• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    Maybe the hunters (not going to use the F word), will finally realize we are in this fight together.
    They are too busy fighting over crossbows vs compounds. We can't even hunt our own property on Sundays in much of the state thanks to the lack of organization.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    Maryland Hunting Coalition has a secret plan they can't tell you about to defeat this bill.

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    I wouldn't rely on the Maryland Hunting Coalition. I wouldn't rely on the NRA. We need to rely on ourselves to make real change in Maryland. The way I see it, a good deal of the rural and suburban citizens of Maryland are completely or minimally represented by a government that as a group does not care about the rights (civil or otherwise) of (all) it's constituents. This is not correct and is the beginning of a slippery slope where politicians only see their constituents as a means for re-election in a gerrymandered district, rather as the public they were elected to serve. While I feel lucky to live in a district where I have like-minded representation, not everyone has this luxury and I sure know that I am in the minority in this state. Clearly, MD does not recognize all minorities and legislation of this nature is among the many reasons why, as law-abiding citizens are the only ones who will be affected by this somewhat illegal money/civil rights grab. We need people located in the heavily DEM controlled districts to come together. This is the group we need to energize. Maybe if places like southern MD can unseat someone as well-entrenched as Steny Hoyer or a Michael Busch, maybe state-level politicians will start listening to ALL of their constituents, not following the MD DEM kabuki show that many of us have grown to expect every year.

I'll stop off my soapbox now. Hope to see some of you in Annapolis.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I wouldn't rely on the Maryland Hunting Coalition. I wouldn't rely on the NRA. We need to rely on ourselves to make real change in Maryland. The way I see it, a good deal of the rural and suburban citizens of Maryland are completely or minimally represented by a government that as a group does not care about the rights (civil or otherwise) of (all) it's constituents. This is not correct and is the beginning of a slippery slope where politicians only see their constituents as a means for re-election in a gerrymandered district, rather as the public they were elected to serve. While I feel lucky to live in a district where I have like-minded representation, not everyone has this luxury and I sure know that I am in the minority in this state. Clearly, MD does not recognize all minorities and legislation of this nature is among the many reasons why, as law-abiding citizens are the only ones who will be affected by this somewhat illegal money/civil rights grab. We need people located in the heavily DEM controlled districts to come together. This is the group we need to energize. Maybe if places like southern MD can unseat someone as well-entrenched as Steny Hoyer or a Michael Busch, maybe state-level politicians will start listening to ALL of their constituents, not following the MD DEM kabuki show that many of us have grown to expect every year.

I'll stop off my soapbox now. Hope to see some of you in Annapolis.

busch is not a rep from southern md, hes from aa county and as long as hoyer gets his pg and aa county votes he will be in for ever.

but yes we all need to do what we can do to get more republican in the mga.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Testimony Facts !

I'm finally having the opportunity to do my Written Testimony for the Senate, and discovered important facts that need to be added to our talking points on the lack of any legitimate crime reduction value.

I was crunching thru piles of UCR data, expecting to develope numbers to show how infrequently Rifles & Shotguns are used in crimes, as compared to to : Knives or Random objects or hands & feet or strangulation & asphyxiation. Pointing out all of those are EACH more commonly used than R&S, and in no way regulated in aquiring, or registered. In aggregate, massively more common.

BUT , what did surprise me, is that rifles and shotguns are used for murder in Maryland Less Than Half as Often as the US as a whole ! Smack me with a moldy crab, but I wasn't expecting that . I eventually want to crunch numbers to see if there is an actual reverse corelation of state laws making handgun purchases difficult result in greater criminal use of handguns vs R&S .

( in related note, I did actually find a reference to number of murders by muzzleloaders for a 4 year period in the 1990's , but will need to run some UCR numbers for those years to get percentages. The numbers do not seem to be kept in any normal record keeping, but I found a small town newspaper article back in the day quoting s m unnamed ATF official.)

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    I'm finally having the opportunity to do my Written Testimony for the Senate, and discovered important facts that need to be added to our talking points on the lack of any legitimate crime reduction value.

I was crunching thru piles of UCR data, expecting to develope numbers to show how infrequently Rifles & Shotguns are used in crimes, as compared to to : Knives or Random objects or hands & feet or strangulation & asphyxiation. Pointing out all of those are EACH more commonly used than R&S, and in no way regulated in aquiring, or registered. In aggregate, massively more common.

BUT , what did surprise me, is that rifles and shotguns are used for murder in Maryland Less Than Half as Often as the US as a whole ! Smack me with a moldy crab, but I wasn't expecting that . I eventually want to crunch numbers to see if there is an actual reverse corelation of state laws making handgun purchases difficult result in greater criminal use of handguns vs R&S .

( in related note, I did actually find a reference to number of murders by muzzleloaders for a 4 year period in the 1990's , but will need to run some UCR numbers for those years to get percentages. The numbers do not seem to be kept in any normal record keeping, but I found a small town newspaper article back in the day quoting s m unnamed ATF official.)

the important thing to remember, and what the UCR data doent contain, is the method of aquisition for the long arms listed.

- was it a straw purchases? The long gun transfer law wont stop that
    -was it stolen? The long gun transfer law wont stop that
    -was it inherited? The long gun transfer law wont stop that
    -was it legally purchased? By a non prohibited person? And still used in a crime? The long gun transfer law wont stop that

But, but, 40 percent of guns trace to out of state sources they will say. So do 49% of Maryland residents, according to census data.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    But regardless of method aquired, the rate of being used in crimes in Maryland is less than half of the already minuscule rate in the rest of the country.

In seperate observation, I had been incorrect in stating there had been zero rifle murders in Md since 2002. The Zero murders was for the catagory of Sniper type. Rifle and shotgun average about the same , with variation of distribution year to year. Low single digits .

magnetic1

Jun 21, 2013
    Montgomery County
    Hope it helps Bigfoot! (and thanks!)

My pessimistic MD 2A side will say though that their response will likely be along the lines of... this will prevent FUTURE murders and even if they can prevent ONE, it is all worth it. :angry

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    But regardless of method aquired, the rate of being used in crimes in Maryland is less than half of the already minuscule rate in the rest of the country.

In seperate observation, I had been incorrect in stating there had been zero rifle murders in Md since 2002. The Zero murders was for the catagory of Sniper type. Rifle and shotgun average about the same , with variation of distribution year to year. Low single digits .

Great analytical work! The bolded is the point we need to drive home relentlessly with the MGA droids. That and FSA 2013 is having no positive effect on the numbers.

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    This is my written testimony for SB 948:

SB 948 - Public Safety - Rifles and Shotguns - Secondary Transactions

Oppose

Mr. Chairman, and members of the Judicial Proceedings Committee,

I am a lifelong Maryland resident, voter, and taxpayer.

I am not a felon.

I abide by the laws of Maryland. If I give a rifle or shotgun to a friend or a co-worker to go hunting, I become a felon under SB948.

Based on a similar Nevada law that was not implemented, Maryland gun dealers are prohibited by law from using the FBI’s background check system for private sales/transfers, so this is illegal under Federal law.

SB 948 will do NOTHING to stop crime in Maryland. It WILL make felons out of law abiding citizens.

I urge you to give an unfavorable report to SB 948.

Respectfully,

Kevin K

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    This is my written testimony for SB 948:

SB 948 - Public Safety - Rifles and Shotguns - Secondary Transactions

Oppose

Mr. Chairman, and members of the Judicial Proceedings Committee,

I am a lifelong Maryland resident, voter, and taxpayer.

I am not a felon.

I abide by the laws of Maryland. If I give a rifle or shotgun to a friend or a co-worker to go hunting, I become a felon under SB948.

Based on a similar Nevada law that was not implemented, Maryland gun dealers are prohibited by law from using the FBI’s background check system for private sales/transfers, so this is illegal under Federal law.

SB 948 will do NOTHING to stop crime in Maryland. It WILL make felons out of law abiding citizens.

I urge you to give an unfavorable report to SB 948.

Respectfully,

Kevin K

Actually it is a misdemeanor (not a felony), but punishable by up to 5 years in jail and a $10,000 fine. That's still a lifetime disqualification if convicted so its a nit. Here are the penalty provisions:

G) (1) EXCEPT AS PROVIDED IN PARAGRAPH (2) OF THIS SUBSECTION, A PERSON WHO VIOLATES THIS SECTION IS GUILTY OF A MISDEMEANOR AND ON CONVICTION IS SUBJECT TO IMPRISONMENT NOT EXCEEDING 5 YEARS OR A FINE NOT EXCEEDING $10,000 OR BOTH.

(2) A PERSON WHO PROVIDES FALSE INFORMATION WHILE CONDUCTING A TRANSACTION UNDER THIS SECTION IS GUILTY OF A MISDEMEANOR AND ON CONVICTION IS SUBJECT TO IMPRISONMENT NOT EXCEEDING 3 YEARS OR A FINE NOT EXCEEDING $5,000 OR BOTH.

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    Actually it is a misdemeanor (not a felony), but punishable by up to 5 years in jail and a $10,000 fine. That's a nit. Here are the penalty provisions language:

G) (1) EXCEPT AS PROVIDED IN PARAGRAPH (2) OF THIS SUBSECTION, A 7 PERSON WHO VIOLATES THIS SECTION IS GUILTY OF A MISDEMEANOR AND ON 8 CONVICTION IS SUBJECT TO IMPRISONMENT NOT EXCEEDING 5 YEARS OR A FINE 9 NOT EXCEEDING $10,000 OR BOTH. 10

(2) A PERSON WHO PROVIDES FALSE INFORMATION WHILE 11 CONDUCTING A TRANSACTION UNDER THIS SECTION IS GUILTY OF A MISDEMEANOR 12 AND ON CONVICTION IS SUBJECT TO IMPRISONMENT NOT EXCEEDING 3 YEARS OR A 13 FINE NOT EXCEEDING $5,000 OR BOTH.
    Okay, I will change my document.

I took that from the MSI email:

Rifles and Shotguns - Secondary Transactions

There are so many problems with this bill it is hard to even know where to begin. Simplified you may no longer sell a long gun of any type to anyone without going through a background check, despite the fact, there is no provision for a place one could even bring a long gun in order to transfer it to another person! In addition to banning the private sale, you can't even lend your firearm to someone unless you are actively "hunting". If you were to lend it to a friend the day before they went hunting, you'd be guilty of a FELONY.

Hunters, please join us in testifying against this terrible bill!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    "With same legal result as a Felony conviction in having Rights prohubited" or other paraphrasing to that effect.

By all means , people so inclined continue with Testimony along these lines. I just finished my emergency power nap and will be diving into some more UCR crunching in this and the Black Powder bill. I will post interesting numbers to talk about, and will finish up before leaving for the Monday Night festivities.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I attempted to write something regarding the 2 letters I wrote already to my Senator regarding SB' 0245 and 0511 to be entered as written testimony on March 8 but it got deleted somehow before i could write about it here.

However I am requesting good facts or words to use in drafting one to oppose SB 0948 which seeks to require background checks, FFL, all sorts of crap I know you guys already discussed.

So, please help me with some brief ideas to write asap. Thanks.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I would like a few ideas how to convey my highest disdain for the jerks who want to disarm us and yet address how it is our right to NOT be criminalized for lending, selling, gifting etc a long gun to our friends, family etc.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    So Far I have wrriten this plus included something I cut and pasted from NRA to give me the gist of things.
    --------------------------------------------
    I am writing to request this letter be submitted as written testimony as it pertains to
    SB 0948.

The Synopsis of SB 0948 reads like this:
    Providing that a person who is not a specified licensee may not complete the transfer of a specified rifle or shotgun as transferor or transferee, except under specified circumstances; requiring, before a specified transfer is conducted, the transferor and transferee to meet jointly with a specified licensee and request that the licensee facilitate the transfer; requiring a licensee to take specified actions when facilitating a transfer; etc.

My testimony is to state that as stipulated in the United States Constitution, the Second Amendment already states that the right to bear arms is our inalienable right in the defending of our land, our homes, our families and ourselves.

Senate Bill 0948 would require individuals to appear before a licensed firearm dealer to request a criminal background check prior to transferring a long gun, absent limited and vague exceptions. The dealer would also be required to create a record of each sale. This flawed legislation is being pushed by an out-of-state anti-gun group who is trying to impose their misguided policies on the law-abiding gun owners of Maryland.

Please enter this letter as my written testimony that I oppose SB 0948

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom