Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    First you need a box of these.
    brnes70.jpg

Then you add this
    vargetcharge.jpg

Of this, to this
    vrgtcase.jpg

Then you seat the bullet to 2.250 per Barnes.
    seatedround.jpg

The rest is up to your hunting skills. I made 50 of these for my dad to hunt with this year.

Tootall

Feelings Hurter
    Oct 3, 2008
    AACO
    im playing that first video over and over lol ooohhh my goooodddd with spirit fingers n girly jump

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Range report. Fired 4, 3 shot groups today at 100 yards. Three were just under 1 MOA and one was just a bit over. I shot them threw my 24" Superior Barreld Wylde chamber Ar with a 1/8" twist. POI was about 1 1/2" lower than the 55gr. FMJ's. Now I need to Chrony it and plug the numbers into a ballistics calculator and see what I'm working with. Right now I'm good out to 300 on deer I think.

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    I hate to burst your bubble, but those bullets are illegal for hunting in the state of MD, in order to be legal they must be soft point bullets
    Actually, the regulations state "..... with ammunition of soft point (expanding) construction." Since bullets without a lead core cannot have a soft point but can still be designed to be expanding, they would be permissible.
    Additionally some bullets are designed to be partially fragmenting, partially weight-retaining. Where would you put these? They are not soft point and not really expanding per se.

J.Brown

Apr 3, 2008
    Hampstead
    Actually, the regulations state "..... with ammunition of soft point (expanding) construction." Since bullets without a lead core cannot have a soft point but can still be designed to be expanding, they would be permissible.
    Additionally some bullets are designed to be partially fragmenting, partially weight-retaining. Where would you put these? They are not soft point and not really expanding per se.

Damn your fast, I'm glad to see i am not the only one that reads the hunting hand book.

TB- i beleive this is at least the second time you miss quoted hunting laws. should really read the book, it on line here

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/huntersguide/pdfs/2009_2010_MDHuntGuide.pdf

Bigdtc

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 6, 2007
    South Carolina
    DNR doesnt know that info, and if they catch you with it and dont see the lead tip your rifle and ammo will be confiscated, I know this for a fact

I've heard of this as well.....
    The other reg they may want to look out for is:
    Rifles used for deer and bear hunting must use ammunition developing a muzzle energy of at least 1,200 foot pounds
    Do the poodle shooters make that??
    I know the 55gr do not...

Caliber 100 yards 200 yards 300 yards 400 yards
    bullet weight energy energy energy energy
    bullet drop bullet drop bullet drop bullet drop
    .223 Rem (921) 648 443 295
    55gr +1.5 0.0 -8.2 -26.2

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I've heard of this as well.....
    The other reg they may want to look out for is:
    Rifles used for deer and bear hunting must use ammunition developing a muzzle energy of at least 1,200 foot pounds
    Do the poodle shooters make that??

55 gr (3.6 g) Nosler ballistic tip 3,240 ft/s (990 m/s) 1,282 ft·lbf (1,738 J)
    60 gr (3.9 g) Nosler partition 3,160 ft/s (960 m/s) 1,330 ft·lbf (1,800 J)
    69 gr (4.5 g) BTHP 2,950 ft/s (900 m/s) 1,333 ft·lbf (1,807 J)
    77 gr (5.0 g) BTHP 2,750 ft/s (840 m/s) 1,293 ft·lbf (1,753 J)

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    DNR doesnt know that info, and if they catch you with it and dont see the lead tip your rifle and ammo will be confiscated, I know this for a fact

That is why in such a case, I will get the book out of my pack and if neccessary, make them eat their words. It is not that much additional weight to carry with you if you are hunting from stands or blinds but having the opportunity to severly annoy a game warden is more than a reward.

So, what would DNR cops do with a TUG/TIG, IDclassic or similar bullet that is completely jacketed but still an expanding construction?
    Summarizing - if it is unusual, carry proof with you.

edit: Again, how is DNR going to field-prove that your ammo is producing the necessary velocity? They cannot unless you shoot a bunch of shots from your gun over a chrony and disassemble some more rounds for accurate bullet weight.

boricuamaximus

Ultimate Member
    Dec 27, 2008
    I thought TSX bullets were ideal for hunting. They expand and retain their weight same as stated above with the Nosler Accubonds. I have about 300 rnds of accubond and 100 of tsx. Chances are I will take my TSX's because they're lead free.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    That is why in such a case, I will get the book out of my pack and if neccessary, make them eat their words. It is not that much additional weight to carry with you if you are hunting from stands or blinds but having the opportunity to severly annoy a game warden is more than a reward.

So, what would DNR cops do with a TUG/TIG, IDclassic or similar bullet that is completely jacketed but still an expanding construction?
    Summarizing - if it is unusual, carry proof with you.

edit: Again, how is DNR going to field-prove that your ammo is producing the necessary velocity? They cannot unless you shoot a bunch of shots from your gun over a chrony and disassemble some more rounds for accurate bullet weight.

Yeah, that will show them while you're in court trying to prove innocence to a Wicomico or Worcester county judge that doesn't know her ass from a hole in the ground. Some things just aren't worth the effort IMO, if folks "really" want to see what damage a .22 can do, join the military. I take to the woods to enjoy my day, not to piss off a warden. :rolleyes:

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    I take to the woods to enjoy my day, not to piss off a warden. :rolleyes:

Why not have two good things at one time?

Honestly, I prefer any game warden to just have a nice chat with me and find out that I am following all rules. Being prepared for the other part does not hurt, although I personally doubt anyone is going to complain about my ammo choice (.54 round ball).

As far as the .223 for hunting goes: It has been proven to work, it is legal so why should people not use it? Same counts for SKS or AK chambered in 7.62x39.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Why not have two good things at one time?

Honestly, I prefer any game warden to just have a nice chat with me and find out that I am following all rules. Being prepared for the other part does not hurt, although I personally doubt anyone is going to complain about my ammo choice (.54 round ball).

As far as the .223 for hunting goes: It has been proven to work, it is legal so why should people not use it? Same counts for SKS or AK chambered in 7.62x39.

Most local wardens are OK in these parts, I'll chat but not give away too much information. I won't try and antagonize them just to prove a point. I like the idea of the OP's 70 grain bullet, bet it has a great BC and good penetration possibilities if it's built heavy enough. The 7.62X39 pretty much parallels a 30/30 so you won't get any argument out of me on that one as long as it's within 150 or so yards. I have some in HP and it's supposed to be for "hunting use". Perhaps it is but to avoid a hassle on public lands Id use a exposed SP just to be left alone if I decided to leave the 06 at home. I know where there is a Savage 99 in .300 Savage, that might be a fun rifle if I can steal it cheap enough.

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    Range report. Fired 4, 3 shot groups today at 100 yards. Three were just under 1 MOA and one was just a bit over. I shot them threw my 24" Superior Barreld Wylde chamber Ar with a 1/8" twist. POI was about 1 1/2" lower than the 55gr. FMJ's. Now I need to Chrony it and plug the numbers into a ballistics calculator and see what I'm working with. Right now I'm good out to 300 on deer I think.

300? kinda far dont you think? What energy is left by the time it gets out there, about 700 ft/lbs? As long as shot placement is great, you would be fine, but one wrong breeze and you might be tracking for a while.

I like the .223 for Sika deer better than I do whitetails.

boricuamaximus

Ultimate Member
    Dec 27, 2008
    This brings up a good question on my part.

Going hunting with my EBR 6.8. These are the bullets:
    110 GRAINS ACCU BOND
    Nosler ACCU BOND BONDED PROJECTILE, Designed to meet optimum performance for FBI use.2630 FPS commercial, 2550 FPS tactical from 16" BBL, 1-10 twist

or

85 GRAINS BARNES
    BARNES LEAD-FREE TSX, BEST GLASS AND DOOR PENETRATION, 3030FPS 100YD/1.1" 200YD/0.0" 300YD/-8.2" 16" BBL, 1-10 twist, 2850 FPS 10" BBL
    3000FPS 16" BBL - excellent terminal performance!
    These are the heavier types:
    110 GRAINS BARNES
    BARNES Lead-Free TSX, BEST GLASS AND DOOR PENETRATION, 2650FPS 100YD/1.1" 200YD/0.0" 300YD/-8.2" 16" BBL, 1-10 twist

Now the 6.8 is a standard .277 bullet just placed on smaller brass. Seems that it meets specs, would I have any issues with game wardens just because they see me hunting with an EBR?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom