Why would anyone need more than one gun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    Sometimes it happens by accident. My “gun problem” started many years ago, initiated by my mental ex-girlfriend, Stacy. It went down like this:

Stacy: Happy anniversary, GnR.
    GnR: Stacy, we broke up two months ago.
    Stacy: Well, that doesn't mean we can't still go out.
    GnR: Well, it does, actually. That's what breaking up is.
    Stacy: Well, don't you want to open your present?
    GnR: If it's a severed head I'm going to be very upset.
    Stacy: Open it.
    GnR: (I unwrap it.) What is it?
    Stacy: It's a gun rack.
    GnR: A gun rack ... yeah, right! I don't even own a gun, let alone many guns that would necessitate an entire rack. What am I gonna do with a gun rack?

The rest is a stormy history of tragic boating accidents … Shwing! :party29:
    Approves.

rs-180670-141246894.jpg

rooster

Rebel looking for a cause
    Aug 1, 2010
    Eldersburg, MD
    Little bit of a misleading subject. :)

I’ve been riding/racing motorcycles for decades. At times I’ve had a dozen or more bikes at once. It makes perfect sense to me. A woods bike, a motocross bike, several road race bikes for various classes, a trials bike, a street bike, a long distance bike, a dual sport, etc. They all serve a unique purpose. Surely it’s the same in the gun world.

I’m diving into the shooting hobby - I’m early in my journey from “a guy with some old guns that he got from dad” to... well, I guess I really don’t know yet. I like learning and have been soaking up information from this forum, YouTube, friends, etc. I’m starting to think more about my firearm needs.

I’m finding myself looking at the following categories & options. This is not yet well thought out. Some of this stuff I already own but there are gaps to fill (rationalization!).

* Home defense (inside) - shotgun, handgun
    * Home/property defense in a SHTF scenario - semi-auto, decent range, decent stopping power
    * Conceal carry - handgun
    * Food on the table - .22 for small game, more capable rifle for deer (bolt action because I like it), shotgun.
    * “Civil unrest” - semi-auto, decent capacity, decent stopping power
    * Fun target shooting/plinking - .22 LR rifles & handgun. Shotgun for clays.

I’d like to hear why you “need” your guns. More accurately, what niche do they fill? What have I left out?

Edit: I’m not really looking for recommendations for purchase just yet. I intentionally didn’t specify which ones I already own so that it doesn’t shape the results. While I do hope to learn a little from the discussion, I’m really just genuinely curious what “needs” others have.
    You'll need a .308 to put a deer down.
    You'll need at least a 44 magnum to stop a grizzly.

Duckncover

Jan 14, 2021
    howard county
    You dont NEED to wear your seatbelt but its a good idea...just in case.
    As many have mentioned above, its an addiction/some guns can fit multiple purposes. A good AR can be used for home defense, SHTF, hunting. A good shotgun with a couple different barrels can do hunting/home defense. A good compact pistol can do home defense/carry. Some guys get two of the same model, one to beat up in practice and one to use when it really matters.
    In the end you will probably end up spending a lot of money and time figuring out exactly what you want and exactly what you need. That is part of the fun. You will find your way. Best of luck

Huck Hound

Mar 8, 2020
    Little bit of a misleading subject. :)

I’ve been riding/racing motorcycles for decades. At times I’ve had a dozen or more bikes at once. It makes perfect sense to me. A woods bike, a motocross bike, several road race bikes for various classes, a trials bike, a street bike, a long distance bike, a dual sport, etc. They all serve a unique purpose. Surely it’s the same in the gun world.

I’m diving into the shooting hobby - I’m early in my journey from “a guy with some old guns that he got from dad” to... well, I guess I really don’t know yet. I like learning and have been soaking up information from this forum, YouTube, friends, etc. I’m starting to think more about my firearm needs.

I’m finding myself looking at the following categories & options. This is not yet well thought out. Some of this stuff I already own but there are gaps to fill (rationalization!).

* Home defense (inside) - shotgun, handgun
    * Home/property defense in a SHTF scenario - semi-auto, decent range, decent stopping power
    * Conceal carry - handgun
    * Food on the table - .22 for small game, more capable rifle for deer (bolt action because I like it), shotgun.
    * “Civil unrest” - semi-auto, decent capacity, decent stopping power
    * Fun target shooting/plinking - .22 LR rifles & handgun. Shotgun for clays.

I’d like to hear why you “need” your guns. More accurately, what niche do they fill? What have I left out?

Edit: I’m not really looking for recommendations for purchase just yet. I intentionally didn’t specify which ones I already own so that it doesn’t shape the results. While I do hope to learn a little from the discussion, I’m really just genuinely curious what “needs” others have.

The basic variety for me can be used in any event. Co2 Bb Pistol, 9mm handgun, 22 Lever action, and a 12 gauge shotgun. All for target, protect and civil unrest. If not enough for civil unrest my goal is to take out at least one person before they get me.:eek::thumbsup:

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    I'm a consumer, by definition I consume. Get me another one but different from the first one so I can compare them for myself.
    Man I love being in the USA. But Switzerland is good for automatics and Europe for moderators is better than US. :-(

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    My minimum required collection would be:

AR in 5.56
    12ga pump
    .22 rifle
    .308 rifle (either bolt action or AR10)
    9mm handgun (one that can be concealed)
    .45acp handgun (service sized one)

There are plenty of other “like to have”, but I could get by with the above.

Jbh

Jul 10, 2019
    JBH

I like my 10/22 takedown for my bugout bag
    Stoeger 3000 for waterfowl hunting
    Franchi Affinity 3 for turkey hunting
    Henry 45/70 deer hunting in Straight wall cartridge counties
    Savage 220 slug gun for shotgun only counties
    Remington 700 in 270 for deer rifle hunts out to 300 yards or so.
    Remington 700 in 223/556 for ground hog and predator hunting
    CVA Accura for Muzzleloader season
    To name a few.

These are some specific purposes that I chose to buy these particular firearms. In general I like to tinker with guns and take them apart and perfectly maintain them. I like how different firearms feel in the hand and feel on the shoulder. How they swing in the field or blind. I try never to get another gun until Im proficient at shooting, take down and reassembly, cleaning. Proper training is also VERY important. Firearm ownership and collecting is a serious pastime that is a lot of fun and rewarding.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    My minimum required collection would be:

AR in 5.56
    12ga pump
    .22 rifle
    .308 rifle (either bolt action or AR10)
    9mm handgun (one that can be concealed)
    .45acp handgun (service sized one)

There are plenty of other “like to have”, but I could get by with the above.

So...is that just what is under your bed, or the whole collection? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom