• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    can someone confirm or refute that property taxes are calculated based on the selling price of a house there? Looking at a house now but my realtor told me taxes would be recalculated based on the selling price (and therefore increase) if we bought the place... which I do not think is true... but I dunno for sure.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    For a few years.

Then your house will be reassessed on values similar houses will sale for in the area.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    can someone confirm or refute that property taxes are calculated based on the selling price of a house there? Looking at a house now but my realtor told me taxes would be recalculated based on the selling price (and therefore increase) if we bought the place... which I do not think is true... but I dunno for sure.

Yes and no. Your upcoming property taxes will be based off of like sized houses that sell in your area. So in my case in town the housing market is full of management companies that are buying for investment purposes which sways the market in both directions. When the market is strong they sell for more than most folks can afford, when low the gutted places go dirt cheap. I've only gotten one reduction in 16 years of ownership. I finally got fed up and fought back.

When you get your assessment, dispute it. Challenge them to find a house built within 10 years of yours with the same land / building footprint. Make a note of anything that needs fixed or updated because otherwise you are being assessed on new house values. A simple letter knocked $6k off my assessment since my roof was dead. Next time it'll be windows...

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    What the H***** does this thread have to do with firearms or the 2nd amendment????:mad54:

WOW dude!!! Did you have a bad day or something?

You have been here since 2013 and should know by now that this community helps each other with anything we can. I have personally benefited to the tune of thousands of dollars because of other members expertise and advice with numerous DIY projects. In turn I have helped others in my area of expertise and neither of these have been firearms or 2a related.

Hope your Saturday goes better than your Friday.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    They reassess your value every couple years and raise it. It went down "Slightly" when the housing bubble burst, but marginally and nothing like the perceived losses you would incur selling it.

My taxes were $1100 when I moving in about 2003 and went to $1300 because of the sale in a year or two. Built a three car garage, added a chimney and gabled roof over the patio. Between the improvements and changing assessed values I am at $2200 now. :mad54: The permits helped with insurance and refinancing, but damn it pounded my taxes.

You'd think doubling my rates in 14 years that they would be able to fix all the F'ing roads!! :rolleyes: Everyone's rates have shot up, lots of new houses and people, but the country roads still just get fricking band-aids every winter and a tar and chipping every two years.

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    They reassess your value every couple years and raise it. It went down "Slightly" when the housing bubble burst, but marginally and nothing like the perceived losses you would incur selling it.

My taxes were $1100 when I moving in about 2003 and went to $1300 because of the sale in a year or two. Built a three car garage, added a chimney and gabled roof over the patio. Between the improvements and changing assessed values I am at $2200 now. :mad54: The permits helped with insurance and refinancing, but damn it pounded my taxes.

You'd think doubling my rates in 14 years that they would be able to fix all the F'ing roads!! :rolleyes: Everyone's rates have shot up, lots of new houses and people, but the country roads still just get fricking band-aids every winter and a tar and chipping every two years.

thanks everyone for the responses. Wife and I had been looking at Wash county because of the prop taxes were better than Frederick. Seems like the assessment resets based on sales price. I have written to county for confirmation, but assuming that's the case, one of the benefits we saw of moving to wash county has disappeared, and taxes would be comparable to what we are paying in fred county. as I am nearing retirement age, this is a real consideration for us. I can't talk the wife into WV yet.

TrappedinMD

Dec 15, 2011
    Western MD
    The Washington county tax rate is 1.082% compared to Frederick at 1.191% from what i can find (and matches what i pay). So Frederick is 10% higher.

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    Probably doesn't apply to you but Wash county is possibly the only county in MD that gives you a corresponding percentage break on your property taxes as your VA disability rating. The rest of the state is all or none. My BIL has an 80% VA rating and 80% of his property taxes are gone. Lucky bastard. I'm 90% but get jack shit from Coward County.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Late to the thread, but ... This is the Western Md Regional subForum, not MD 2A . Wide latitude in subject matter, so long as relates to the relevant region, and general standards of decency. Possibly could have gone to the WC ,but it does relate to a specific County in WM.

My other thought is Damn you people have cheap property takes if those are annual numbers . Heck, not bad for semi-annual.

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    The Washington county tax rate is 1.082% compared to Frederick at 1.191% from what i can find (and matches what i pay). So Frederick is 10% higher.

yes you are 100% correct, but diff not enuf to justify closing costs, etc. EXCEPT this place is dead center between our kids/grandkids in Frederick and our aging parents in Hancock area where wife and I grew up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom