• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I've never tried before, but does anyone know if it is legal to purchase >10rnd magazines and have them shipped to a store outside of MD for pick up? I know I can't buy them and have them shipped in.

This is partly outside of can I, just is it legal. Of course the next question is if legal, can I?

In part I was going to run up to Cabela's some weekend in a few weeks and I am hoping to pick up a few magazines, but I would rather order most of them shipped to the store to pick them up. But does that count as a sale in MD? Worst comes to worst I'll just make the trip and cross my fingers as they usually seem to have a good stock. Or maybe call the store first to ask what they have in stock?

Thanks!

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Err, well it looks like cabela's will allow ship to store. Is it legit? I don't mean will they still process it. I mean is it probably legal? I assume they wouldn't do it if it wasn't. I'd just really rather not have it bite me in the ass later.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Some online stores won't sell 10+ mags to someone with a Maryland billing address, regardless of the shipping address.
    Some will.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Err, well it looks like cabela's will allow ship to store. Is it legit? I don't mean will they still process it. I mean is it probably legal? I assume they wouldn't do it if it wasn't. I'd just really rather not have it bite me in the ass later.

As long as the physical transfer occurs in some other state you should be OK

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    So it sounds like I am probably okay so long Cabela's doesn't give me a hassle? When I went to order they gave me a warning that they couldn't ship to Maryland, I change the shipping to the DE store and it looked like it was fine. I didn't hit buy, so it might have kicked it out with my billing info...

My two "last resorts" are call them every Saturday I might go up and see if the store has them in stock and the other is going with your UPS store idea. That is actually pretty awesome and closer than DE is (about 3 1/2hrs round trip to Cabela's from my house, an hour round trip from work to that UPS store or about 2hrs round trip from my house to that UPS store). Never been to the gun bunker...is it worth a look? I figured Cabela's for the lack of sales tax, check out their used racks and pick up some reloading powder since I think I am going to try my hand at reloading .308 (if I can get someone to show me the ropes).

Do you think a little CYA could still be in order like taking a lunch break to drive up to the 83 PA rest stop to place the order on my phone at "lunch" during work some day? I work about an hour round trip from PA. Just to make sure there is zero "buying from Maryland" involved.

Anyway this is all a few weeks away, but I like having everything figured out in advance. I am thinking end of July.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Actually, the more I think about it, Threeband, the more I am leaning towards the Shrewsbury UPS store route. I love going to the Cabela's, but really right now I just want to worry about buying a 10/22, getting a couple large mags for a few different guns I have future plans for and getting a lower. The 10/22 and lower I can do locally of course.

Cabela's can be a nice relaxing trip just to pick up a bunch of different stuff they have in stock sometime I have a legitimately free weekend, which isn't till the fall with all of the summer activities my kids have.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Cabelas will do it or has in the past.
    I purchased something on sale and picked it up a few weeks later completing the "transfer" in DE
    They had the same item sitting there on the rack but I got the item on sale so got the better price.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    You could go to the York gun show tomorrow. Cash doesn't have a billing address either:innocent0

Unfortunately I have to fix up my rental tomorrow. I've got a new tenant moving in, in 3 days!

Nice to know on Cabela's! Thank you! Still not sure which way I'll go, but nice to know I have options.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Unfortunately I have to fix up my rental tomorrow. I've got a new tenant moving in, in 3 days!

Nice to know on Cabela's! Thank you! Still not sure which way I'll go, but nice to know I have options.

Like said above, and quoted below, Cabela's "usually" is not the best deal, BUT...zero issue with legality buying them and having them "Shipped to Store for Pickup"...Have done it more than once, when the mags I wanted were on sale and available...My experience has been just driving up to Delaware and hoping they have them, usually ends with disappointment, everytime I have done that. Order online, ship to store, pickup when emailed to do so...done, easy.

Mags can be exspensive at Cabelas.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Like said above, and quoted below, Cabela's "usually" is not the best deal, BUT...zero issue with legality buying them and having them "Shipped to Store for Pickup"...Have done it more than once, when the mags I wanted were on sale and available...My experience has been just driving up to Delaware and hoping they have them, usually ends with disappointment, everytime I have done that. Order online, ship to store, pickup when emailed to do so...done, easy.

Thanks! I think that is probably what I'll probably do. I priced it and shipping + hold it at the store costs are generally $15 or so...less than that is gas costs round trip and even though it costs me more time, I enjoy waking around Cabela's a lot. I mean it probably costs me more because I am likely to buy something *shrug*

Right now I just want a couple mags for a few guns just in case. I'll track down a better deal to save a few bucks when I need/want to stock up once I actually have the required firearm.

md_al

Apr 25, 2014
    Middle River
    I've used Cabelas ship to store to buy successfully.

For shops that don't ship if Billing address is MD, how do you do the UPS route?

Do you:
    1. Change billing address to the UPS address temporarily?
    2. Add UPS address to your credit card?

Do you order first or call UPS first?

Thanks in advance.

Jan 31, 2017
    Just made a purchase through MidwayUSA. Didn't seem to be a problem putting in the Shrewsbury UPS Store address as @Threeband has described in other threads.

Midway had separate pages. First page was for shipping where I used the UPS Store address, my name and put my cell in the c/o line. Second page was for billing information where I used my MD address associated with my CC.

Looks like the order went through and I'll give the store a call on Monday to give them a heads up.

If there are any problems with this method, I'll follow-up back on here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom