• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Larre

Sep 29, 2013
    I have searched the forums and found a few posts about this, but I'm not confident that I know the answer. I asked my FFL and he wasn't sure.

Does anybody know if a complete AR-15 pistol lower (that is, it has a Phase 5 pistol tube attached to a complete (LPK and trigger) lower) is legal for transfer in MD? Does it transfer just like a stripped lower? I know that stripped lowers are OK, but I have never thought about a complete pistol lower before.

:shrug: Thanks...

CrueChief

Cocker Dad/RIP Bella
    Apr 3, 2009
    Napolis-ish
    Will most likely need an HQL if sold as a "pistol" lower. There for will transfer like a pistol and all that entails. But I don't know for sure, just my guess.

Doitsouthstyle

Apr 4, 2012
    Baltimore County
    Are you asking because you don't have or won't to get an HQL? Because from my understanding stripped or complete are considered other because if you bought a complete lower with rifle stock but never installed and upper and decided to build a pistol you could because it was never a complete gun and you still have to wait 7 days for a complete rifle lower because it isn't designated as a rifle or pistol. Other wise it would be cash and carry.

Larre

Sep 29, 2013
    Thanks for the response. No, I have an HQL... my concern was that because it is a "complete" pistol lower that it is somehow controlled by the Handgun list or otherwise banned. But from the responses, it would appear that basically this is equivalent to a stripped lower, so it's legal.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Will most likely need an HQL if sold as a "pistol" lower. There for will transfer like a pistol and all that entails. But I don't know for sure, just my guess.

No.

A lower, no matter if it's a "pistol" lower or a "rifle" lower does not have any of the legally defining features to make it either a pistol or a rifle. It is an "other firearm" and is transferred as such.

OP, you will not need an HQL to buy a "pistol" lower. Your FFL should transfer it to you as an "other." Because of MSP stupidity though, you'll still have to do a 77R and have the waiting period.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    No.

A lower, no matter if it's a "pistol" lower or a "rifle" lower does not have any of the legally defining features to make it either a pistol or a rifle. It is an "other firearm" and is transferred as such.

OP, you will not need an HQL to buy a "pistol" lower. Your FFL should transfer it to you as an "other." Because of MSP stupidity though, you'll still have to do a 77R and have the waiting period.

This is who I've been waiting for^^^

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Hahahahahah.

Autocorrect strikes again.

I was joking. I was waiting for your comment. :thumbsup:

BUT
    , since I have you attention, Someone asked a couple weeks ago about the LAW Tactical AR folder and the legality of putting one on a pre-ban lower. My gut reaction would be only if it were on before the ban(were they even around then?). I offered no answer. What say you?

Larre

Sep 29, 2013
    Thanks Hawkeye and everyone else for the responses. This was most helpful. The new lower is now inbound...!

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    I was joking. I was waiting for your comment. :thumbsup:

BUT
    , since I have you attention, Someone asked a couple weeks ago about the LAW Tactical AR folder and the legality of putting one on a pre-ban lower. My gut reaction would be only if it were on before the ban(were they even around then?). I offered no answer. What say you?

I wouldn't think it would matter. If it's grandfathered, it's grandfathered. You can't make a banned rifle "more banned" by adding stuff to it. With a preban you can do whatever you like.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I wouldn't think it would matter. If it's grandfathered, it's grandfathered. You can't make a banned rifle "more banned" by adding stuff to it. With a preban you can do whatever you like.

Thanks Hawkeye. With the price of them coming down ($185 last time I checked) I'm thinking we will see more of these appear. Only drawback with them is they do add weight the the gun.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Thanks Hawkeye. With the price of them coming down ($185 last time I checked) I'm thinking we will see more of these appear. Only drawback with them is they do add weight the the gun.

Yeah but if you have a pencil barrel on that preban rifle it is already so much lighter compared to a post ban HBAR required rifle you've got a long way to go to catch up in weight.

That is one of the things I am waiting for is my 10.5" M4 profile AR pistol being finished. I figure it'll be less than 2/3rds the weight of my 20" HBAR rifle. It might even be half the weight (9lbs for the rifle with scope, pistol will wear BUIS and a red dot).

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Yeah but if you have a pencil barrel on that preban rifle it is already so much lighter compared to a post ban HBAR required rifle you've got a long way to go to catch up in weight.

That is one of the things I am waiting for is my 10.5" M4 profile AR pistol being finished. I figure it'll be less than 2/3rds the weight of my 20" HBAR rifle. It might even be half the weight (9lbs for the rifle with scope, pistol will wear BUIS and a red dot).

I've never had a problem with heavy rifles. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom