• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Does anybody know of private land that will be available for hunting white tailed antlered deer for this coming season? I am looking for a one day hunt with a friend using firearms (11/30 - 12/14 and 1/10 - 1/12) or muzzleloader (12/21 - 1/4). We will be donating the harvest to Farmers and Hunters Feeding the Hungry.

Please send aPM or an email to andy@knaster.info.

Thanks,
    Andy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

on_the_rox

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2009
    Whiteford, MD
    available for hunting white tailed antlered deer for this coming season?

Are you looking to only hunt bucks as suggested by your post? Antlered deer? If so why? Especially if you are donating the meat. Good luck with your quest. I suggest scouting some public land near you.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    The antlered deer reference is based on the 2013-2014 Maryland Hunting Calendar. The private land hunts appear to be restricted to antlered deer. I could be mistaken. After all, this will be my first year hunting.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    One reason I'm looking for private land is I am ring to reduce the number of variables that could come into play on public land. On private land, all I need to be concerned with is safety, the owner's wishes, and the deer. I'm looking at public land as well. I just figured as a newbie without an experienced hunter guiding me, I was best off in a more secluded environment.

Hattrick

Mar 7, 2013
    I would suggest get a friend to take you or get a guided hunt lined up being its ur first time out

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    One reason I'm looking for private land is I am ring to reduce the number of variables that could come into play on public land. On private land, all I need to be concerned with is safety, the owner's wishes, and the deer. I'm looking at public land as well. I just figured as a newbie without an experienced hunter guiding me, I was best off in a more secluded environment.

That's good but reality says that just isn't going to happen unless you know someone and well. As an oldie this is the reality of hunting. Look at the map I posted, it's almost certain other than opening day you may not even see another hunter around the W-46 areas which also includes Wicomico Demo Forest. Hunting on public lands has seemed to have died off in the last few decades and much more land is available.

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    So it sounds like all you want to do is kill some deer then give them away? What you don't like the taste of deer meat.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    I'll take any deer. I'm working towards my hormones being "better" ( thyroid- taking synthroid for my hypothyroidism, and getting off the damned Zoloft that made me gain weight more easily years ago) and going after losing weight with paleo/low carb style diet. I need lots of meat- I need to lose 75 pounds minimum.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    I'll take any deer. I'm working towards my hormones being "better" ( thyroid- taking synthroid for my hypothyroidism, and getting off the damned Zoloft that made me gain weight more easily years ago) and going after losing weight with paleo/low carb style diet. I need lots of meat- I need to lose 75 pounds minimum.

Good luck, Id settle for losing 40 or 50 but I LIKE to eat. :o Maybe I should start smoking again. :)

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Mark, that's a valid question. I like venison, but my objective in hunting is to provide dinner for someone else. I'm involved with the Christian ministry Farmers and Hunters Feeding the Hungry (FHFH). I don't have the money to buy 100 of pounds of meat for hungry families, but I can combine my love of shooting with my desire to help the less fortunate to give them the food they need. Not only does this line up with my understanding of the responsibly I have as a Christian to serve others, it also is in harmony with my commitment to Libertarianism. I think that the government does a lousy job of charity and should leave it to those who do it for love. People accuse Libertarians of being all about theories. FHFH had donated over one million pounds of high quality meat to families in need at zero cost to the tax payer. There is a great saying, if you aren't part of the solution, you're part of the problem. I want to be part of the solution.
    I don't begrudge others that don't do this. Hunting provides a great source of food for our own families. I used to live in Green Bay, WI. I had friends that depended on the winter catch to feed their families. Hunting is also a vital activity for protecting the environment. We have over developed our land and so the deer have fewer places to feed. Hunters working with the DNR help keep the deer population healthy and balanced.

Rhino

Dec 6, 2008
    Mount Airy

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Thanks for the references guys. I've done a fair amount of reading, but getting input from experienced folks like you is very helpful.

Regarding the antlered/antlerless thing, I'm a bit confused because the DNR hunting calendar has separate entries for each. Could you please clarify?

Thanks.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Mark, that's a valid question. I like venison, but my objective in hunting is to provide dinner for someone else. I'm involved with the Christian ministry Farmers and Hunters Feeding the Hungry (FHFH). I don't have the money to buy 100 of pounds of meat for hungry families, but I can combine my love of shooting with my desire to help the less fortunate to give them the food they need. Not only does this line up with my understanding of the responsibly I have as a Christian to serve others, it also is in harmony with my commitment to Libertarianism. I think that the government does a lousy job of charity and should leave it to those who do it for love. People accuse Libertarians of being all about theories. FHFH had donated over one million pounds of high quality meat to families in need at zero cost to the tax payer. There is a great saying, if you aren't part of the solution, you're part of the problem. I want to be part of the solution.
    I don't begrudge others that don't do this. Hunting provides a great source of food for our own families. I used to live in Green Bay, WI. I had friends that depended on the winter catch to feed their families. Hunting is also a vital activity for protecting the environment. We have over developed our land and so the deer have fewer places to feed. Hunters working with the DNR help keep the deer population healthy and balanced.

Nice put, especially given the effort from one's phone. Good luck with your hunt.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Thanks. This may sound like an ad, but this Samsung Galaxy Note II had this swipe function on the keyboard. I just start dragging the stylus or my fingertip across the keyboard without lifting it and the phone figures out the words about 95% of the time. It took me about 60 seconds to write this post.

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    I think that the government does a lousy job of charity
    You ain't kidding, they shouldn't be in the 'charity' business.
    If you've never shot a deer before, look at YouTube to see how to properly gut
    (field dress) a deer. Ain't hard, just a little messy.
    Not gonna find private property this late in the year, start looking towards next year.
    My buddy always gets at least one deer on public lands each year.
    Good luck, and good on ya!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom