• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Been a little while since I posted anything. I regrettingly sold a couple things and picked up a couple new toys at the last Frederick show. One of them courtesy of Brian at South Carroll Sporting Goods.

He'd gotten this Type 99 Arisaka in and once I saw it I knew I had to have it. It appears to be an all matching and correct Nagoya 7th Series. It's got hardly any wear to it and the stock is in excellent shape. As a bonus it's even got the original cleaning rod and what appears to be an original Japanese cloth sling. I'm a sucker for nice Japanese stuff, especially late war. The scrubbed mum sucks, but I'll choose matching numbers over the mum any day. The part that really did it for me though, is that all of the screws are still staked!

The second is a Swiss K11 Carbine. I already have one K11, but when I took this one out of the bubble wrap when it was imported I immediately told myself it was joining my Swiss collection. K11's are seldom seen with soldier's tags, or matching bayonets, and even less seldom seen with both! The finish is a little worn, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity. It's got a nice spot in the safe next to my Vetterli, M1911, and K31. All with matching bayonets. This one was issued to Walter Buhler. The other information, I have yet to decipher. It's got some nice tiger striping on the stock, but the pictures don't do it justice.

Attachments

• IMG_8040.jpg
      IMG_8040.jpg
      129.3 KB · Views: 368
    • IMG_8080.jpg
      IMG_8080.jpg
      115.2 KB · Views: 364
    • IMG_8098.jpg
      IMG_8098.jpg
      127.8 KB · Views: 362
    • IMG_8170.jpg
      IMG_8170.jpg
      88.7 KB · Views: 363
    • IMG_8182.jpg
      IMG_8182.jpg
      131.2 KB · Views: 363
    • IMG_8227.jpg
      IMG_8227.jpg
      130.7 KB · Views: 362
    • IMG_8287.jpg
      IMG_8287.jpg
      108.8 KB · Views: 362
    • IMG_8296.jpg
      IMG_8296.jpg
      49.2 KB · Views: 359

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    Beautiful 7th series!! Condition is fantastic and like you I’d take matching numbers and high condition any day over a mum. The grooved safety on a portion of the 6th/7th series rifles like yours has is a pretty neat variation too! Congrats!

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Beautiful 7th series!! Condition is fantastic and like you I’d take matching numbers and high condition any day over a mum. The grooved safety on a portion of the 6th/7th series rifles like yours has is a pretty neat variation too! Congrats!

+1! You don't see the grooved safety often. I might have one in my pile of T99s then again, maybe not. That was a good find, esp. with sling.

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    Also, in case you're interested and don't have the T99 book, estimated dates of production for the 7th series was Feb - May '44 so based on your SN you can guesstimate it down a little from there given the 7th was a full series of 100k rifles.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Also, in case you're interested and don't have the T99 book, estimated dates of production for the 7th series was Feb - May '44 so based on your SN you can guesstimate it down a little from there given the 7th was a full series of 100k rifles.

Thanks guys! I’ve been looking for a copy of the Type 38 and the Type 99 books actually. Too bad they’re out of print now.

Any thoughts on the sling? On the rear end, it’s just wrapped around the loop. I’m assuming part of it is missing?

The cleaning rod is one of the short ones, which appears to be correct for the series. Brian said the rifle came out of an estate, so I’m glad whoever owned it for the past 72 years never messed with it.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I was lucky to get a copy of the Banzai T99 book while it was still in print. Sadly missed out on the T38 book and it's gonna cost me plenty from what I've seen up for sale. Love the Banzai books as they go into much greater detail than Fred's classic reference. Better for the hard-core collector as there are all kinds of variations out there.

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    Thanks guys! I’ve been looking for a copy of the Type 38 and the Type 99 books actually. Too bad they’re out of print now.

Any thoughts on the sling? On the rear end, it’s just wrapped around the loop. I’m assuming part of it is missing?

The cleaning rod is one of the short ones, which appears to be correct for the series. Brian said the rifle came out of an estate, so I’m glad whoever owned it for the past 72 years never messed with it.

Yeah the 38 and 99 books aren't cheap or the easiest to find but they're worth their weight in gold, tons and tons of valuable information and photos. I snatched mine off Gunbroker a while back but they also pop up on fleabay fairly regularly but expect to pay $100-125+ for each.

The short screw-in cleaning rod is in fact correct for the 7th series. Could you post a couple close ups of the sling? Weave pattern and one of the buckle would be helpful and I can see if the style matches any in the books. Probably is missing something if the one end is open like that, either a buckle or a stud but who knows, as the war went on they ended up just tying rope on as a sling so it could have been something made in the field. My 7th series that was mailed back from the Philippines has a canvas sling that is clearly a US product the soldier added on after he acquired it so yours could be something along those lines too.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Yeah the 38 and 99 books aren't cheap or the easiest to find but they're worth their weight in gold, tons and tons of valuable information and photos. I snatched mine off Gunbroker a while back but they also pop up on fleabay fairly regularly but expect to pay $100-125+ for each.

The short screw-in cleaning rod is in fact correct for the 7th series. Could you post a couple close ups of the sling? Weave pattern and one of the buckle would be helpful and I can see if the style matches any in the books. Probably is missing something if the one end is open like that, either a buckle or a stud but who knows, as the war went on they ended up just tying rope on as a sling so it could have been something made in the field. My 7th series that was mailed back from the Philippines has a canvas sling that is clearly a US product the soldier added on after he acquired it so yours could be something along those lines too.

Sorry for the delay. Here's a couple shots of the sling and the cleaning rod.

Attachments

• IMG_8177.jpg
      IMG_8177.jpg
      92.7 KB · Views: 59
    • IMG_8179.jpg
      IMG_8179.jpg
      98.5 KB · Views: 59
    • IMG_8181.jpg
      IMG_8181.jpg
      85.8 KB · Views: 61
    • IMG_8148.jpg
      IMG_8148.jpg
      50 KB · Views: 59

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    Sling certainly looks like a Japanese product to me, my money is on it being original. Looks similar to a couple pictured in the T99 book that have a comment about that cloth style being often found on later war rifles. Probably would have had a brass or steel stud at the end (where yours is wrapped around the rear swivel). May not be hard to find a modern stud that could serve as a replacement just to secure that end of the sling. Cleaning rod looks good to go too :thumbsup:

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Funny how I can get all excited over the little accessories like slings, muzzle covers, etc. Really do sweeten the pot for me.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    A nice fellow in Switzerland was able to give me a little insight on Walter Bühler from the K11’s Soldier Tag. He must have been a pretty cool guy.

“Mr. Bühler was a tough man. Gren Kp means he served in the infantery elite - the Grenadier troops. Sorta comparable to Army Rangers. Back then Grenadiers where mainly tasked with gathering intelligence behind enemy lines. The Grenadier school was and still is in Isone, a small village in the Alps in the canton of Tessin.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom