• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • russ498

Feb 8, 2021
    Pasadena, MD 21122
    I am getting back into reloading. I had a Dillon 650 many years ago and sold it. I have been debating between the new RL1100 and the XL750. I am not an extremely high volume shooter, but I would rather buy the best once, and deal with fewer hiccups and regrets. Any advise before I write the (huge) check.

Reloader

Ultimate Member
    Oct 23, 2007
    Arnold, MD
    I've been considering the same ever since I stopped in at Maryland Reload R to pick up some powder and seen them on display. I wonder how available they are at this time.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Backorder through Dillon. They have not changed their prices. Or call the good folks at either maryland reloader or rsp gun shop.

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    The XL750 is an improved 650 so if you liked your 650, go with that. You can check out Dillon reloader forums as used machines sell briskly and Dillon will honor the lifetime warranty even if you buy the machine from someone else.

I have a Dillon 550B that I bought when I realized I did not like a single stage press and wanted to keep my stuff set up. I wanted two competing options: ability to load precision rounds and be able to do volume for plinking as desired. So I opted for the manual progressive that allows me to set up for different needs. I've been very happy with it. Right now it is set up with a toolhead with a decapping die and I'm running brass through it for case preparation. I like being able to switch back to loading by swapping the toolheads on my bench and control the rate of loading. I generally throw powder charges from an automatic thrower so my powder dies have funnels on them.

The Dillons are the high end of presses. Dillon has replaced powder funnels I received with corrosion on their surfaces no questions asked. Even in the pandemic I ordered parts to add to my machine and they shipped within a week even though everything showed backordered. I got caliber conversion kits, bullet tray and tools inside of two weeks. I order a set of .223 carbide dies and even though they said a couple of months they've apparently shipped and I'll have them in a few days.

Get the press you like. I think an RL1100 is overkill unless you're Georgia Arms as that is really intended for high volume loading as an ammo factory. The 750 is the most versatile and you won't be unhappy with it. Nothing has changed except some model numbers. Service has remained the same. My only regret was not buying what I really wanted out of the gate. Would have saved myself some frustration in the reloading experience.

Matt

radnor

Jan 31, 2010
    Delaware
    Personally, I had the 550B for years. VERY happy with the machine.

Have a bit of cash ready, going for the 1100. My thought has always been, buy ONCE cry ONCE.

Have the GTM for trimming 223 brass to the tune of $400.00 at the time.... (BOCO).

GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri
    I have 2 Dillon 550’s. I got one 20+ years ago, and have ridden it hard. Never let me down. Got the second (partially complete) a year or two ago for a deal. Dillon replaced all the missing parts except the powder measure, but I had 2 of them anyway. Now I have one set up for small primers and one for large primers. It’s nice not having to swap out the primer setup when I swap between .45acp and 9mm or between .357 and .44

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    For primer setup on my 650, I got a second complete primer unit. So two bolts to swap the primer feed, and swap the primer punch and I am good to go.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    For primer setup on my 650, I got a second complete primer unit. So two bolts to swap the primer feed, and swap the primer punch and I am good to go.

I need to do the same. Getting the primer feed setup right on my 550B is the most fiddly and frustrating aspect of switching calibers, far more than adjusting for powder drop or bullet seating depth. On the progressive press, all of my experience is .45 acp and .45 Colt, then switching to .38/.357/9mm. Since I have multiple tool-heads with dedicated powder drops, the switch between calibers is easy.

JoeR

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I forget how I decided to do this. I think that maybe the Dillon rep suggested this.

Kirkster

Jan 9, 2009
    Severn, PRoMD
    I also have a complete second primer system for large primers and swap them between .45/308 and 9mm/5.56 on my 650

Though since I got a bullet dropper I want to go to a press with more than 5 stations. Just not giving up the powder check station and don’t like the seat/crimp combined. I have something in the neighborhood of 200K+ of rounds through mine and still love it.

Broncolou

Jan 22, 2013
    Parkton MD
    The only reason to go 1100 is swaging or wanting adjustable primer seating depths. I have both and use both regularly. You can’t go wrong with any of them. Casefeeder is def worth having for 750/1100. You can still get a good production numbers and quality ammo out of a 550 w/o a case feeder. I like the 550 for no shellplate flex as the rounds are sitting on the floor of the press for every operation/station except for priming. The 550 is also very friendly to “screw up” fixing over a fully progressive machine.

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    I have a 550, because the caliber exchanges are easy and inexpensive compared to a 650, 750, 1050, 1100. I haven't checked in some time, but the 1050 was not covered by the same "no questions asked" warranty from Dillon, as it is considered a commercial machine. I sometimes think about getting a Square Deal B for pistol reloading, or another 550 so I can keep one in large primer and the other in small primer setup, but honestly, I process most of my brass off of the press and hand prime most of my cases away from my bench. Feeding my 550 prepped and primed brass is plenty fast enough for me.

If you ever find yourself out in Phoenix, it is worth a trip to stop in at their store. Nice people and great service. Dillon presses are hard to beat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom