mount gun and really struggled with the height of the frame mount dot. I decided on slide mount.

You are welcome to shoot my slide ride 2011 any time if you want for research purposes.

Good info and things to think about.

I don't really plan to switch "back and forth", but do not want to be stuck with the setup if I do not like it. Did you have your slide milled or did it come like that from the manufacturer? Are you able to remove your red dot and use your factory irons if you choose.

I would love to try your gun.

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    Good info and things to think about.

I don't really plan to switch "back and forth", but do not want to be stuck with the setup if I do not like it. Did you have your slide milled or did it come like that from the manufacturer? Are you able to remove your red dot and use your factory irons if you choose.

I would love to try your gun.

I have a DVC limited with factory milled slide. I have a Trijicon RMR on it. I like it but not competing yet so can’t comment on that. I can take it off and put the cover back on and return it to factory presentation. The irons are present for co witness with RMR installed.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    STI will mill the slide. I look into it a while back. But that Edge is just plain gorgeous as is. If were mine, I wouldn't go with a frame mount and ruin the the way that looks.

gmharle

MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Millers, MD
    I bought a slide that was already milled. It was always going to be just a dot and there isn't even a front sight on it. I have another limited gun to use for irons.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Personal opinion, but if you want to put a dot on a 2011 and it's not for carry, you should put a frame-mounted dot and a racker on it. I am biased because a 2011 with a slide-mounted optic still isn't Carry Optics legal for USPSA (it would be for IDPA, I think), but I just don't see a milled slide as retaining value in a race gun. (The new hotness, incidentally, is frame-mounting a Holosun HS510C or Romeo3.)

Last edited:

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    That's a pretty gun. Don't mill/drill it. Buy a dvc open and sell this one to me.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    I emailed John. Thank you.

Anybody here use this fellow in the past?

Many times. He performed the same service on one of my Springfields, and the work was excellent. I think he sends the milling and machining out, and does all the fine tuning in house. He is not just good, but probably the best 1911/pistol smith around. Super nice guy to work with, and his dedication to perfection is amazing.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    what caliber is it? do you want to shoot uspsa or anything else with it, and if so, what division(s)?

if you just want to try out a dot, you can get a mount that slips in the dovetail rear sight channel. if you wanted to preserve, could get a 2nd slide and have that milled for a dot.

the frame mounts are typically 5 small holes drilled. i'm sure someone really good could fill them back in and blend them in/out.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County

I spoke to a gunsmith in PA today who does a lot of 1911/2011 work. I asked him about installing a frame mounted optic and he talked me out of it. He said that frame mounted optics are slowly disappearing. I also called Dawson precision and they said the same thing. In fact, Dawson stopped making and selling frame mounts.

So, I think I may try this dovetail mount. Just need to figure out what optic I want to put on it.

Suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom