• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Does anyone have an original (not .32 ACP conversion) cylinder for a Nagant M1895 revolver? I am looking to have a second cylinder to use as a speed-loader (of sorts). It doesn't have to be pretty. My pistol is a 1917 Tula era of Peter the Great model.

bkraft

Jul 24, 2008
    Eldersburg
    He's just looking for a second cylinder. What's wrong with that??

Buymilsurp gets them in from time to time. I'd keep an eye on their site.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    I personally would not mess with a 1917 dated one. I would get a much more common 40's one and go to town and do as he sees fit with that one. Nagants are getting harder to find, esp the earler ones. I would not suggest messing with it.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Speed loading a Nagant? Seems kinda a moot point for a Nagant to me. I have seen some on GB/Ebay before when I was looking for a .32 cylinder. Post pics of your 1917.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    buymilsurp.com shows sold out and $50!
    My speed loader is a dowel rod to pop the spent cases out pushing from the front.
    For me, trying to pull the cylinder out and fiddling with the cylinder pin takes more time than just reloading.
    If I continue to shoot the Nagant at the range, the time to reload helps cool the barrel down.

knastera, Good luck on the search! Parts are harder to find, I'm still looking for a new mainspring for mine.

Attachments

• palerider.jpg
      palerider.jpg
      5.5 KB · Views: 374

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Speed loading a Nagant? Seems kinda a moot point for a Nagant to me. I have seen some on GB/Ebay before when I was looking for a .32 cylinder. Post pics of your 1917.
    I understand your point about speed loading my Nagant, but I'd like a second cylinder anyway. Maybe I should just buy a second one (I like the sound of that)

Here are some pics
    a1Afre-lq

a1Afre-lp

a1Afre-lo

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    That is a great early Nagant. Please don't mess with it, it should be a occasional shooter and safe queen. Early ones fetch a premium, please don't mess with it. Get a 1940's to mess with. PPPPPPLEASE!

Well I need a second cylinder for my Nagant (don't think it's a 1917) as well but am having a real hard time finding one. One of the chambers of my current cylinder is really hard to unload after it's been fired like the casing expands and gets wedged in there. I just want a second one for shooting and be able to leave the original in the safe. Has anyone found any sources for parts?

planktonadbc

Jun 20, 2013
    Harpers Ferry
    Well I need a second cylinder for my Nagant (don't think it's a 1917) as well but am having a real hard time finding one. One of the chambers of my current cylinder is really hard to unload after it's been fired like the casing expands and gets wedged in there. I just want a second one for shooting and be able to leave the original in the safe. Has anyone found any sources for parts?

The only source I used for classics is Numrich
    https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/mosin-nagant/1895-nagant-revolver

and Apex.
    https://www.apexgunparts.com

I waited years before they had p38 magazine in, and eventually they did.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo

Are you shooting PPU, Russian Surplus or other?
    I have experienced the PPU or reloads if they have been annealed too much, the brass is soft and really does not contract back down after firing. The surplus is corrosive and a slightly higher recoil but I think the cases are harder.

I have fired 32 S&W Long in mine and it has no problems getting case out. (research using 32 S&W Long in Nagant first)

planktonadbc

Jun 20, 2013
    Harpers Ferry
    I have experienced the PPU or reloads if they have been annealed too much, the brass is soft and really does not contract back down after firing. The surplus is corrosive and a slightly higher recoil but I think the cases are harder.

I have fired 32 S&W Long in mine and it has no problems getting case out. (research using 32 S&W Long in Nagant first)

I have shot PPU and surplus in both my 1927 and 1932. I bought 2 crates of 1977 surplus with my brother in law. The cylinder stick happens in my 1927 and not in the 1932. I have no idea why. It doesn't matter what ammo, PPU or surplus. However, as I shoot the 1927 and warms up the issue seems to fix itself? So I thought some residual cosmo, so I used some JB bore bright, blue and then red top on the cylinder of the 1927.

Occasionally now, I get one round that I have to tap, but it's fine. I like your comment, "annealed too much, the brass is soft and really does not contract back down after firing" that would explain why it expands and get tight...
    Still fun to shoot and pretty accurate, if you know where the sights are lined up.
    I've never tried 32 S&W long in mine, I have to try that. The ammo is hard to find and somewhat expensive.

Attachments

• 20180316_175853.jpg
      20180316_175853.jpg
      93.4 KB · Views: 118
    Last edited:
    The only source I used for classics is Numrich
    https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/mosin-nagant/1895-nagant-revolver

and Apex.
    https://www.apexgunparts.com

I waited years before they had p38 magazine in, and eventually they did.

Thank you I will keep and eye out to see if they come in stock.

I have only fired the PPU out of it, I might need to try a different source, it sticks so bad I have to use the ejector rod to get it out and some times it's really tough then. Has anyone used the Fiocchi 7.62 NAGANT ammo & if so how does it run through the gun?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom