• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I took several people's advice in preparing for my maiden voyage with a new TP9SFx. I ran 150 rounds through it with no malfunctions at all. This is the result of the last box of ammo:
    c9f9834ede53ae5f2a2e055032504029.jpg

This is what I did:
    1) Broke the gun down and completely cleaned it.
    2) Lubed it with a synthetic lube containing PTFE.
    3) Reassembled it and racked the slide 100 times
    4) Dry fired 25 times with a snap cap.
    5) Repeated steps 1-4 two more times
    6) Heavily lubed it at the range
    7) Ran three boxes of Speer Lawman 124 grain ammo through it

This is important because I've heard more than my share of bad initial reports on the TP9SFx because the springs are very stiff. It's a great gun at an amazing price. Here is a picture of one all dressed up, as mine will be soon:
    12779debdb129f77a5e43d5abf3a82b9.jpeg

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Awesome... been staring hard at one lately

It's totally worth it. The trigger is great (less than 4 pounds with an amazing reset). It comes as a complete kit to include a holster, two mags, cleaning tools, extra fiber optic rods, and reflex sight base plates for the most popular sights to include Vortex, Trijicon, Docter, and more.

I got mine from IP Tyler Firearms in Halethorpe.

armed_economist

Dec 4, 2017
    A rookie question, do all new guns require steps 1-5 as you described to break things in, or a lighter version of that work can be sufficient?

Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county
    A rookie question, do all new guns require steps 1-5 as you described to break things in, or a lighter version of that work can be sufficient?

Not all guns require this. Most don’t in my experience. Some can be a little rough from the factory or have overly strong springs.

Cleaning/ lubing and inspecting a new firearm is always a good idea IMO. However, it may not be required for proper function.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County

Most do not require this. My Glock was ready out of the box. I had a client with a Smith and Wesson M&P Shield Performance Center model that did require that level of prep.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    10. I was shooting quickly, so I didn't want to take the time I normally do for 25 yard shots. I knocked off three boxes of ammo in less than 30 minutes.

I'm bustin chops. :) I fired a pistol with a red dot for the first time a few weeks ago. I had a hell of a time getting used to it until I got used to it. Then I realized it really isn't for "aiming in", and that it's just "when you see the dot somewhere where it counts press the trigger" type shooting.

That pistol looks great decked out like that.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I'm bustin chops. I fired a pistol with a red dot for the first time a few weeks ago. I had a hell of a time getting used to it until I got used to it. Then I realized it really isn't for "aiming in", and that it's just "when you see the dot somewhere where it counts press the trigger" type shooting.

That pistol looks great decked out like that.

Got it. Thanks. I shot that with iron sights. My red dot should be in this week. It will be my first time shooting a proper handgun with a red dot. My AR pistol has a red dot and I can make 4" to 6" groups with that at 25 yards. I'll be happy if I can come close to duplicating that performance with the Canik.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Got it. Thanks. I shot that with iron sights. My red dot should be in this week. It will be my first time shooting a proper handgun with a red dot. My AR pistol has a red dot and I can make 4" to 6" groups with that at 25 yards. I'll be happy if I can come close to duplicating that performance with the Canik.

I found that trying to "aim" the dot slow fire is akin to trying to aim a laser. That little son of a bitch never stays in the same spot. I would never be able to make a dime size group from 7 yards with a red dot like I can with regular sights. They are definitely a self defense/competition action sight fo sho.

I was best with it when just following the dot down on the sight picture reset and when it just got somewhere I needed the round, I shot. Repeat.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I found that trying to "aim" the dot slow fire is akin to trying to aim a laser. That little son of a bitch never stays in the same spot. I would never be able to make a dime size group from 7 yards with a red dot like I can with regular sights. They are definitely a self defense/competition action sight fo sho.

I was best with it when just following the dot down on the sight picture reset and when it just got somewhere I needed the round, I shot. Repeat.

That's what I'm looking to do. One skill I've not really developed is rapid fire defensive shooting. What I'd like to able to do is get 100% inside the eight ring at 15 yards with rapid fire with either hand. I already shoot with both eyes open, so I'm part of the way there.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Back at Armed_Economist's inquiry :

Default recomended practice is disassemble , inspect for obvious problems , clean , lube , reassemble, shoot initially with fmj .

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    Just picked one up so I can mess around with carry optics in USPSA. Seems like a nice cheap alternative to the Sig X5. We'll see.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Just picked one up so I can mess around with carry optics in USPSA. Seems like a nice cheap alternative to the Sig X5. We'll see.

For a casual shooter (goes to the range 1-2 times a month) like me that wants to develop new rapid fire/defensive fire skills, it's a great fit. I understand that true competition guns cost significantly more, but that level of competition is not on my immediate horizon.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Brand name FMJ is considered least likely to have ammo related feeding issues , and is usually loaded to "standard " pressures/ velocity for the caliber .

All to reducing variables . If a gun is reliable with standard FMJ , that is a baseline , then if subsequently has issues with jhp, swc , hot , or particularly mild loads , it will narrow where to investagate .

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    For a casual shooter (goes to the range 1-2 times a month) like me that wants to develop new rapid fire/defensive fire skills, it's a great fit. I understand that true competition guns cost significantly more, but that level of competition is not on my immediate horizon.
    I'd love to shoot this bad boy.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Be advised this firearm calls for NATO spec 124 grain ammo. ESPECIALLY when new. It will be a jam o matic if not. You can get lighter springs I am told that will allow less powerful ammo. It does shoot well though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom