Moving to WV... Bringing "banned" guns back into Maryland to go shooting?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I hesitate to even mention this (and I shudder at the memory) but, many MANY years ago, several members of my family and I car-pooled from SoMD up the Izaak Walton League facility up in Montgomery (or, Frederick?) County to attend one of ONLY TWO MSP "seminars" for non-FFL citizens on then Gov. P. Glendenning's (allow me moment to wipe the memory of THAT p.o.s. out of my mind!) of his (and Miller's and then AG Curran's) new "Omnibus Crime Control package."

Anyway, before I digress too much, at one point during the "progromming lecture" the MSP Cmdr emceeing the circus (to a room full of vets, many decorated, and law-abiding professionals for Lord's sake!) stated emphatically (paraphrased as closely as I am able, after nearly 3 decades), "And if you take any gun on the banned list or, any of those high capacity (back then it was >20 rd) magazines OUT of and then Re-enter the State of MD and we stop you, WE WILL CONFISCATE THEM!"

That was in response to a question from the audience which was eerily similar to that of the OP (which is what brought that specific portion of that whole, horrible night to my conscious mind) AND the MSP Cmdr actually used "going shooting in WV and then getting stopped upon returning to MD" as a part of answer/example.

Of course, the next question was, "Well, if they were legal to possess before the owner went into WV and then returned, under what provision of the law would you confiscate them and, more to the point, what law would you charge the owner with violating?"

The MSP Cmdr practically lost it ala former MSP Super Mitchell-style and, in a shrill voice responded to (never actually answering) the question, "We do not want them in this State and if they are taken out, we don't want them brought back in!!!!!!!!!!"

That whole night remains one of the darkest hours in both my career as an LEO not to mention a (happily, now 'former') MD citizen.

I realize that was nearly 30 years ago but, reading the OP, I guess my thought is, "Was it REALLY that long ago?"

Yes, that is what FSA2013 WAS going to say. And the draft language may have even still had that in it at the time.

But it was changed.

And the actual LAW does not support that.

stringer bell

Aug 20, 2014
    Arrest rates for Maryland on weapons charges is 104 per 100,000 people or 0.1%. If a person is discrete, there's way more than a 99.9% chance that they are not going to be prosecuted. https://bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/woofccj.pdf

Let's not forget that everyone here is law abiding, so there's nothing to worry about.

exactly, no body really cares about this issue, if somebody is measuring your rifle barrel or calling around looking for manufacture dates, guess what you have much more serious issues than barrel profile at that point,

more people have died in Maryland due to lightning strikes than have been charged with a violation of the FSA

I don't worry about lighting, I don't worry about the FSA

stringer bell

Aug 20, 2014
    I hesitate to even mention this (and I shudder at the memory) but, many MANY years ago, several members of my family and I car-pooled from SoMD up the Izaak Walton League facility up in Montgomery (or, Frederick?) County to attend one of ONLY TWO MSP "seminars" for non-FFL citizens on then Gov. P. Glendenning's (allow me moment to wipe the memory of THAT p.o.s. out of my mind!) of his (and Miller's and then AG Curran's) new "Omnibus Crime Control package."

Anyway, before I digress too much, at one point during the "progromming lecture" the MSP Cmdr emceeing the circus (to a room full of vets, many decorated, and law-abiding professionals for Lord's sake!) stated emphatically (paraphrased as closely as I am able, after nearly 3 decades), "And if you take any gun on the banned list or, any of those high capacity (back then it was >20 rd) magazines OUT of and then Re-enter the State of MD and we stop you, WE WILL CONFISCATE THEM!"

That was in response to a question from the audience which was eerily similar to that of the OP (which is what brought that specific portion of that whole, horrible night to my conscious mind) AND the MSP Cmdr actually used "going shooting in WV and then getting stopped upon returning to MD" as a part of answer/example.

Of course, the next question was, "Well, if they were legal to possess before the owner went into WV and then returned, under what provision of the law would you confiscate them and, more to the point, what law would you charge the owner with violating?"

The MSP Cmdr practically lost it ala former MSP Super Mitchell-style and, in a shrill voice responded to (never actually answering) the question, "We do not want them in this State and if they are taken out, we don't want them brought back in!!!!!!!!!!"

That whole night remains one of the darkest hours in both my career as an LEO not to mention a (happily, now 'former') MD citizen.

I realize that was nearly 30 years ago but, reading the OP, I guess my thought is, "Was it REALLY that long ago?"

who cares, some super trooper commander talking shit 30 years ago, guess what, 30 round mags are still at every public range and weapons are not being taken without an impressive list of felonies to go along with.

the reality is nobody is going to show up at a public range, look at my guns, and say,
    oh that's a pre FSA SBR, so sub 29 is OK,

that's a Post FSA SBR 6920 so this one has to be over 29, but non hbar is ok

this one seems to be a post FSA LMT mrp that's cash and carry so pretty much anything goes

this one is a pre FSA 6920 and is good to go

but that one post FSA colt lower that somebody popped a standard 6920 uppers is a no go

its not happening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom