• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Pre-retirement I bought lots of various reloading kit. I knew I'd do it one day.

Today was that day. I had qualified and willing adult supervision.

I've been wanting to get some done but was reluctant to try solely based on reading manuals and watching YouTube. :o

The first ones were .45acp.

They were 185 gr JHP in new Starline brass. 6.6 gr of Clays Universal. Remington lg pistol primers.

I forgot one primer but caught it before adding powder. I skipped adding a casing once too and had to back up... no double loads of powder andonly 1 of first 3 rounds needed to reseat the primer. (Took a few to get the hang of how much pressure to seat the primer properly.)

For any other reloading virgins, I say...try it, you'll like it.

Slow and steady. Build good habits. Avoid distractions.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Pre-retirement I bought lots of various reloading kit. I knew I'd do it one day.

Today was that day. I had qualified and willing adult supervision.

I've been wanting to get some done but was reluctant to try solely based on reading manuals and watching YouTube. :o

The first ones were .45acp.

They were 185 gr JHP in new Starline brass. 6.6 gr of Clays Universal. Remington lg pistol primers.

I forgot one primer but caught it before adding powder. I skipped adding a casing once too and had to back up... no double loads of powder andonly 1 of first 3 rounds needed to reseat the primer. (Took a few to get the hang of how much pressure to seat the primer properly.)

When you shoot those first rounds that you made yourself you will get a rush.:thumbsup:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Congradulations !

But the thread title a little misleading. I was expecting a tale of bullet casting , or maybe swaging .

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Why yes, but of course sir. We have your reservation. We are programmed to receive.

You'll be staying in our exclusive Pink Wing, right along with your other friends who build rockets. The nice man in the white jacket will take your bags. Just down the hall, then through the gate to the left.

Why yes, you can check out any time you'd like, but you can never leave.

Welcome to a whole new world of insanity! :)

Major03

Ultimate Member
    Reloading is an OCD persons heaven lol.

Good job and welcome to the game. Wait until you start reloading rifle rounds :)

Plenty of rabbit holes to fall down in reloading. Primer pocket uniforming, Flash hole deburring, annealling, neck turning...

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Very cool! The more you do it, the more you'll appreciate how gratifying it is to roll your own. Then, when you find the perfect load for a particular gun, you'll wonder why you didn't start doing it sooner. Go ahead and just add a chronograph to your future must-have shopping list. You're going to want one of them, too. Trust me.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Reloading is an OCD persons heaven lol.

Good job and welcome to the game. Wait until you start reloading rifle rounds :)

Plenty of rabbit holes to fall down in reloading. Primer pocket uniforming, Flash hole deburring, annealling, neck turning...
    All these terms I've read for years. While I generally understood them, standing at a press makes them a whole lot more real.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Very cool! The more you do it, the more you'll appreciate how gratifying it is to roll your own. Then, when you find the perfect load for a particular gun, you'll wonder why you didn't start doing it sooner. Go ahead and just add a chronograph to your future must-have shopping list. You're going to want one of them, too. Trust me.
    Damn man...I don't want to be a nerd... Or do I?

It does have its allure. Already.

usa259

Mar 11, 2015
    I've been doing pistol rounds for 20+ years, rifle for 1 year and just this past week put together 25 shotshell rounds, ohh man, first shot and all 24 after that very gratifying.... My 7/8oz transfer bar and #32 and #31 bushings were in transit so I had to measure the powder (18grs and 17.1grs of Clays) and shot (382.8grs) by hand which took considerable time. Shipment was due yesterday, hopefully will arrive today.

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones

Congratulations! Reloading (& related) are some of my favorite rainy day activities.

Ref mistakes and catching them, in addition to all the good information above, I would preach "use plenty of bright light" at your reloading bench. This is especially important when aging eyes are involved. I once seated an inverted primer and the round passed a tactile and several visual checks. I was in a rented house basement with one overhead incandescent for every 400 square feet. My bench light tended to backlight my seating operation ... Never again.

May 21, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    I've never reloaded but it's definitely a lurking thought in my mind. I know I should do it but life is already too damn busy for my liking.

Congratulations for taking the plunge!

Major03

Ultimate Member
    For those starting out...you can get as complex in your process or keep it as simple as you want to. I'm a tinkerer by nature, and a perfectionist...so I like to do as much as I can to complicate my process lol.

To be honest though...it probably doesn't really make things that much more accurate for me due to my shooting ability. You can keep a very simple process and still produce rounds that are equivalent to match grade quality ammo...and save money doing it.

It's easy to fall into the trap of buying more and more tools, gauges, presses, tumblers, sonic cleaners, annealers, powder chargers and on an on and on (and I've fallen into that trap a good bit). That stuff really isn't necessary to make good quality and safe reloads.

A chronograph is a good add - second that. Both for safety reasons and for figuring out your reloads' ballistics after you've come up with a good recipe.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    OP You are now at the first stage of Reloading!

Stages
    1. I'm going to reload to save money.
    2. I'm going to make more powerful rounds (watch those pressure signs).
    3. I'm going to load for maximum accuracy.
    4. I'm going to make rounds you can't buy over the counter.
    5. I'm going to reload to save money.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    OP You are now at the first stage of Reloading!

Stages
    1. I'm going to reload to save money.
    2. I'm going to make more powerful rounds (watch those pressure signs).
    3. I'm going to load for maximum accuracy.
    4. I'm going to make rounds you can't buy over the counter.
    5. I'm going to reload to save money.
    Big fella...thanks.

I am going to reload so I will never run out...

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Or my slight variations on the list :

You'll never actually spend less in absolute $ on ammo . You will end up shooting more, with higher quality ammo for the same $ outlay.

I combine #2 & #4 together into - You will be able to tailor your ammo to desired level of power . For some notoriously under powered factory ammo ( usually in deference to specific weak guns) , this would involve speeding up to something more, yet suitable for your gun(s) . For big bore rifles and magnum revolvers this could be turning down .

Absolute accuracy chasing is a potentially enjoyable sub- hobby . For me , I am usually a bit more pragmatic . I will have an accuracy range in mind suitable for my intentions & expectations . Once I reach that I will usually declare Victory . ie , a revolver load , at desired velocity, that will group 1.25in @ 25yds , I'll usually be satisfied , and not obsess to shrink to 1.0 in .

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Or my slight variations on the list : You'll never actually spend less in absolute $ on ammo . You will end up shooting more, with higher quality ammo for the same $ outlay.

That was also my experience. Shooting factory 41 Magnum JSP back in the day wasn't a good choice for someone trying to compete in IHMSA matches so I was forced to reload by necessity. Got me a Lyman turret press, a set of RCBS carbide dies and had a friend come over and show me how to do it. Simple and, at the same time, extremely satisfying. If I still had the available time, I would jump right back into it again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom