• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Woody

Oct 27, 2017
    Picked this up today at the show outside of Philadelphia...

So nice to have that $30 C&R, and be able to just sign the copy of my license, hand over cash, and walk out with that beast.

It's in beautiful condition...I wish I had remembered to move my ear plugs from around my neck to in my ears before I squeezed off that first round after I got home, but I'm sure my ears will stop ringing before Christmas...

First revolver... Figured I'd start with a bang!

Woody
    ec0cd410b80875d1a1bedded04702456.jpg
    6816569fb867e8e84580fe7bc3fbfbba.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Mid 50's manufacture. Early diamond target stocks without the football cut out. Not "cokes", but very likely original to the revolver. A beautiful example of an N frame Smith .357 Magnum.

Woody

Oct 27, 2017
    I paid $950, and was happy with that. May not be a spectacular 'deal'... But that's not really my primary concern with these old guns especially. You know it isn't going to go down in value from there...

Woody

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I paid $950, and was happy with that. May not be a spectacular 'deal'... But that's not really my primary concern with these old guns especially. You know it isn't going to go down in value from there...

Woody

Beautiful gun. Kind of makes you wish you had access to a time machine, doesn't it?

Woody

Oct 27, 2017
    If you have never shot an N frame Smith and Wesson .357 Magnum....a vintage one, prepare yourself. There are few experiences better.
    I've not handled many revolvers, and very few large frame types at that... All I can say is I am just enjoying holding it and looking at it and playing with it. What a different feel from anything else I've shot since getting into pistols. It just seems to have a bit more of that... Work of art factor to it, in addition to being just awesomely intimidating... This is a very hard gun to not take seriously.
    I may need more...I think it's a disease...

Woody

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I've not handled many revolvers, and very few large frame types at that... All I can say is I am just enjoying holding it and looking at it and playing with it. What a different feel from anything else I've shot since getting into pistols. It just seems to have a bit more of that... Work of art factor to it, in addition to being just awesomely intimidating... This is a very hard gun to not take seriously.
    I may need more...I think it's a disease...

Woody

I am on my 4th S&W revolver. I started with a 1967 Model 10-6, then a 1964 Model 27-2, then another 10-6 from 1969, and now a 1984 586 (no dash). They are addictive.

python

Apr 15, 2010
    $950.00 is only a little steep for a 6", but a great revolver nonetheless, and it appears to be in nice condition. The 4" does command prices in that range or a little higher if the condition dictates. I really like the postwar, pre-model number guns. IMO, they represent a high point in S&W production. FYI, the target stocks were the only option offered for the HP and were almost never numbered to the gun, since they did not require fitting. From a collector standpoint, the numbered magnas are more desirable, but they are horrible for shooting. The targets are worth a tidy sum on their own, and you might want to get some aftermarket stocks for shooting purposes. Enjoy it.

Woody

Oct 27, 2017
    $950.00 is only a little steep for a 6", but a great revolver nonetheless, and it appears to be in nice condition. The 4" does command prices in that range or a little higher if the condition dictates. I really like the postwar, pre-model number guns. IMO, they represent a high point in S&W production. FYI, the target stocks were the only option offered for the HP and were almost never numbered to the gun, since they did not require fitting. From a collector standpoint, the numbered magnas are more desirable, but they are horrible for shooting. The targets are worth a tidy sum on their own, and you might want to get some aftermarket stocks for shooting purposes. Enjoy it.
    I am looking for a set of stocks so I can preserve the original grips. Narrowing down... Leaning towards Pachmayr... Any suggestions?

I am also looking for a nice Model 27 or one of the Pre-27 357's, if anyone wants to see one happy in a new home...

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter

Woody

On the contrary, I think you got a good deal.

That gun will indeed only rise in value, and you now have a piece (pun) of history that you can pass down to the next generation of Woodys. :thumbsup:

manderson

Ultimate Member
    Jun 3, 2008
    Hard to believe you hold a C&R license and are new to revolvers. What else do you collect? Have you dated your pre-28? I love old pistols, but they are getting more expensive every day. You found a great deal imho.

Mid 50's manufacture. Early diamond target stocks without the football cut out. Not "cokes", but very likely original to the revolver. A beautiful example of an N frame Smith .357 Magnum.
    Precisely. Nothing worse than gun dealers who remove the original diamond target stocks and sell them separately. Sad but true, it happens a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom